Anyone else annoyed by Mass Effect being Xbox only?

Lysan Lurraxol

Yeah, I think the big question is if it will come out before or after DA. So, for the guys who played it, did it inherit JE's humorous, self-ironic dialogue style, or is it on the serious side, like previous games?

A bit of everything I think. It does have some excellent voice acting, and I was glad to see Jennifer Hale still around. Graphically it is an incredible game, but I have to say I'm not sure it will make it to the PC. I have nothing to back that up, just a feeling.

While the NPC banters are on the light side what there are of them are really funny. I think they had a lot they were not able to put in the game. I was reading on the forum not long after it came out that they had to cut a lot of material (I think he said something like 40,000 lines/words?) to keep the game to one disc. A sad loss in my opinion but apparently its a NoNo to use the Xbox's resources to help drive a game so no dumping a second disc into the sysem.

It is the first one though. And really that's like only being a third of the way into a book. I am looking forward to the next one. I do forget to keep in mind that this was a brand new engine for them so I imagine the learning curve was pretty high and they still managed to pull off a decent game.

Lol oh yeah and they do have a Noober :) sort of

I was just curious if I was the only one to be incensed by Bioware's refusal to make a PC version of Mass Effect.

I only own a PC, and I refuse to shell out for a clunky, expensive console, of which most of the games are tedious and crap.

Considering, Bioware have been catering to the PC market mostly, this seems a bit of a betrayal to their audience, and some of the answers given by the Bioware team about the possibility of a port, are rather condescending and rude.

Oh, and don't get me stated on the Yet Another Quasi Lesbian (Tee hee) Romance , included. (So sick of Bioware trying to be edgy about sexuality, and failing miserably)

I'd like to point out that while I don't own an Xbox, I have played many of its games, only a few of which I thought to be tedious and crappy....so I hope you are speaking a personal opinion.

And yes, this is saddening that they would not port it to PC but then again, would it be worth it? Does anyone firmly believe that Bioware has got another blockbuster in the making here? I say it ended after BG2 ToB came out.

Hrmm... not to be picky, but do Knights of the Old Republic I, Neverwinter Nights, and case in point since it is a game first released for console and later for PC, Jade Empire ring any bells? I don't have exact sales figures in hand, but I'm betting each of those sold well enough, probably more than BG2:ToB.

And I reckon (pure speculation, mind you) they'll release Mass Effect for the PC later on. They'd be insane not to, really.

I'd like to point out that while I don't own an Xbox, I have played many of its games, only a few of which I thought to be tedious and crappy....so I hope you are speaking a personal opinion.

And yes, this is saddening that they would not port it to PC but then again, would it be worth it? Does anyone firmly believe that Bioware has got another blockbuster in the making here? I say it ended after BG2 ToB came out.

I don't have an xbox too. And I have played not even one of its game, but, here in italy, the average xbox game cost from 10 to 20 € more than the average pc game.

That difference makes the game crappy for me, even if I like its pc version (if there's a pc version).

My brother just bought an Xbox, so there's some chance I'll be able to pry it out of his hands and try Mass Effect & JE at some point.

The only problem is, I find I am *really* annoyed by the high-pitched fan the Xbox has. Honestly, it's bad enough I don't know if I'll be able to stay in the same room with it long enough to play.

Anyone else notice this?

Meh, my experiences of Xbox games have not been good., games like the regrettable Halo crap, Fable, crud like Oblivion (which I hate with a burning fiery passion), and Gears of War, all of which i found overhyped, lacking in plot, character and charm, with pretty graphics and sod all else. So, I am biased against Xbox games, although I'd be interested in any games you enjoyed, I'm always happy to try new things. :)

ETA: Wonderful. i fail at quoting. Again :):)

ETA2: This time it's personal Thanks Domi ;)

The only problem is, I find I am *really* annoyed by the high-pitched fan the Xbox has. Honestly, it's bad enough I don't know if I'll be able to stay in the same room with it long enough to play.

Anyone else notice this?

I can safely say that what you're describing isn't normal. I'd have that checked out if it's that loud. I actually have not one, but two fans for my Xbox 360, and it runs nice and smoothly. Not loud or high-pitched at all.

