Detect() trigger misconceptions

aVENGER_(RR)

The weirdness bit was directed toward the behavior of the Range() trigger. I was under the impression that Range() always respected line of sight but apparently, that is only half-true.

Hmm, as it stands, direct object references (i.e. PlayerX) seem to cause non-standard behavior for several triggers. This probably needs further testing.

Range() does not require line of sight -- what you're running into is that this type of object cannot be valid unless it's visible and seen by the calling object (Range([2],30) won't work because there is no [2] unless a living EA PC actor is within visual range and is visible). This isn't a difference in the behavior, just in the fact that [2] is null when you're trying to use it (the engine cannot find any object matching that spec). Remember, every time the engine sees [2], it's picking a brand new object that best matches the spec (in this case, the closest visible PC), regardless of how many times you use it in the same block.

You can use a marked (LastSeenBy(), LastAttackerOf(), etc.) or static (Player1, Myself, etc.) object because these are almost always bound (if the creature has ever See()n anybody, for instance, LastSeenBy() is already a valid object and won't change until you See() again). The engine doesn't have to figure out if there's any object that matches, because it already knows who it is.

Archived