TakePartyItem and TakePartyItemNum

aVENGER_(RR)

Contrary to the current IESDP description, action #116 - TakePartyItem(S:Item*) actually takes a single stack of the referenced items from the party instead of just one item. For example, if Player1 has 5 Potions of Extra Healing in his first quickslot and 3 Potions of Extra Healing in his second quickslot, then TakePartyItem("POTN52") would remove the entire stack of 5 potions from his first quickslot and leave the 3 potions in his second quickslot intact.

As for action #204 - TakePartyItemNum(S:ResRef*,I:Num*) if a stack of items which is to be taken is currently inside one of the quickslots, then this action will bump the stack from the quickslot into the first free inventory slot after removing the desired item amount. For example, in the abovementioned situation, TakePartyItemNum("POTN52",1) would take 1 Potion of Extra Healing from the stack of potions in Player1's first quickslot and then place the remaining 4 potions into his first free inventory slot. No idea why it does that, but unfortunately, that can cause Player1 to drop an item to the ground in case all of his inventory slots are currently full.

EDIT: it also appears that action 169 - DestroyItem(S:ResRef*) merely removes a single stack of the referenced item from the target's inventory, rather than completely removing all instances of the referenced item as IESDP currently states.

A is known (the reason you sometimes lose a whole stack of diamonds, etc., in the default game).

I've never heard B mentioned, but it doesn't surprise me (it sounds like the engine does Take() and then Give(quantity - 1)).

C is known (I'm not sure why the IESDP has that -- you need a "looping" condition or TakePartyItemAll() to get rid of every occurrence).

I've never heard B mentioned, but it doesn't surprise me (it sounds like the engine does Take() and then Give(quantity - 1)).

I wonder if this is related to the oddness with TakePartyItemNum("item",x) on containers with y items where x > y, where you get the unremovable phantom item (I think it was Smoketest who found this)? Maybe the same thing happens to .cre files also?

/edit

No, it doesn't. Inventory droppage only occurs when Take X < Has Y.

I wonder if this is related to the oddness with TakePartyItemNum("item",x) on containers with y items where x > y, where you get the unremovable phantom item

The bugs/oversights I noticed with TakePartyItemNum and TakePartyItemAll (in BG2) were tied to carried containers such as bags.

- If you had only 20 Arrows and they were in a bag, and you used TakePartyItemNum("arow01",99), the item stack would appear to the player to have been completely removed, though a hidden "phantom" stack with a quantity of zero would remain in the bag's STO component.

- If you try to remove all instances of an item with TakePartyItemAll, it will ignore whatever is stored in carried containers (bags). This annoying limitation is what prompted me to use TakePartyItemNum instead, which led to the above observation.

Archived