Aldeth and the druids

Shaitan

Hi!

I can't be the only one experiencing troubles with Aldeth and the Druid at Cloackwood 1. It's not a very big deal, but when the druid and his fellow druidic croons arrives after you talked to Sahenstar (sp?) there must be a script for these croons, which is very heavy (or something other is bad). These three guys really can make my pc choke like an old car.

Regards and thanks for a great mod

What do you mean? Does it cause stuttering or are they just too difficult? If the latter, what level/classes are you and your party members?

Edit: Are you running SCS or something? BG1NPC doesn't change Seniyad and the druids (druid3.cre) by Cloakwood Lodge. Or are you talking about the BG1NPC-specific archdruid (Andarthe) and his minions on the map with the treehouse?

Oh I really thought it was BG1NPC wich changes Jaheiras quest at the lodge when meeting the guy wanting the party to kill some druids. My weidu.log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name

~EASYTUTUDEGREENIFIER.TP2~ #0 #0 // EasyTutu Degreenifier

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #2 // Assign a kit to Ajantis? -> Ajantis: Undead Hunter

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #21 // Assign a kit to Imoen? -> Imoen: Swashbuckler

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #29 // Assign a kit to Kivan? -> Kivan: Archer

~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Sensible weapon restrictions for MODS

~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #13 // Sensible weapon restrictions for BG1Tutu

~SETUP-TGC1E.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Grey Clan Episode One: In Candlelight, BG1TUTU edition v1.10 -> Normal edition

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications for Version 14, September 18, 2007

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #2 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Edwin his BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #3 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Imoen her BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #4 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Jaheira her BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #5 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Minsc his BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #6 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Viconia her BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #8 // The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joinable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #9 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #11 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #14 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #15 // The BG1 NPC Project: Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #16 // The BG1 NPC Project: NPCs can be sent to wait in an inn.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #18 // The BG1 NPC Project: Alora's Starting Location. -> Alora Starts in Gullykin.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #20 // The BG1 NPC Project: Eldoth's Starting Location. -> Eldoth Starts on the Coast Way.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #22 // The BG1 NPC Project: Quayle's Starting Location. -> Quayle Starts at the Nashkel Carnival.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #24 // The BG1 NPC Project: Tiax's Starting Location. -> Tiax Starts in Beregost.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #25 // Jason Compton's Accelerated Banter Script.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #27 // The BG1 NPC Project: Bardic Reputation Adjustment

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #29 // The BG1 NPC Project: Cloakwood areas availability in Chapter One -> Open four Cloakwood areas (everything but the Mines)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #30 // The BG1 NPC Project: Sarevok's Diary Adjustments -> SixofSpades Extended Sarevok's Diary

~BG1NPCMUSIC/BG1NPCMUSIC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project Music Pack

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ice Island Level Two Restoration

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #1 // The Mysterious Vial

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #2 // Additional Elminster Encounter

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #8 // Safana the Flirt

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #9 // Appropriate Albert and Rufie Reward

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #10 // Place Entar Silvershield in His Home

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #11 // Scar and the Sashenstar's Daughter

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #12 // Quoningar, the Cleric

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #13 // Shilo Chen and the Ogre-Magi

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #14 // Edie, the Merchant League Applicant

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #15 // Flaming Fist Mercenary Reinforcements

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #16 // Creature Corrections

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #17 // Creature Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #18 // Creature Name Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #20 // Audio Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #21 // Store, Tavern and Inn Fixes and Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #22 // Item Corrections and Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #23 // Area Corrections and Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #25 // Elven Charm and Sleep Racial Immunity

~IIITEMMOD/SETUP-IIITEMMOD.TP2~ #0 #1 // Items

~IIPROJECTILER/SETUP-IIPROJECTILER.TP2~ #0 #2001 // Projectile Retrieval Mod -> Easy TUTU

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Remove Helmet Animations

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #40 // Change Viconia's Skin Color to Dark Blue

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Weapon Animation Tweaks

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #70 // Icewind Dale Casting Graphics (Andyr)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #110 // Icon Improvements

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #120 // Change Avatar When Wearing Robes or Armor (Galactygon)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1060 // Breakable Iron Nonmagical Shields, Helms, and Armor

