Peter Jackson to produce two Hobbit movies

aVENGER_(RR)

The Hobbit would make a great movie if done properly. Talking trolls, giant spiders, a werebear, drunk elves, a dragon and a massive battle to finish it off - what's not to like? Hopefully they can pull all that off without too much cheesy-looking CGI. And maybe they can do it without half-orcs that hatch out of pods and the obligatory but totally not plot-related hot elven chick, as tempting as that might be.

Though I don't understand this "Hobbit sequel" bit - or are they just splitting it into two movies? Probably for the best, given the length of the previous movies.

I've kind of wondered too, but came to the conclusion that they will split the book in half, because atually for such a small book it is very event-packed, and does have 15 main charcaters.... Boy, there will be a big demand for 'dwarven' actors out there soon.

Boy, there will be a big demand for 'dwarven' actors out there soon.
Nah, they'll just dwarf regular actors via CGI, like they did for John Rhys-Davies (who played both one of the shortest and one of the largest characters in LotR as Gimli and Treebeard - go figure). I always wondered why they didn't just get dwarf actors instead, especially for the hobbits.
No fantasy novel is complete without a hot elven chick...
Well, I guess The Hobbit is incomplete then. Maybe they'll smuggle a hottie into Thranduil's palace somewhere, which is plausible enough (hey, they can't all be blokes), but smuggling in Arwen to play Glorfindel's part in the LotR movies was a bit much.
but smuggling in Arwen to play Glorfindel's part in the LotR movies was a bit much.

Well, it reduced the number of characters in the movie, which helps for people who don't remember the book by heart. Besides, far worse had been done (E.G. Faramir trying to extort the Ring from Frodo, or the Army of Elves running to the rescue of Helm's Deep).

What about a dwarf woman? I mean, there's lots of dwarves in the story. Why not go for political correctness and angry fans, and turn one of them into a hawt chick?
If you follow Terry Pratchett's reasoning, some of them are chicks - we just don't know it.
or the Army of Elves running to the rescue of Helm's Deep

Well I'm not too sure as to the reasoning behind that either. Was it to help with audience perception of 'elves are good guys' or, 'elves kick ass and can ride skateboards just like all you trendy teenagers in the audience' (I am of course referring to that bit where Legolas just slides down the stairs on a shield)?

Maybe it was to make the battle a bit more realistic. I mean seriously, I know Tolkien was going for something epic but the number of men he had defending Helm's Deep against those tens of thousands of Saruman's lackeys was just ridiculous (I can't remember what the actual figures were but I remember thinking they were stupid).

I think the idea of Helm's Deep was supposed to be like the Battle of Thermopylae, where due to a superior defensive position and training, and determination allowed a very small army to take on one that was something like 100 times its size (old historians say a thousand times its size) and inflict ten times their own weight in casualties. Really good fortifications can let tiny forces hold back massive hordes.

What about a dwarf woman? I mean, there's lots of dwarves in the story. Why not go for political correctness and angry fans, and turn one of them into a hawt chick?
If you follow Terry Pratchett's reasoning, some of them are chicks - we just don't know it.

Gimli said much the same thing in the movie (though I don't think in the book, I can't remember). ;)

Archived