Tortures Mod

yarpen

Welcome. Maybe you know this title from SHS forum. It was an idea of my friend Sorrow/Delight. It was a flame topic, many people wanted to ban it. If you remember this, please - at first read. Then you can throw your rock on it.

And yes. Attention! I don't know why but it's topic for mature.

Okay. Then... What's going on? - you're asking.

No.. Not again. Sound of his voice is like a dagger pinning your head. Again he will torture you, kill only for resurrect you and repeat procedure... It cannot be a reality.

In vanilla BG2 at start we don't know too much. Okay. Wakeing up, but it sounds like a hangover, not a true torture. Sad but true. And we want to change it.

How? By writing "he raped you 4x per day"? No. Drastic, realistic descriptions are just stupid.

It can be done more literaly. And here my questions starts.

I can write it in polish. And I think it will be fine (my writings, believe me or not, represents fine level) but I need someone who will help in translation. Anyone?

And more technical. It's possible to create additional chapter screen?

At last, but not least of course. Do anyone like this idea? And will play with this mod? Or me and Sorrow, we're the only psychos here? :-)

I suppose I could write some equivalent prose if given a rough idea in English as I don't really know any Polish other than what a drunken guy tried to teach me in a pub when I was in Krakow.

Although I'm not sure as to the real benefit of this mod. It seems rather small to simply change a few dialogues...

[At last, but not least of course. Do anyone like this idea? And will play with this mod? Or me and Sorrow, we're the only psychos here? :-)]

After reading the thread provided by the bigg, I myself have to say no. I do not like nor would ever play this mod. I play games to have fun and enjoy myself. There is nothing fun or enjoyable about rape. It is a horrible and traumatic experience, I assure you. I don't think it should be brought into BG2 anymore than it already is.

After reading the thread provided by the bigg, I myself have to say no. I do not like nor would ever play this mod. I play games to have fun and enjoy myself. There is nothing fun or enjoyable about rape. It is a horrible and traumatic experience, I assure you. I don't think it should be brought into BG2 anymore than it already is.

Well, I linked that thread because it was mentioned by the OP, however what happened there is not bound to be what the mod will actually be like (and, to answer your objection, the only person talking about rape was one idiotic guest poster).

I'm pretty sure that a good writer should be able to make something good out of that, E.G. following Sim's suggestion:

It depends on the use of the descriptions. If you recall, one of my proposals for a potential Khalid romance was an extension of the Irenicus torture sequence culminating in him attempting to force the player to choose between Khalid and Jaheira (this was largely shot down on the grounds that it wouldn't allow for a "happy" enough romance). Clearly anyone with any kind of sense would not fill this with any sort of gratuitous bullshit, but it's still likely to be more provocative than the original sequence, because I don't think there are many people out there who can honestly say that Irenicus casting spells at you was anything but a hugely boring cutscene.

Of course, given that Delight/Sorrow is writing that I'm not going to hold my breath for a piece of writing on any subject that is not plain gratouitous.

I haven't read the thread, I'd just assumed the mod would consist of some more explanatory dialogue. But if what you're suggesting is a lengthened intro maybe as a prelude to Irenicus being attacked by the Shadows Thieves then I reckon it could be worthwhile.

I read the other thread, and while the first page is quite entertaining, I find the following pages and the idea itself pretty sick and tasteless.

I do read and write terrible stuff once in a while ("terrible" meaning violent, sick, dark, depressing, or just very badly written), but in the form of novels or stories. I don't want to see this kind of stuff in Baldur's Gate.

Yarpen, I didn't read the other thread (I am way behind in my forum reading), but I am afraid I am not into the whole torture thing at all, and find it already disturbing enough in vanilla BGII - SoA.

As a potential concept, it sounds doable, and there are tons of folks who write all sorts of very dark fanfics. Lord Mirrabo's Imoen romance features some pretty disturbing stuff, and it does not go into huge detail of the torture, but it is way too much for my sensibilities; I know there are is a modder (Istilven?? I am not sure - someone; I would have to go check) currently working on some dark issues, and The Mod for the Wicked, so there are some modders around to contact who are into the Dark Side... so there might be some folks who play it - but it really isn't my cup of tea.

The reason I don't like the idea? I feel like the opening and exactly what Irenicus did to the Bhaalspawn should be left up to the player's imagination, so they can roleplay it ingame or write about it on the exact level that they felt it would have been for their character, instead of being forced into "Irenicus did exactly this".

I don't know - it's a problem of my language or something else, but you misunderstand me. Sorry for that, I will try to explain this idea.

No raping. No sadomasoistic descriptions. I was writing about that - what shouldn't be there. I was thinking about making a good atmosphere by a true intro. Because original is (in my humble opinion) boring. Next super-hero was in the prison ;] Which was full of stupid goblins, morons like Ilyich and of course full of magical items :] And at last - character was fresh, without any signs of being tortured for a few days... or months?

I know - that's cool and heroic.

I didn't wanted to show homosexual rapes and (IMO) stupid descriptions (for example, I don't like some components of Romantic Encounters. Sometimes they're look very *silly*.) because, as you earlier said, the best form of showing things is to show them to imagination of a player. :]

Maybe it is the language thing. You said that you didn't think the opening intro gave enough of an impression of what happened to the PC, but now you're saying you don't plan to describe it?

And remember: with Romantic Encounters, it was possible to end the encounter at any time, for any reason. If it was too much, there was always the PC response option for "That's enough." Sure, some of the encounters were quite descriptive, but there was always that "way out," where the player could say "don't show me this." With Irenicus' dungeon, you can't do that. You're still in the dungeon. Give the player the ability to say "stop there, I don't want to see that part" and that really does make the opening dungeon rather unbelievable.

With this mod, it would all be there, the PC's experience spelled out.

If it was all going to be left to the player's imagination, then that's the way the game is now. No need for any mod at all.

Archived