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1090 // Exotic Item Pack

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1100 // Reveal City Maps When Entering Area

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1110 // Add Map Notes

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1120 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2040 // Universal Clubs

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2050 // Description Updates for Universal Clubs Component

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2060 // Weapon Styles for All

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Change Experience Point Cap -> Remove Experience Cap

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2100 // Allow Thieving and Stealth in Heavy Armor

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Allow Arcane Spellcasting in Heavy Armor

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2192 // Limit Ability of Storekeepers to Identify Items -> Hybrid of Both Methods

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2200 // Multi-Class Grand Mastery (Weimer)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grand Mastery (Baldurdash)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2220 // Change Magically Created Weapons to Zero Weight

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2230 // Make +x/+y Weapons Consistent

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2231 // Description Updates for Make +x/+y Weapons Consistent Component

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2240 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2261 // Alter Mage Spell Progression Table -> PnP Table

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2271 // Alter Bard Spell Progression Table -> PnP Table

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2281 // Alter Cleric Spell Progression Table -> PnP Table

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2291 // Alter Druid Spell and Level Progression Tables -> No Level Progression Changes, PnP Druid/Cleric Spell Table Only

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2312 // Add Save Penalties for Spells Cast by High-Level Casters -> Arcane & Divine Magic

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Unlimited Ammo Stacking

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3090 // Unlimited Gem and Jewelry Stacking

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3100 // Unlimited Potion Stacking

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Unlimited Scroll Stacking

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3125 // Neutral Characters Make Happy Comments at Mid-Range Reputation

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3200 // Sellable Staffs, Clubs, and Slings (Icelus)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Adjust Evil joinable NPC reaction rolls

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4031 // Consistent Stats: Edwin -> Use BG2 Values

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4041 // Consistent Stats: Jaheira -> Use BG2 Values

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Change Jaheira to Neutral Good

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4061 // Consistent Stats: Minsc -> Use BG2 Values

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4071 // Consistent Stats: Viconia -> Use BG2 Values

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Correct various errors on race, class etc

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #20 // Make elemental arrows more like their BG2 counterparts

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #30 // Make Protection from Normal Missiles block magical missiles

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #40 // Replace many magic weapons with fine ones -> Fine weapons are affected by the iron crisis

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #50 // Re-introduce potions of extra-healing

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Faster Bears

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #70 // Allow player to choose NPC proficiencies and skills

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #100 // Allow Yeslick to use axes

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #110 // Move NPCs to more convenient locations

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #120 // Smarter general AI

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Better calls for help

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #140 // Potions for NPCs

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #150 // Improved deployment for parties of assassins

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #160 // Smarter mages

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #170 // Mages pre-cast defensive spells

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #180 // Smarter priests

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #190 // Priests pre-cast defensive spells

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #200 // Smarter deployment

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #210 // Harder giant and phase spiders

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #220 // Dark Side-based kobold upgrade

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #230 // Smarter sirines and dryads

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #240 // Slightly harder carrion crawlers

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #250 // Smarter basilisks

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #260 // Improved doppelgangers

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #270 // Tougher Black Talons and Iron Throne guards

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #280 // Relocated bounty hunters

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #290 // Improved Ulcaster

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #300 // Improved Balduran's Isle

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #310 // Improved Durlag's Tower

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #320 // Improved Demon Cultists

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #330 // Improved miscellaneous encounters

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #340 // Tougher chapter-two end battle

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #350 // Tougher chapter-three end battle

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #360 // Tougher chapter-four end battle

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #370 // Tougher chapter-five end battle

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #380 // Tougher chapter-six end battle

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #390 // Improved final battle

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #400 // Skip Candlekeep

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #410 // Remove blur effect from displacer cloak

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #420 // Stackable ankheg shells and winterwolf pelts

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #440 // Ease-of-use player AI

If you do want to troubleshoot it, you can try just uninstalling these:

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #180 // Smarter priests
~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #190 // Priests pre-cast defensive spells

I know for fact SCS changes the behaviour of those druids - it says so in the TP2 around line 3610 et al. I had to investigate it while making another druid mod and trying to figure out how to be compatible with SCS. But I've never heard of slowdown with Smarter Priests - only Smarter Mages. I'm sure DavidW might be interested in hearing about it (in fact, maybe this whole topic could be moved to the SCS forum).

