Maximum HP in BG2 Tweakpack?

Qwinn

Hello all :p Once again, thanks tons for all your great (and free!) contributions to the game. I see you're all still at it since the last time I was around here back in early 2005! Awesome :p It's a big part of the reason why I keep coming back to this game.

Okay. I just set up a fresh game with lots and lots of mods. I'll be happy to list those mods if it's relevant to my problem, but somehow I'm suspecting it's not, and what I'm seeing here might be "as designed". Please do let me know if it isn't, and a mod list is needed.

I installed the maximum HP tweak not just for my own character, but for all creatures as well, both joinable and non-joinable NPC's. This seemed like a fair tradeoff to me, if I was going to go with maximum HP, having the mobs do so as well should keep the challenge in the game.

But after importing my 8th level fighter from BG1 (8th level, 19 con, 120 hp), I'm finding he only has 81 hp. That's a lot lot LOT less than the maximum. Is this on purpose - do maximum hp rolls occur only after import? If that's the case, that makes my assigning maximum hp to everyone else kinda problematic, that's not keeping the same challenge, that's making the mobs a LOT tougher while leaving me effectively a severe cripple compared to every single NPC in the game.

Imoen's showing up with 57 hp, with a 16 con. If I remember my dualling rules right, I -think- her maximum should be 62 (56 from 7 thief levels + 6 for 8th level mage). It seems to me she came out a lot closer to the maximum, but still not quite.

If this is all "by design", I'm wondering A) what's the reasoning?, B) is there a different tweak out there that will at least prevent my HP from getting nerfed, and hopefully have joinable npc's join at maximum HP as well?

If not, I'll just go back in and uninstall the maximum hp mod for everybody.

If it's not by design, let me know, and I'll post my mod list with install order.

Thanks for replies!

Qwinn

I believe lowering the game's difficulty setting before importing will give everyone max rolls. Or at least I thought I saw that mentioned somewhere...

A good thought, and I feel silly for not thinking of it, but it didn't help. I just tried doing the import with both Normal and Easy settings, and I still got the same HP for myself and Imoen (81 and 57).

Any other ideas out there?

Qwinn

You can just calculate the HPs your character should have and edit the values using Shadowkeeper or other editors.

I play at Core level but I do want max HPs for both my party and all creatures/NPCs in the game.

Since I have one barbarian, the BG2 Tweak component won't work for me thus I just change the Difficulty bar to normal just for the time I do the level up.

You can do shadowkeeper on your joinable NPC's? Wasn't sure on that.

Still... urf. That's going to be rather tedious and klunky, having to hop out to SK every time I pick up a new NPC.

I'm just rather surprised that in all the years of modding, with all the mods out there that radically change all the various stats of the joinable NPC's, that this hasn't been taken care of long ago or that it isn't in fact a part of the maximum HP tweak already.

Makes me think there's another answer out there. Maybe?

Thanks for the replies so far, here's hoping there's a more seamless solution somewhere.

Qwinn

Hey Qwinn, long time no see. :p

The Max HP creatures component does not, unfortunately, work on the PC (or multiplayer-created characters). I can add a readme note for this. The HP funk for imported characters has been reported a couple of times for Baldurdash and Fixpack, but it's hardcoded and I've not seen any way to make it funk-less.

Hey Qwinn, long time no see. :cool:

The Max HP creatures component does not, unfortunately, work on the PC (or multiplayer-created characters). I can add a readme note for this. The HP funk for imported characters has been reported a couple of times for Baldurdash and Fixpack, but it's hardcoded and I've not seen any way to make it funk-less.

Hiya Cam :borg: Wondered if anyone would remember me, heh, it's been since Jan. 2005 since I trolled these boards, I think. Glad most of the old faces still seem to be around :p

Regarding your response: Ah okay, fair enough. I suppose I should've picked up Minsc and Jaheira too to see what their HP was. Theirs do seem to be maxed out (Minsc's definitely is, anyway, and Jaheira's looks suitably high). I guess my calculation for Imoen's hp must be off somehow, and 57 really is her max. That's what was throwing me and making me think the HP nerf was being applied to all joinable NPC's as well.

Anyways, I don't mind doing the shadowkeeper thing once at the beginning, I just hated the thought of having to do it for every joinable npc. So I'll just fix up my own toon's HP and go from there. Thanks for the help! And good seeing you all again, I'm sure I'll keep dropping by as I run through this whole thing again :p

Oh, and I did install the G3 Fix Pack with the beta fixes, so if those cause any problems I should be able to let you know :D

Qwinn

Hey Cam,

Just found out something interesting that maybe can help with this issue. I got distracted for a few days and didn't really start my game yet - all I'd done is imported my BG1 character, saved the game, shadowkeeped it to fix the hit points, and saved that as a separate game.

When I came back to it and started my game today, I wanted to see the starting cutscenes so I started it as a new game and when asked which file to import, I imported my character from the BG2 save file that I had shadowkeeped. It correctly imported the correct number of hit points. Strange, eh?

Perhaps there's different routines for importing BG1 and BG2 save characters, and the second can be used as a model for fixing the first? Just an idea, thought I'd throw it out there :) Okay, now to really start my game. :D

Qwinn

Archived