"Unpickpocketable" item slots?

Miloch

I'll repost this from the BG1 Fixroom since few people read that:

In BG2FP, we went with moving the items to unpickpocketable item slots to close exploits instead of using the unstealable flag. The flag sticks with the item--meaning that the scalps, once obtained from the bandits, would remain forever unstealable. This may or may not be the case under the BG engine, but if it is I'd suggest moving the items rather than flagging them
Well, I didn't know that. Need some more documentation in the IESDP then.... What slots are not pickpocketable? I'd be glad to move them to an unused slot rather than flagging them. I'll just need to check and make sure that one of them is empty before moving them. The used slots could be different on a cre by cre basis....

IIRC

SLOT_ARMOR
SLOT_BELT
SLOT_BOOTS
SLOT_CLOAK
SLOT_GAUNTLETS
SLOT_HELMET
SLOT_SHIELD

From what I remember, the equipped weapon can't be stolen (unless it's a bow, in which case, the bow can, but the "wielded" arrow can't), but you're not always going to know what slot that is. I think magically-created weapons can actually be stolen (but for the fact that true created weapons will be wielded or unremovable), so it isn't necessarily an "off-limits" slot.

Note, however, that placing items in inappropriate slots can produce odd visual effects. For example, placing a helmet inside the CLOAK slot will make the helmet animation appear on the in-game avatar of the creature as if the helmet was worn on its head. Similarly, putting a weapon with a "Colorglow Pulse" effect inside a creature's ARMOR slot will cause the color-shifting to apply to the creature's currently wielded weapon. For example, if you place Carsomyr inside a creature's Armor slot and have it wield a normal dagger in the main hand, the dagger will shine with a golden glow.

Personally, I think that randomly assigning items into inappropriate slots is bad practice. I really don't see the problem with flagging them as unpickpocketable. It's not as if anyone would want to pickpocket the PC now is it? ;) The PickPockets() action is entirely too unreliable (i.e. the results are semi-random) to be properly used in scripts and that's likely why Bioware never did this in the unmodded game. They simply used TakePartyItem() or TakePartyGold() instead.

I really don't see the problem with flagging the scalps as "unstealable" either - the current BG1 Fixpack has this, and has had it since Idobek's 2004 version (derived from Dudleyfix/Baldurdash). Mods that add items to bandits might push the non-unstealable scalps back into inventory (or simply overwrite them).

But it's useful info to know which slots are "unpickpocketable" for other purposes and probably should go in the IESDP.

Based on poorly-recalled futtering with Cam's last foray into shapeshifting fixes, the magical weapon slot isn't stealable, it's that unselected items equipped there are sometimes auto-bumped into the first available inventory slot (maybe - there's a lot of weirdness associated with that slot).

It isn't an "Unpickpocketable" flag, it's an "unstealable" flag - meaning after you sell those reflagged bandit scalps to Cleatus the Nearsighted Merchant, you can't steal them, skip town, and go sell them again to Officer Vai. Not really Fixpack material.

It isn't an "Unpickpocketable" flag, it's an "unstealable" flag - meaning after you sell those reflagged bandit scalps to Cleatus the Nearsighted Merchant, you can't steal them, skip town, and go sell them again to Officer Vai. Not really Fixpack material.
What isn't Fixpack material, Cleatus the Nearsighted Merchant? Is that the Next Big Mod you've been working on?

If you're really concerned that players should have the option to double-fence bandit scalps, I suppose we could move them all to SLOT_BELT. I don't think any bandits have belts by default, and I'm not aware of any mods that specifically give any of them belts. I'm more concerned about what something like iiItem would do if, for example, it goes and adds belts to random humanoids.

You only have to worry about items with equipped effects or appearance tags; bandit scalps have neither and can be stuck anywhere (helmet slot will give them immunity to critical hits, though).

As Nythrun says, the flag persists forever. If the PC acquires the item, it can never be recovered (maybe a multiplayer game or if you kick the PC out but want to retrieve the item), and you can't later steal it from stores.

If it's shapeshifting fixes, then it probably was the equipped (actually magically-created) weapon slot -- I'm talking about miscellaneous junk that would get stuck there from CreateItem() (but not TakePartyItem() since it marks its booty as unstealable). I can't remember if I ever tested it or not (I may have noted it in the thread around here testing the fill order and behavior of the various *Item() actions).

I think the bump-to-inventory only happened on load, when the slot table gets rebuilt anyway. I'll double check on it though - creating too many items was one of the two crash sources in that bold but ill-advised venture.

Any mod that globally adds items to slots without regard for what's already there is breaking all kinds of stuff - I doubt igi's doing that.

Cleatus walks among you, yet you do not know him. Fear this.

The only problem with that is that the scalps have a price, so any merchant that accepts miscellaneous items and isn't also a fence (don't think there are any of those in standard BG1 actually) is going to say "I don't deal in fenced goods" or whatever, which is kind of stupid.

As Nythrun says, the flag persists forever. If the PC acquires the item, it can never be recovered (maybe a multiplayer game or if you kick the PC out but want to retrieve the item), and you can't later steal it from stores.

Nope, flagging an item as "Unstealable" on a creature does not prevent it from being sold and stolen back from merchants, it merely prevents the item from being pickpocketed from creatures. I've just tested this in-game, feel free to do the same.

Hey, don't quote me! *She's* the spreader of lies and candy!!!

Doesn't surprise me that it doesn't work from stores; everything else in that statement is true, however (the flag does persist, preventing pickpocketing the item from anyone else who happens to obtain it).

Sure, I'll take the fall for this.

It's been long enough since I've looked at .sto behavior that I'll take your word for it - at least for now ;)

(the flag does persist, preventing pickpocketing the item from anyone else who happens to obtain it).
And it taints stackables. If anyone happens to find any way to unset this flag, let us know - otherwise I will continue to hem and haw about making avoidable, irreversible global changes.
(the flag does persist, preventing pickpocketing the item from anyone else who happens to obtain it).
And it taints stackables.
I think these things are of minor importance, given:

a) Who's going to steal from the party, as aVENGER pointed out?

b) If all scalps get the same flag, they'll all stack the same

It sounds like we are talking about two different flags though - the "unstealable" flag set directly on the item (or more accurately, the "stolen" flag) and that set in the inventory of a creature or store.

Archived