Disable Startup Movies

Miloch

Heh. What cracks me up is seeing supposedly established modders recommend moving or deleting files out of an installation without WeiDU, when WeiDU can do it quite easily. What next? Should we recommend installing only mods packaged as .iap and .tbg files?

Mind you, I don't think this stands well on its own as a mini-mod - there's not much to it. But if it's just another tweak you have to press Y or N to, no big deal.

For something so on the edge like this, it's almost easier to just do it manually than to try and cook up WeiDU crapcode that works for everybody.

Considering it's a simple "mv what where; touch MovieCD1.bif" on Mac OS X, it's hard to be enthused, sorry.

Actually, I don't disable the movies. Don't bother me at all and easy enough to skip normally.

I was just saying since it could be done X, I wasn't really concerned with attempts to do it Y.

And the joke was my first "NO POINT" reply, so... pffffffttttt :p

Not sure what your "joke" was (nor do I care much), but none of your replies in this topic have had much of a point, all things considered. I'm thinking this is the "game of 20 questions" Cam was talking about. Only I stopped asking questions a while ago :p.

Hi,

I must say I am very surprised this small and insignificant component caused so big emotions. Out of the love for historical accuracy let me comment on few details:

I didn't say it was new ground and wasn't taking credit for it - this component has been around for years: the Mix-Mod is in v5 and I think CamDawg and some other folks even helped code it (says so in the readme anyway).

In fact this particular component and especially the sloppy way it has been written in (no testing on Mac etc) are solely my fault. The persons mentioned who helped this way or that (allow me once again to thank Simding0 here for a really useful piece of code) have something to do with other components, mostly the one that allows to raise HP/saves/Thac0 of enemy creatures by a chosen percentage/amount.

Also, I think Mix-Mod got rid of only 2 of 3 startup movies in BG2 - this tweak should skip all of them.

Yes, the idea was to skip only company logos not the intro movie.

Is downloading, correctly unpacking, and installing the mod significantly easier than just removing the BIFs?

Indeed no, but it was just one and never the most important one of the components, so the idea was that it's easier to do it via mod when you're installing it anyway. Should it be a separate install, it does not make much sense, I agree. Though probably there are some who are afraid of manual modifying their installs.

PS. For the future - should anyone want for some reason reuse/update/claim as his(her) own any part of the mentioned mod, all such persons are hereby granted an everlasting permission.

Since this probably won't make it in Tweaks, I will be revising a future version of Mix-Mod as discussed with Borsook. I've already done a spin on the Ammo Stacking component in it (does something a bit less drastic than Tweaks' Unlimited Stacking). I have no ETA on this due to other mods in progress, but it probably won't be hard to do at least a simple update.

Since this probably won't make it in Tweaks, I will be revising a future version of Mix-Mod as discussed with Borsook. I've already done a spin on the Ammo Stacking component in it (does something a bit less drastic than Tweaks' Unlimited Stacking). I have no ETA on this due to other mods in progress, but it probably won't be hard to do at least a simple update.

Actually I'd be rather keen to add this, but it'd probably be available a lot faster if you did it independently or as part of Mix Mod. My to-do list is (always) a bit full and with the v6 bugfix release out, Tweaks has sunk down the list (barring some major bug that causes your comp to catch fire).

Added following to line 3174 of MixMod.tp2:

///// Turn off Startup Movies for BGTuTu \\\\\

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~Data/movies/movies.bif~

THEN BEGIN

PRINT ~Detected BGTuTu~

COPY ~MixMod/Movies/BG2~ ~data/movies/~

END ELSE BEGIN

Then added following to line 3212 of MixMod.tp2;

END

Works for me, but maybe not for everyone.

Archived