This is nothing new in SCS. In the default game, the supporting druids (druid3.cre) have a 28-line script that gives them a rather wussy Flame Blade and that's pretty much it.

Well, SCS overwrites this script (and the CREs themselves - one of the problems I had in the mod I was doing, since my script extensions were getting overwritten willy-nilly) with a 42-line script, then extends it with a 4681-line script. If that wasn't enough, it then extends it again with the 139-line priesttop.baf and the 211-line priestpot.baf. Hence the potential for stagger when 3 CREs fire through a 5000+ line script all at once.

I'm not bashing SCS (great mod - I love it) but I think that kind of scripting is overkill for a few 3rd-level druids. Yes, they are too easy in the vanilla game (complete pushovers in fact). Really, they should be 10th level if they're initiates to an archdruid, and Seniyad should be L13 if he's a real archdruid (2e PHB p. 53). But even with that upgrade, they don't need more than a 300-line script or so to cast all the spells they'd have at those levels, and do a few more "intelligent" things besides (drink potions etc.).

(I guessing only CamDawg can move a post from BG1NPC to SCS?)

Okay... so there are two sources of slowdown I can imagine with those druids:

1) when they're created, there'll be a one-off slowdown: you always get this when creatures with long scripts are created.

2) If you fight them, you'll fight three spellcasters with long scripts. That might cause lagging (it shouldn't cause any more lagging than with similarly large groups of mages or priests, though).

As for script length: if Miloch means "the script for a L3 priest only needs to be 300 lines" then that's got some truth in it. As an exercise, I just stripped it down to include only L3-relevant resources, and it's 1400 lines (the majority of that is their melee block). I could probably trim another 400 lines if I tried. If he means "even the script for a L10 priest only needs to be 300 lines, then I respectfully demur. The targetting for the Command spell takes 180 lines by itself!

In general SCS (and SCSII) makes a lot of use of general scripts for mages/priests. The reasoning here is that (a) it's a vast time-saver (I have time to design one really careful spellcaster combat script, but not dozens) and (b) for most spellcasters (those of L7 and up, say) it doesn't actually make a lot of difference.

Oooh, almost forgot: I can't do anything much about the fact that SCS overwrites scripts when it does: the original game DRUID3 is basically a combat script that has to be completely replaced, and I can't detect whether someone else's modification is or is not also going to have to be replaced. I can probably stop overwriting the CRE files, though. (I can't remember why I do; it's not normal in SCS.)

If he means "even the script for a L10 priest only needs to be 300 lines, then I respectfully demur. The targetting for the Command spell takes 180 lines by itself!
I guess it depends on how "smart" you want to make the priests (or druids in this case). I based this estimate on scripts I've previously done for the L13 archdruids, by figuring out how many and which spells they should have for their level/kit/alignment then giving them just the blocks they need for those spells. (FWIW, Command isn't one of those as it's a cleric-only spell.) And I usually have a single targetting block up front. Granted, I'm sure your scripts are a lot "smarter" than mine. Mine are perhaps more precise, but also more painful to produce, as you suggest. I guess it's a matter of striking a balance between time savings, intelligence and potential lag (perhaps even just having separate cleric and druid scripts would help somewhat).
I can probably stop overwriting the CRE files, though. (I can't remember why I do; it's not normal in SCS.)
I don't know why either - FotD and DSotSC also overwrite the CREs, but they're BG1-only (and the BGT version of DSotSC omits the druid3 change for some reason; in any case, it usually patches existing CREs). Patching the CRE would help a lot though - if I can't extend the druid3 script, I can at least assign the CRE a race or perhaps override script if you're not using those slots (and I want to try to avoid mandating my mod must be installed after SCS and possibly overwriting your changes).

Or you could just adopt my scripts for the druids and save us both a lot of time (I suppose, conceptually though, you would want to preserve your scripting style and probably don't want to incorporate my not-so-smart brand of scripting :p).

Archived