Anyone else annoyed by Mass Effect being Xbox only?

Lysan Lurraxol

Yesterday I was playing with the thought of buying myself an Xbox as I found a very good bargain, and since there's some good games, but especially because of Mass Effect.

However, one look at the price of the games for he Xbox dissuaded me: 60 EURO?! What the heck? Do I look like Kroesus? :O

So, it's back to waiting for a conversion to PC for me. :)

I'm not a fan of the one male/one female/one female bisexual trend either, but I liked all of the candidates. Ashley felt believable, Liara was (probably unintentionally) humorous, and I had a huge soft spot for Kaiden. I say they should've had Garrus as option 4, but then they probably would've ruined him... :(

I too think they should have added Garrus as a romance. There were several others in the Bioware forums supporting that, too! I don't know what it is, but there's just about him that is very enticing.

Oh, and because it fits: I'd so totally choose the third option if it were possible.

- :D:):):):):):)

It is terribly disappointing that EA really is a juggernaut, and can pretty much buy whatever they want; Microsoft was pretty adamant about keeping it Xbox exclusive, but I guess that doesn't mean much when EA is brought into the picture.

It is also terribly disappointing that this is no doubt a sign of things to come; EA loves multiplatform games, which would mean that most BioWare products will be made with every console in mind. It is my experience that games are generally higher in quality if they're tailor made with one console / computer in mind.

I apologize for raining on your parade and all, but I've already played it, as I own an Xbox. All this means to me is that future BioWare products are threatened by EA's lack of concern for quality.

It is terribly disappointing that EA really is a juggernaut, and can pretty much buy whatever they want; Microsoft was pretty adamant about keeping it Xbox exclusive, but I guess that doesn't mean much when EA is brought into the picture.

The only reason Microsoft announced and wanted it to stay XBOX-exclusive is to promote their console, and has nothing to do with game quality whatsoever.

It is also terribly disappointing that this is no doubt a sign of things to come; EA loves multiplatform games, which would mean that most BioWare products will be made with every console in mind. It is my experience that games are generally higher in quality if they're tailor made with one console / computer in mind.

I apologize for raining on your parade and all, but I've already played it, as I own an Xbox. All this means to me is that future BioWare products are threatened by EA's lack of concern for quality.

I call bull. The console market as a target is simply too juicy - larger customer base, less piracy, etc. - to give up these days to make PC-exclusive games, excepting stuff like digital releases. The largest productions (the ones that cost the most money) will all migrate to hybrid ones in the upcoming future, simply to guarantee maximum profit - the gaming industry is big business, after all.

Your alternative would leave PC gamers with small production, online release only titles and indie games. Neither of which are bad, but more options means more options, after all. And just like I like watching the occasional blockbuster movie, so would I like to be able to play similar games. Not all that important for you if you own a game console, but not all of us are willing to buy one.

What's more, with consoles moving closer to PC's in general memory capacity and raw processing power, the current trend of 'typical console qualities' - such as save points, smaller in-game areas to save on memory usage, etc. - will start to fade.

Also, don't forget that Microsoft is pushing the "Games for Live" envelope along with their XBox. It's very unlikely that they wouldn't have migrated Mass Effect to the pc eventually, considering its succes on the XBox 360.

As for good multi-platform games, look at Bioware's own track record. Kotor 1 and Jade Empire both received very positive reviews and were very succesful in both markets.

PC and XBox are very similar, or so my computer savvy husband says, so ports are easy. Don't see how it affects quality. Both KOTOR and JE were great games. If ME sucks, it sucks independently of the platforms and ports. I'll have to wait till May to see if it's NWN1 or JE :)

I was moreso referring to ports between the three main consoles; Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii. I suppose I should have either phrased my concerns better or taken them to a more console-centric forum.

When it comes to consoles, though, EA is pretty well known for releasing games on every console with generally low quality; I can't help but notice the connection between EA's strategy of releasing their products on all three consoles and the content of said products. When future "EA BioWare" games are released for the PC, Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii all at once, I don't see why it should be any different.

Again, I apologize taking the console talk to these forums. I just feel that the console side of the gaming world has a better impression of the things to come now that EA has purchased BioWare.

It's probably less console porting than EA itself that's the problem (though I can see console porting would have it's own problems). EA is the Lucifer of game publishing companies. Hopefully Bioware remains strong enough in itself to be able to stand its ground against the "Get it out the door, who cares about quality" mentality that seems to reign in EA's executive offices.

Archived