BG2 Fixpack&Scriptable Spells 1.4

Salk

Hello!

In my deep ignorance, I was wondering what the relation between the above mentioned mods is. Do they come along together well enough?

Does the first include the fixes made to spells by Cirerrek's mod?

I am just asking because over at SHS there is a popular attempt to build a comprehensive guide to MegaMod installation and there it is suggested to install both BG2 Fixpack and Scriptable Spells.

Thanks! :)

Scriptable spells is just setting the level of some of the innate and special ability spells to 1 so they can be cast. It should already be included with the fixpack (we take care of it on install).

Detectable spells is not included and has been in poor shape for a long time.

Scriptable spells is just setting the level of some of the innate and special ability spells to 1 so they can be cast.

Two questions regarding this:

1) I assume that setting the spell level this way only affects the place where the spell will show up in a spellbook (if applicable). It doesn't make the spells/abilities/whatever bounce of a Minor Globe of Invulnerability and such, right? (As that should be handled by the Power level).

2) Many of the innate abilities which are applied (as in AP_xxxxxxx) via CLABxxxx.2DA files have their levels set at 0 in both the unmodded game and in Rogue Rebalancing. I assume this won't be a problem since they are never supposed to be called via script, contrary to the abilities which are gained (as in GA_xxxxxxx). Is that correct?

1) I assume that setting the spell level this way only affects the place where the spell will show up in a spellbook (if applicable). It doesn't make the spells/abilities/whatever bounce of a Minor Globe of Invulnerability and such, right? (As that should be handled by the Power level).

Yep.

2) Many of the innate abilities which are applied (as in AP_xxxxxxx) via CLABxxxx.2DA files have their levels set at 0 in both the unmodded game and in Rogue Rebalancing. I assume this won't be a problem since they are never supposed to be called via script, contrary to the abilities which are gained (as in GA_xxxxxxx). Is that correct?

An innate spell with a level set to anything but one will crash the game if it's used in a HaveSpell("foo") trigger. We change only a handful of spells--those most likely to be used in AI scripts--and only the level gets changed. If there's no reason to use a spell in a HaveSpell() trigger there's no need to worry about the level.

Like Cam mentions, innates with an incorrect level can crash the game if used with HaveSpell() triggers. This isn't the case with wizard and priest spells, and changing the level of the innate spells shouldn't have any other effect; CLABs don't need it (when's the last time somebody wanted HaveSpell(APPLY_BARBARIAN_MAGIC_RESISTANCE)), so they're fine with Level 0.

Note that SpellCastInnate() will only work if the innate spell has the correct level (e.g., SPIN901 *must* be Level 9 if you want to detect it with SpellCastInnate()). I think we used to break the trap checks for a couple of the ToB scripts by changing the trap spell levels to 1 (since somebody may want to check them with HaveSpell()); not sure if we still do.

We're only patching innates granted by kit abilities (traps, Boon of Lathander, etc.) and abilities from a few items (moon dog and spider figurines). We haven't been patching other innates since one of the very early alphas.

Note that SpellCastInnate() will only work if the innate spell has the correct level (e.g., SPIN901 *must* be Level 9 if you want to detect it with SpellCastInnate()). I think we used to break the trap checks for a couple of the ToB scripts by changing the trap spell levels to 1 (since somebody may want to check them with HaveSpell()); not sure if we still do.

Yeah, as I recall, this may have affected some traps and I believe someone mentioned that Saladrex (sp?), one of the dragons in ToB, also checks SpellCastInnate().

That would be me, back when you were able to verify that RES* didn't work with these and that the SCI checks worked only when the correct level was set (basically, the generic and special traps and maybe the ToB HLA traps are checked by Saladrex and one other generic script (IIRC) for turning hostile if you buff up while they're neutral).

RE: not but kit and item spins -- my post mentions traps because those were the affected (the other bad innate was the Helm scrolls in WK, but I know we haven't patched that in forever).

Archived