I have to say, Mass Effect is definitely BioWare goodness. Saren is by far BioWare's most interesting villain yet (although I never did care for Irenicus, and by the time ToB rolled around Sarevok in BG1 had been forgotten). My only complaint is that he doesn't seem like much of a villain, but instead just kind of a jerk who causes alot of problems. He's a very interesting jerk, though!

As a fan of shooters and RPGs, I really enjoyed the gameplay. The AI was a little goofy on ocassion, but nothing game breaking by any means; I never once said "I simply can't do this because the AI is so unsupportive!". The story gets pretty good right off the bat with no "first chapter fake plot" crap. My only complaint here is that after you finish the four or five talks with each NPC (aside from the one you make sexy time with), they just kind of... stop giving their input. The game makes up for it with the fact that your entire party is badass; there's no more Carth (although for the record, I liked Carth). And you get to make some pretty amazing and refreshing decisions about your party on a certain planet later in the game. Also, the last storyline mission is one of the greatest moments in gaming history; no exaggeration at all here. I've never really felt as though I were saving the galaxy until that point; I cheered IRL.

I could write a more detailed review, but I'm late for class, so...

The AI was a little goofy on ocassion

You mean like always shooting your team in the backs in close quarters? I'm just glad Bioware doesn't allow you to do damage to your teammates, or mine would always be dead. I swear they did that on purpose, making them always run in front of you.

Taken from Actual Events ( no, really)

You: rattattatatat...bang boom crash... "Everybody take cover! Wait, noooo what are you doing?:)"

Teammate 1: Uhhgggg! "Friendly fire! Friendly fire!"...."@#%$, I dropped my boomstick!"

Teammate 2: "Captain! man down, man down! Oh...sorry sarg. Woman down! Woman down!......Uggghhhh. Friendly fire! Friendly fire!"

You: "You see this gun?!!!!! (rattle it in their faces) Rule #1: Never run in front of it when I'm trying to HIT SOMETHING! Rule #2: Stop your whining its only a flesh wound."

Enter [any of the alien races]

Token alien race: "You humans are so emotionaly vibrant, it must be because you are such a short lived species. You must learn to let your inner child be at peace with itself and turn the anger and angst toward more meaningful.....(blah blah blah)

You: Rattattatatat..."Hah, not so long lived now are yeh? You two! Get up, we still have an entire galaxy to sort out for these long-winded putzes."

In ten minutes goofy AI resets itself and scene plays over.

I liked Mass Effect but I am still not a fan of shooters. I mean the least they could have done was give me a frickin Ray Gun. *walks off mumbling* I mean zooming around the galaxy in cool ships, alien technology, zippy mind powers, and they're still making us use BULLETS. I mean why not use sticks and stones. Boomerangs are probably still in style.

Brought to you by: Someone who had obviously played the game way to many time through.

Edit: In all fairness, it must be said however, that the bullets are encased in a 'magazine infinitum' thereby putting lie to the arguement that they are outdated. The author of this rant has come across classified research suggesting the bullets are being 'teleported' in using technology reverse engineered from old Star Trek reruns.

I played ME for a 6-day stint, and it was pretty good. It didn't really feel like an RPG, though. I keep calling it action-adventure in my head.

I thought it was really hard, even on Casual, but I blame that on my own ineptitude. The side quest missions use almost all the same templates and offer little aesthetic difference, although the planet surfaces are so. gorgeous.

I'm not a fan of the one male/one female/one female bisexual trend either, but I liked all of the candidates. Ashley felt believable, Liara was (probably unintentionally) humorous, and I had a huge soft spot for Kaiden. I say they should've had Garrus as option 4, but then they probably would've ruined him... :)

The storyline missions were deep and the world-specific missions were great. I'm trying to skirt around spoilers here, but

[spoilerS]

Feros was a NIGHTMARE. I'm not planning to replay just because of that stupid place. The boss was a chore to beat because of the lack of cover and scores of veggie-zombies and Asari Commandos. Who in their right mind thought sending two OHKO machines at me was a good idea?!

Liara, after two conversations, brings up that she wants to sleep with you. Huh wha.

[/spoilerS]

And... robo-zombies???

Archived