Misfiring help script?

Guest erik

I'm currently trying to take down Tor'Gal, and it's proving hard. So I'm using all resources available, including a wand of monster summoning.

When it yields ogres, all is well. They work well as meatshields, for while.

But when it yields gnoll elites, I'm in trouble. As they turn hostile as soon as the fight gets going in earnest. I'm suspecting they have a unsuitable help script assigned... ?

Got it. They (GNOLLSU.CRE) 've got GENSHT01 assigned, which turns them hostile in that fight.

Blanking it and testing now :)

(Any more fitting script they should be assigned?)

Got it. They (GNOLLSU.CRE) 've got GENSHT01 assigned, which turns them hostile in that fight.

Blanking it and testing now :)

(Any more fitting script they should be assigned?)

Oops... yes, I've had a couple of problems like that, this one obviously slipped through my last check.

I should just leave it blank; your summons don't really need a help script.

Guest Blood Beast

Temple District Sewers, encounter with Tarnor the Hatchetman,

after dialogue, will not turn hostile no matter what I say. Is there a script issue involved?

Temple District Sewers, encounter with Tarnor the Hatchetman,

after dialogue, will not turn hostile no matter what I say. Is there a script issue involved?

There may be. (I'd thought it was fixed in v2, but perhaps not...) As a workaround, just attack him.

Guest Blood Beast

There's also a possible related bug with the berserk warrior summoned by the horn of valhalla, he turns hostile immediately upon appearing.

This problem goes away if I uninstall SCS II.

Guest Blood Beast
There's also a possible related bug with the berserk warrior summoned by the horn of valhalla, he turns hostile immediately upon appearing.

This problem goes away if I uninstall SCS II.

Ignore that last post, I re-installed SCS II immediately, and the problem is gone, so i can't duplicate it.

I serious problem though, is the Smarter General AI component, which deals with thieves' backstab. Whenever I drink a potion of invisibility, all the enemy thieves around me also disappears, which is a seriously overpowering cheat, considering the fact that enemy thieves can backstab even when they are not standing directly behind the victim. I don't know if that could be a script fix, or if it's an internal engine fault, but just wanna throw it out there, see what you think.

I serious problem though, is the Smarter General AI component, which deals with thieves' backstab. Whenever I drink a potion of invisibility, all the enemy thieves around me also disappears, which is a seriously overpowering cheat, considering the fact that enemy thieves can backstab even when they are not standing directly behind the victim. I don't know if that could be a script fix, or if it's an internal engine fault, but just wanna throw it out there, see what you think.

Are you soloing?

If so, I think I can see how that's happening. Basically enemy thieves hide in shadows whenever there aren't any characters visible. I could change it so they hide when there are no PCs in range, invisible or no... unsure if that's sensible or not. Probably.

Guest Blood Beast

Oh yes, I am playing solo some of the time,

enjoying the Smarter Mages and Clerics mod, but yeah, getting backstabbed by a gang of thieves over and over again :) ,

Basically enemy thieves hide in shadows whenever there aren't any characters visible. I could change it so they hide when there are no PCs in range, invisible or no... unsure if that's sensible or not. Probably.

I did this for the Shadow Thieves in RR a couple of versions ago. Basically, they only hide if there's no one around which is checked via !Detect([GOODCUTOFF]). IMO, this is fair play since the PC can't hide either while any enemies are around (whether invisible or not).

BTW, I've noticed a curious engine bug regarding the effective visual range. If a character gets blinded (i.e. via Blindness or Glitterdust spell) his effective visual range is significantly reduced and in that case !Detect([GOODCUTOFF]) will return true even if the specified creature *is* within 30 feet (standard visual range) unless, of course, the target is standing right next to him. The strange thing is, this will also allow a blinded character to hide unhindered, apparently in the spirit of "if I close my eyes maybe they won't see me". :) Although the same is true for a blinded PC thief (tested and confirmed) I've changed this for RR v3.82 so that enemy thieves will no longer attempt to hide while they are blinded.

Archived