Dual-Classing

WizWom

This might be intentional (at least, if I were coding the mod I would probably wipe that flag to avoid weirdness). Do you know which NPCs specifically have this set?

Imoen, Was a Thief first, dual to mage.

Nalia, same

Anomen, Was a Fighter first, dual to cleric.

Considering dual-class choices are made beyond level 1 (as opposed to multi-class choices), this change seems to be intentional. You can now choose whether to dual Imoen to a Mage or not. Hell, you could turn her into a sorceress or even a barbarian, should you so wish.

Of course... Anomen loses his cleric-fighter dual without a stat boost, since his wisdom isn't high enough to dual to cleric.

Considering dual-class choices are made beyond level 1 (as opposed to multi-class choices), this change seems to be intentional. You can now choose whether to dual Imoen to a Mage or not. Hell, you could turn her into a sorceress or even a barbarian, should you so wish.

Of course... Anomen loses his cleric-fighter dual without a stat boost, since his wisdom isn't high enough to dual to cleric.

The trouble is, you can't choose to recreate any of them, because you're going to get boinked right up to the PC's Exp, and then have to dual-class, rather than dual-classing at the point you determine is best.

It might be nice to have an option to cap the exp somehow, dual-class, and then get the rest of the experience applied. Options I'm thinking of :

10,001 Exp - For Lvl 5 Thief (Nalia) [should max 2 skills]

40,001 Exp - For Lvl 7 Thief (Imoen) [could max 3 skills]

64,001 Exp - For Lvl 7 Fighter [first extra 1/2 attack] (Anomen)

220,001 Exp - for Lvl 10 thief

250,001 Exp - For lvl 9 fighter [all fighter hit dice]

1,250,001 Exp - For lvl 13 fighter [second extra 1/2 attack]

Another workaround might be to use lvl1npc to set them to the class in which you want them to start, then in game once they join your party, use the console to set their XP to the levels you reference, level them up as you want and then dual class them to whichever class you wanted and repeat. Also, FWIW, you could use the console to set their XP to say zero and then raise back to desired level if the npc joins at the game's default XP level. My idea does require that their stats allow the NPC to be dualled to the class you want. Otherwise, I guess you'd need ShadowKeeper.

Just my 2 cents :)

John

P.S.: the console command is, IIRC, CLUAConsole:SetCurrentXP(##)

I haven't tried the mod yet, but I was under the impression that you could choose at what level you wanted to dual an NPC to a different class. Is this not the case?

If, for example, I wanted Imoen to start BG2 as a level 6 thief/level whatever mage, are you saying I can't currently do this without using the console or Shadow Keeper?

Edit: What currently happens when you meet Spellhold Imoen? Does she keep the skills/stats you assigned her at the start of the game, or does she start at level 1 again?

When you install the mod, you're choosing classes, proficiencies, etc. for the NPCs at level 1. The NPCs join your party at level 1 (hence the name of the mod). Once they do so, they get a roughly equivalent amount of XP as the PC, and you can level them up and choose additional proficiencies etc. accordingly.

For the few dual classable NPCs this affects, I suspect Nythrun can come up with a workaround with her mad phat WeiFU skills. WizWom's suggestion probably makes sense without spamming the user with too many (more) options.

Nice job on the ninja edit, but I won't be adding dual class flags to non-dual classes, no.

The biggest problem with supporting dual classes in addition to multiclasses is that you can meet Imoen when she doesn't have enough experience for level two, or when she's at two and a half million, and there are a lot of options available to the latter that aren't available to the former, so there's no one consistent way I can offer these choices (in addition to the general silliness of a wandering dual level).

If anyone has suggestions, I'm listening - it won't however be in V1, which is already behind schedule and won't languish for the significant blob of new code that would have to be debugged.

I won't be adding dual class flags to non-dual classes, no.
I dunno if that's what's being requested here, but rather:
It might be nice to have an option to cap the exp somehow, dual-class, and then get the rest of the experience applied.
And I dunno if that's possible, but I was thinking maybe it could be added to fjxpmooc.baf and/or the area scripts where you first meet the (few) NPCs affected by this. I'm just hypothesizing, since that script already looks like Elder Futhark or the like to me.

And I'm wondering what this does in the tp2:

// Anomen has fudged experience for his dual-classing, we "fix" this

Okay, that's making more sense than how I was parsing it.

It'd have to be pretty gross (a separate XP adjuster for each component, separate huge scripts for each character) but it's certainly feasible.

Joinable NPCs in BG2: SoA come in several versions:

161,000 XP

400,000 XP

800,000 XP

1,200,000 XP

except for Anomen, whose two lowest level have more experience than they "ought" to, and whose higher level incarnations have more than they ought to. As it's no longer necessary for his experience totals to differ to make his dual-classing work out (he's not a dual class anymore) he's forced onto the train with everyone else.

heh, I just installed for BG2, not BG1 and then I had soloed through Tutu, so I had like 1.8 million Exp in Irenicus' Athkatla lair.

But I sorta missed Imoen having thief skills. Not that she needed them, but you know.

Archived