Anyone else annoyed by Mass Effect being Xbox only?

Lysan Lurraxol

Heh, apparently there is a new problem with MEPC - they decided to introduce SecuRom or whatever the hells they call it that only allows the game installation on 3 different computers. Well, so much for buying a used copy. :p I guess, I will just wait untill the full trilogy is out and they package it in the Bargain... er... Diamond or whatever edition.

Heh, apparently there is a new problem with MEPC - they decided to introduce SecuRom or whatever the hells they call it that only allows the game installation on 3 different computers. Well, so much for buying a used copy. :) I guess, I will just wait untill the full trilogy is out and they package it in the Bargain... er... Diamond or whatever edition.

Even for all my legally-purchased games, I make it a point to install a no-cd/no-dvd patch, which in effect removes SecuRom. I know that technically it is likely a violation of the EULA, but I've never once heard of a US site being threatened or taken down for hosting no-cd patches. As far as I'm concerned, I'm just enabling myself to properly play the software I purchased.

Some might see that is some sort of advocation for piracy or illegal behavior, yet from what I've seen, some IE modding projects involve no-cd patches for BGII.

A few snippets from the updated MEPC FAQ thread:

Q: What happens if I install and activate MEPC with an internet connection, but then do not have an internet connection after 10 days? Can I still play MEPC?

A: No. After 10 days the system needs to re-authenticate via the internet. If you do not have an internet connection you will not be able to play until you are reconnected to the internet and able to re-authenticate.

Q: How many installations will SecuROM allow from my copy of MEPC?

A: Since SecuROM has nothing to do with the installer, you can install and uninstall on the same machine over and over again without any problems. SecuROM also allows you to activate the game on 3 different machines.

Q: Q: What happens if I exceed 3 activations?

A: Your first 3 activations will still work, but any subsequent activation will not work.

It makes me glad that I quit throwing my money away at my PC and quit playing mainstream games. I could play new games on my mother's comp, but almost every game in stores have that internet activation crap and other DRMs and I don't want that crap.

I prefer to buy myself a good book or music TV or spent my money on miniature wargames.

I installed Fallout two years ago and I'm still using the same install without CD after two reinstalls of my Windows 98. That's how I want the games that I buy to be - quick and easy to install and durable.

I thought about buying Win XP, but that windows genuine crap and their moronic installation procedures put me off. I guess my next comp will run on Linux/Win98SE...

Not that this will dissuade you, Despair, but that procedure has been changed: you only need to activate the game once (the first time you boot it), after which an internet connection won't be needed anymore.

This doesn't make the registration and 3-machine limit any less Orwellian, but... yeah. May I note it is a very good game?

This doesn't make the registration and 3-machine limit any less Orwellian, but... yeah. May I note it is a very good game?

I don't want to pay 2.5 x monthly wage for playing some games anyway. The notion of upgrading my computer lost a lot of attractiveness when I discovered when I have to pay for upgrades myself.

Better than Fallout or Planescape: Torment?

Linux (KDE desktop) for the win. Trust me, you won't regret it.

I tried Linux at school. It was pretty nice. The only thing that keeps me on Win98 are computer games.

I'm not sure many games on the planet are better than Fallout or Torment. Ultima VII deserves to be in that conversation, and can be played on modern computers via Exult. http://exult.sf.net

I dual-boot on my main rig. I can run both Windows (for games) and Linux (for everything else). It is pretty nice knowing I don't have to worry about virii, spyware, etc. Not to mention I just really love the interface in KDE. I run compiz fusion, which gives me neat 3D effects on my desktop that put Vista to shame, and it doesn't take a mega-computer like Vista.

http://www.compiz-fusion.org/

Heh, I haven't played Fallout and Ultima, but there are at least 7 games that I played that are eons better than Torment: BG1, BG2, IWD1, IWD2, KOTOR, NWN2 and JE. At least I can play all of those, while Torment is good for one thing only - starting it up, seeing how bad it is and quitting the game. Then stuffing the disks as far away as possible and thanking gods that you didn't pay for that piece of over-hyped junk. Pfft. Sorry about hurting everyone's feelings. I hate Torment with a vengeance and I am so tired of it being hailed as some sort of an RPG miracle when it doesn't even allow you the most basic of choices and its dialogues are cheesy to the point of hurtful.

Eh... not to drag this further off-topic, but fair is fair: Torment has some of the best storytelling and writing seen in any RPG to date (not sure about Mass Effect yet :cool:), and a bunch of unique characters to boot. It offers a lot of roleplaying and choice... for those that can settle for a fixed male character, and can stand the graphics. Calling it any less seems unfair.

Has anyone else noticed that barely a week has passed since the technical support forum for Mass Effect PC has opened, and yet it has 3038 posts? If yes, is such a huge number of problems only a week after the opening normal? I wanted to buy this game, but looking at the support forums makes me wary, to say the least. If for no other reason, then because Jade Empire, which, I understand, was also initially released on console only, is an older game that has far less posts in the tech support forum (2966).

Archived