Testing mod installs nearly done, still having issues

ericp07

Hello, friends and neighbors :)

I have only two mods left to test in my BGII configuration, to get the game to work with all the mods I want to use as best it can. I've decided that I'm just going to get occasional CTDs, and I can live with that, as there appears to be no cure if I want to keep the mods I'm using. Or, perhaps someone else will stumble upon a miracle...

Currently, I'm trying to add BG2 Tweaks to my set-up. I installed some of the components, including "rest anywhere." Started a new game, with a new character, got the party to the room with the golem, where they gear up, clicked the Rest button, and got a CTD.

Restarted the game, loaded a previously saved game, got to the same point, clicked the Rest button, and again got a CTD.

Uninstalled the mod, loaded the same saved game, and this time I rested the party successfully. My early (premature, perhaps) conclusion is that the "rest anywhere" feature of BG2 Tweaks is causing the problem. I'm just guessing that because it has to do with resting. So, I'll install only that feature and test again, to see if my suspicion is warranted.

Hopefully, I'll be able to use at least some of the many wonderful features in this mod, and then I can finish up by installing and testing Refinements (from Spellhold Studios).

Back to testing...

- E

Really if you are using Rest just for HP recovery then you can go with Ctrl-R instead...it fully heals the character.

If you are using it with the aim of getting a post-rest banter then continue as you are.

The only reasons I ever rest the party are #1 to regain spells, and #2 to relieve fatigued characters. The testing continues for BG2 Tweaks. I worked on it just about all day long, yesterday, and am determined to finish it up today. Ways to occupy one's time when under the weather :help:

- E

Well, I thought things were going well...then I started a new game, started to create a new character, and got the CTD when I clicked on Fighter for character class. So, I scrapped the entire BGII - SoA directory and copied my "clean install + Fixpack" install, and am now installing mods again, as if for the first time.

I'm determined to overcome the two CTD cases of 1) crashing when selecting class (as reported earlier, no CTD when choosing mage, sorcerer, monk, or barbarian), and 2) crashing when clicking the Rest button (regardless of party location).

I'm paying close attention to mods that add or modify classes. I did install Divine Remix, and chose not to remove Bioware kits, so I'm hoping that won't be an issue.

As soon as I've gotten all NPCs installed, plus Crossmod Banter Pack, I'll begin a new (and hopefully final) round of testing.

Oy veh...

- Eric

I'm determined to overcome the two CTD cases of 1) crashing when selecting class (as reported earlier, no CTD when choosing mage, sorcerer, monk, or barbarian), and 2) crashing when clicking the Rest button (regardless of party location).
#1 is an ugly bug when setting up the kit selection screen. You won't ever solve it; it will come and go, and if you keep screwing around with it, it will eventually work.

#2 won't be caused by the "rest anywhere" component (you can normally rest in Irenicus' dungeon anyway; this component won't even touch this ARE). I'm not aware of any common bugs when resting, so it likely is a mod or mod combination that's screwing things up; if it's a true crash, the crash log may help to determine what the game is trying to do when it crashes.

#1 is an ugly bug when setting up the kit selection screen. You won't ever solve it; it will come and go, and if you keep screwing around with it, it will eventually work.

#2 won't be caused by the "rest anywhere" component (you can normally rest in Irenicus' dungeon anyway; this component won't even touch this ARE). I'm not aware of any common bugs when resting, so it likely is a mod or mod combination that's screwing things up; if it's a true crash, the crash log may help to determine what the game is trying to do when it crashes.

That's not good news about the class-related crash...but I understand that a maximum of nine kits will be displayed for a given class, so when it comes to installing additional kits, I'll make sure to stay within the limit. Is the limit the same on the Mac as on the PC? My memory tells me that the interfaces are identical.

Yes, I'm now confident that the CTD on rest isn't associated with "rest anywhere," as further testing confirmed that for me. The crash log does come up when this happens, and it lists the threads, showing the one that crashed. The information means nothing to me, though, as I lack the technical expertise necessary to decipher it.

Thanks,

Eric

That's not good news about the class-related crash...but I understand that a maximum of nine kits will be displayed for a given class, so when it comes to installing additional kits, I'll make sure to stay within the limit. Is the limit the same on the Mac as on the PC? My memory tells me that the interfaces are identical.
I don't know what the limit is, but it'll be the same.

Yes, I'm now confident that the CTD on rest isn't associated with "rest anywhere," as further testing confirmed that for me. The crash log does come up when this happens, and it lists the threads, showing the one that crashed. The information means nothing to me, though, as I lack the technical expertise necessary to decipher it.
There's probably not enough to really discover anything, but go ahead and post the trace for the crashing thread (hopefully Thread 7 or Thread 8; usually where the engine sits).
I don't know what the limit is, but it'll be the same.

There's probably not enough to really discover anything, but go ahead and post the trace for the crashing thread (hopefully Thread 7 or Thread 8; usually where the engine sits).

OK, the next time I get such a crash, I'll copy the contents and post them. When I've looked, I've noticed that the crashes usually occur at where you mentioned, as well as at least once at Thread 9. I look forward to learning more about what these things mean. A friend guessed that it has something to do with the fact that the game isn't optimized for OS X Tiger, and that makes sense to me, given how old the latest ToB patch is.

Thanks,

Eric

Archived