Romantic Encounters: accepting submissions

Kulyok

(if you're under 18, please, mind that this topic contains discussion of... well... sex! :D )

It depends, I believe. I recall I read some arousing, exciting and well-written erotic stories with an element of "sado-mazo"; it can be cool. RE itself contains Desharic encounter and Aimi encounter - some rough sex that feels more like rape than making love. Oh, and there's some in Anne encounter. And Renal, don't forget!

So, I don't mind the idea - many sane and responsible adults have wild fantasies, but I believe "how?" is just as important as "what?"

...Which is cool, but, like I said, you'll have to write much better than that.

Then again, you can always do a standalone release - G3, I believe, is quite liberal in this regard, if you look at the list of unreleased mods.

Renal does not include torture, and provides equality in actions and responses. It walks the line with violent intent, not violent action, and it does not at any time include rape (unless someone has rewritten it). If one extends one's imagination, that player can always fill in the blanks and add additional content in their head, at which point I personally recommend a discussion with a psychiatrist or social worker. Unlike Lord Mirrabo's Imoen Romance, I think freedom of expression in a computer game has some limits; I realize in the days of GTA, it is a losing argument to draw lines at these kinds of iamges (and I realize that erotic content is pushing the boundaries for FR/i.e. modding). But rape (even in fantasy) is not erotic - it is all about power. If you must include such, I would suggest getting rid of the sword-point imagery. The same encounter in Renal has his dagger point matching your dagger point, implying equality (and either "combatant" can simply walk away.

I thought there was an encounter that includes an attempted rape...? Something about a girl and an angry brother or something...I never play a male character, so I could be wrong.

Anyway, I suppose I'll go ahead and play the devil's advocate here and say a role reversal of such a scene could be appealing (a female "forcing" a male :D), so it wouldn't be right for me to find fault in the scene as described. I understand that many people are very sensitive about rape (often the word itself is enough to make people angry), and I am sympathetic to that - in real life. Games are not the same. The PC kills countless people in the game, but it's rare to hear someone complain about the violence. The PC can get drunk, but I don't see MADD having meetings about the diverse effects of alcohol consumption in video games. I think "rape" gets a knee-jerk reaction, and I hate it as much as most normal people, but there's a reason each encounter is optional.

That said, I'm more concerned about bad grammar and poor writing than any kind of content, no matter what the encounter.

I don't mind filthy content at all - bloodsucking, flagellation, voyeurism, incest, bondage, you name it - as long as it still qualifies as erotic, and that usually goes hand in hand with good writing. This "encounter" isn't erotic at all. Now, I'm no feminist, but cutting a woman's head off or slicing her in half because you're bored doesn't do it for me. Even if it's supposed to be an eeeeeeeeevil encounter, it's still too much.

It's more of comic value, yes. "Do you like me, lady? No? Too bad! (slurping sound)" - I think I saw it in Top 100 webcomics somewhere.

In the game, I'd prefer an Enemy() tag instead: instead of an automatic murder, the conversation ends and the target goes hostile - it happens in quite a few romance-related mods, these days.

Speaking of this stuff, has anybody read Dorotea's "Bitter Grey Ashes"?

http://www.onlinefiction.net/Ashes/BitterAshes.html

Mind chapter 40 - it stings.

Truthfully, I don't know. No, I didn't enjoy reading the scene, but who are we to determine what is poor writing and what isn't? I think that should be up to the player, not the co-writers. And if it is, we should at least establish some guidelines for new submissions.

@Aeryn: Yes, Anne's encounter included attempted rape, but that isn't what the encounter was about. It was about trying to give the player some idea of the emotional consequences of rape.

Kulyok, I have looked over your writing dialogue in d for real beginners. Thank you so much for coming up with that!! I had no idea how different it was from just writing. It really makes me appreciate all of you modders a lot more. Kudos to all of you :D I will not post any other samples until I have written it in the correct format.

Reading back over my own writing I have to say I agree that it is both too violent and not very well written. A clear case of being influenced by what one is reading. I got the idea for an encounter like this from Chris Bunch's The Last Legion. The encounter that gave me the idea starts at the bottom of page 251 and goes to page 254, if anyone reads that series. If someone is interested I can copy it onto here (copyright laws?...hmm) I think my mistake was in tryng to write an encounter for the oasis, which as originally written is one of the most one dimensional in the game. Perhaps something with the courtesan vampires...

Other than the daughter of Amkethran's (Sp?) mayor and the previously mentioned vampires, is there any event/individual that screams the need for an RE. I am looking at ways to make ToB more interesting, because at this point, until Fade ToB comes the game goes seriously downhill (in terms of comedic and roleplaying value) after you 'leave' Sulldanesellar (Sp?).

Im not anyone important but I do watch the topics in G3 forums (my preferred website,for All Bg related mod content)having stated that,I think freedom of expression is important even in fantasy based settings.I also play NwN and one of the modds done there had rape in it,I cringed during that part,it was also very graphic and detailed,I can`t remember the name of it or the Author but I will say that despite the rape scene in it I really like the modd and thought that it was and is one of the best out there for NwN,Being an Adult I like Adult content,I love RE, it adds so much more to the game that I keep coming back again and again.Mods and Modders have to be about the coolest people ever,If I had the patience or time I would mod games myself.Alas no brain for code.Anything IS possible in Fantasy IF done Tastefully.

My 2cents (not that it means much)

Respectfully to Modders everywhere

Thankyou

Guest Guest

I would like to see an encounter for clerics! There are a couple encounters for mages specifically already and clerics need love too!

Also, I always found priests incredibly sexy (repressed Catholic schoolboy) and yeah. Games are for fantasy fulfillment anyway, right?

As I recall, we have some cleric-y and paladin-y guys and gals: Laran, Isabelle, Bjornin, Weathermistress Ada, Ryan, er, Cyric... Priests *are* sexy, I agree - remember that priest guy in House M.D. a few episodes ago? As for young people, Anne, Lais and other guys and gals look young and feel young - though not *that* young, probably. That is, we have successfully escaped Saerileth's questionable laurels - for the time being.

Archived