Multiplayer Icewind Dale 2

Guest RequiemFugue

Guest RequiemFugue

Hi there. Apologies for breaking in here with a non-modding question, but since the Interplay forums are non-existant and tech support is the same, I thought a community like this was reasonably likely to have some multiplayer experience of Icewind Dale 2 and may have some clue as to why I can't get it to work.

A friend and I both have (legitimate) Icewind Dale 2 patched to 2.01. We have both tried hosting the game and the other has been unable to connect, and gets a "Cannot connect to session" error. This is through manually entering the IP address and through using Gamespy.

I have opened the ports it states in the readme.htm file on my computer (which I figure should let me host, at least) and on my router (2300-2400 TCP/UDP and 47624 TCP/UDP). I've also given IWD2 the permission to connect to the internet. My friend does not have adminstrator privileges on their PC. Is there any log file or anything the game makes that can show the error in more detail? Any way of telling whose computer is causing the problem? Could it be lack of Administrator on their computer (I think it's WinXP) or ports being blocked at their end? Are there any hints tips or tricks anyone can provide in getting this to work?

Also if anyone is kind enough to offer to make a Gamespy game and see if I can connect (that way we can narrow down the problem) that would be great.

Guest Daxil

Well, you could try with Hamachi. It works for most people. It used to work for me too, but now that I've upgraded my computer I can't play iwd2 online at all it seems. I always get the same "Cannot Conn..". Any help regarding this topic would be much appreciated. :crazyeyes:

-Daxil

I have opened the ports it states in the readme.htm file on my computer (which I figure should let me host, at least) and on my router (2300-2400 TCP/UDP and 47624 TCP/UDP). I've also given IWD2 the permission to connect to the internet. My friend does not have adminstrator privileges on their PC. Is there any log file or anything the game makes that can show the error in more detail? Any way of telling whose computer is causing the problem? Could it be lack of Administrator on their computer (I think it's WinXP) or ports being blocked at their end? Are there any hints tips or tricks anyone can provide in getting this to work?

I have very limited knowledge of getting the IE games work to over the net, as I always play in LAN. I do know that it's possible to get IWD2 to work with TCP because I had to try that once when I had problems with getting Lionheart MP to work (there no LAN support in that game).

However I *think* that your friend should open the same ports as you and give IWD permission to connect the internet. The game should be able to send information back and forth, so both ends should be "open" before it can work. If you friend can't do that the because the lack of administrator privileges, he/she should probably contact whoever has them for help.

I hope you get the MP game to work, it's loads of fun!

EDIT: Oops, the date.

Guest ATSV

I have very limited knowledge of getting the IE games work to over the net, as I always play in LAN. I do know that it's possible to get IWD2 to work with TCP because I had to try that once when I had problems with getting Lionheart MP to work (there no LAN support in that game).

However I *think* that your friend should open the same ports as you and give IWD permission to connect the internet. The game should be able to send information back and forth, so both ends should be "open" before it can work. If you friend can't do that the because the lack of administrator privileges, he/she should probably contact whoever has them for help.

I'm sorry to resurrect such an old thread but it appears I have the same issue, it says "cannot connect..." and then (with my OS being the hell that is Vista) quits to desktop, just for fun it seems.

Has anyone worked out any kind of fix?

Guest Guest

I'm sorry to resurrect such an old thread but it appears I have the same issue, it says "cannot connect..." and then (with my OS being the hell that is Vista) quits to desktop, just for fun it seems.

Has anyone worked out any kind of fix?

actually, sorry, to resurrect once again - it says it's trying to connect and "may take some time" then exits to desktop really quickly... strange thing is, I got it to work once on Gamespy but after leaving that game, it no longer works at all.

any help would be much appreciated.

xx

Guest guest2202

Necro'ing this because I am having a similar problem. My bf and I are trying to connect through a TCP/IP connection. I am using XP, and he Vista. Every time I try to start a multi game through TCP/IP it goes through alright. When he tries however, IWD completely crashes and flies him back to his desktop.

Obviously comments like "Avoid using Vista" are not helpful in any way, as it doesn't address to the actual problem we're having. I can't just hop up and go get XP for my other computer, unfortunately, my last name isn't Moneybags. Anything come up since the last person with problems? It's 2009 now, so I would hope /someone/ would have come up with something...

Your actual problem is Vista, so avoid using it, heh.

You could try using the newest SP for it.

You could give a shot to Linux+Wine, but it is not an easy path either.

It is hard enough to make the games work in single player (but possible), and i have no idea about MP.

I just mention it because you say you cannot afford an XP.

Guest Guest_Luridel_*

I don't think Vista's the problem.

I know fullscreen vs. windowed mode made a difference for me, once, and I'd try running it in windowed mode just to see if that changes anything. Other than that? Get Hamachi.

I know fullscreen vs. windowed mode made a difference for me, once, and I'd try running it in windowed mode just to see if that changes anything. Other than that? Get Hamachi.

Vista is easy to fix. I'm trying to play the game right now with a friend, but they "cannot connect". To solve Vista's issues, simply open IWD2 config file and tell it to run in window'd, 16 bit. Then change the compatability mode of IWD2 to run as XP Service Pack 2, and run as administrator.

While the game is window'd, you should be able to join/start any game without it crashing out. When you're in the game (I've not successfully done that yet), you can alt+enter to maximize it..

Hope that helps.

Vista is easy to fix. I'm trying to play the game right now with a friend, but they "cannot connect". To solve Vista's issues, simply open IWD2 config file and tell it to run in window'd, 16 bit. Then change the compatability mode of IWD2 to run as XP Service Pack 2, and run as administrator.

While the game is window'd, you should be able to join/start any game without it crashing out. When you're in the game (I've not successfully done that yet), you can alt+enter to maximize it..

Hope that helps.

My issue was slightly different when i created or try to join a new game i got a black screen and would have to ctrl alt del, end task

Just wanted to shout out a big thanks to you, running in windowed and then maximising once i was past the problem bit has solved it for me. Didnt need to do anything else. Running vista, with iwd2 latest patch.

Guest Guest_Lightning

I have had the same problem i have xfire (tonner14) i have never heard of himatchi?? I see what it is. If it helps it run then im A ok PS IWD2 never works on vista.

Guest Guest

Please help me guys. I have vista and got to point where i can create my own game however my friends cant join me and i cant join them! We are using hamachi both and can ping each other through it. He has xp, i have vista!

Guest Smigra.el.nigra
Please help me guys. I have vista and got to point where i can create my own game however my friends cant join me and i cant join them! We are using hamachi both and can ping each other through it. He has xp, i have vista!

Bump.

Archived