What is your "COOL!" party size?

Domi

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IMHO six to me is the ideal size - I feel that any more would make the game too unwieldy. More like a pausable realtime strategy game , like the single player hero-led missions in Warcraft, than a role-playing game. I'm talking BG2 here, not NWN. Though I guess it's more of a matter of taste. Some people treat NPCs as a plague and want all the virtual glory to themselves :p

I can see why 6+ would be fun though. The battles would be epic, for one. And the banter they would have would drown you out :p . I think in that case, the Charisma the protagonist had would play a part - an average 9 CHR <CHARNAME> would be hard put to controlling all of these guys.

I voted 6+, though I really mean 5-6 party members with 1 or 2 slots for floating/temporary party members. For some games, such as Final Fantasy X, their party member system of 3 active party members, but having access to your entire team of 7 for most battles that can be switched in and out mid fight so long as at least one party member is still alive and the switch costing 1 turn's action worked well.

Its worthwhile to note that Final Fantasy X had an effective out of party size of 7, since the whole mob of you moved around as a group. In combat you were a little more restricted. In fact, having your entire party available for plot and dialogue out of combat is fairly common in most console jRPGs, they are just a bit more restricted in combat. I've seen several games where you have a party/group of 7-10 people even though you might only be limited to 6 or so selectable for combat, and only able to use 3 at a time in combat.

Well, 'solo' pretty much includes the game without NPCs, and 6+ - flexible upper limit. As for game mechaniques - you simply don't know. This is purely about what concept of a party size gets your immediate interest/love etc.

Archived