Aerie Romance

Caedwyr

So, Aerie is harping on about her lost wings, and I totally sympathize with her. I mean, I'm not one to tell someone "So what that you're a quadriplegic, suck it up." that I've seen others comment on her romance, but one dialog really left me wanting to give a response that wasn't there.

"How about you go out and get some more experience as a cleric, become stronger in your faith, or even lets just head over to the local temple district and purchase ourselves a nice little casting of a certain spell:

Regeneration (Necromancy)

Level: 7

Sphere: Healing

Range: Touch

Duration: 1 round/ 2 levels

Casting Time: 7

Area of Effect: Target Creature

Saving Throw: None

This powerful spell enables the priest to imbue 1 creature with the ability to regenerate. This regeneration will heal any wounds and even regenerate lost limbs. The creature affected will regain 3 hit points per second. The effect lasts for 1 round per every 2 levels of the caster or until dispelled. For example, a 14th level priest would regenerate 18 hit points per round for 7 rounds."

There, wing problem solved with an in-game spell. You've got your wings back. Grats.

There, that's off my chest. Maybe one day someone will rewrite Aerie's romance to account for the spell and let you regenerate her wings. It'd probably be a fair bit of work, but might be nice.

There is a saying about plot design in space operas.

Whatever faster-than-light transit system Our Heroes may possess in their Speedy Starship Of Space, there are really only two speeds:

* Fast Enough To Get There In Time

* Not Fast Enough To Get There In Time

By the same token, any fantasy story which involves both supernatural healing and grievous injury implicitly possesses

* Stuff Which Supernatural Healing Can Fix

* Stuff Which Supernatural Healing Cannot Fix

Rules shouldn't get in the way of plot.

Next, you'll be agonizing over all of those people running around Amn with the ability to cast Dimension Door.

(For what it's worth, I have written a "restore Aerie's wings" interlude for an ascending PC. Honestly, I don't believe in it very strongly, but I was talked into it and was happy enough with the net result, if not the narrative copout.)

Yeah, I guess its just more hoping they'd remove the line about regenerating lost limbs. Pretty much every mechanics vs story discussion I've seen has a film of a plausible reason as to why it cannot be used to do X. Limited wish not mentioning the geas, the in-game ressurection spells descriptions not mentioning how long and how little of the body is needed (Kalid).

Oh, I do realize the Fast Enough to get there in Time and Not Fast Enough to get there in Time in plot design. I just like to have a little more veneer and internal consistency for the systems. Using a sci-fi or fantasy example, a world might have a magical system, but to handle it properly it needs to follow rules in order to not just be a Deus Ex Machina device that solves every single problem. Having the magic/technology system not be internally consistent just causes problems and makes the reader want to forget it because the author can't follow his own framing structure.

I think the best effort the writers did towards adressing this issue is what follows:

There is no way [to get my wings back], <CHARNAME>! Do you not think Quayle would have found a way if one existed?! He tried and tried and tried!

But my muscles will no longer support wings! They have grown too weak and I am forever banished to walk on the ground!!

Perhaps I could agree that's not enough to justify the issue, but it's there.

Plus, it's not like BGII is otherwise the epitome of gaming correctness (ie. Bondari).

Gaider's take on it at the Attic:

http://www.gamejag.net/index.php?name=PNph...pic&t=65058

(For what it's worth, I have written a "restore Aerie's wings" interlude for an ascending PC. Honestly, I don't believe in it very strongly, but I was talked into it and was happy enough with the net result, if not the narrative copout.)

EDIT: I remembered! The Flirt Pack thingy.

So, Aerie is harping on about her lost wings, and I totally sympathize with her. I mean, I'm not one to tell someone "So what that you're a quadriplegic, suck it up." that I've seen others comment on her romance, but one dialog really left me wanting to give a response that wasn't there.

Perhaps something for the NPC IEP to consider?

That is indeed one of the future plans for the IEP, once the friendships, interjections etc are (finally) completed. Giving the romances a bit of an overhaul. :p Of course, if anyone is interested in dedicating the time to it soon, we're more than happy to help as much as we can and offer feedback. But at the moment, besides the fact that most of us are busy with other projects, we are focusing on the friendship content since that is in the highest demand.

We'll be seeing some other IEP material soon, however, I believe... :p

I never played Aerie Romance to the very end with the Flirt Pack installed, either - I do not roleplay male protagonists very well. But it has an interlude at the end of ToB where the player offers her to restore her wings, should he become a god. There are several outcomes, and two new epilogues.

Archived