"Unpickpocketable" item slots?

Miloch

Note that Unstealable != Stolen. They are two different things entirely.

AFAIK, you can't set Unstealable directly in the ITM, but you can set Stolen both in the CRE and in the ITM. IMO, Stolen is a mildly dangerous flag since it will prevent the item frmo being sold to regular merchants (non-fences). OTOH, I really don't see a problem with Unstealable, as mentioned above, it should be fairly harmless as it merely prevents items from being pickpocketed.

Just an addition to the previous tests - setting the Unstealable flag on an item inside a store does not prevent the party from stealing it. It merely prevents the item from being pickpocketed, as when the flag is set on the CRE. To test this, I've used NI to flag the scroll of Limited Wish (SCRLA4.ITM) in Lady Yuth's store (SCROLLS.STO) as Unstealable and started a new game with a Thief protaqonist who had 150 in Pickpocketing. I then CLUA-ed my character to AR0702, talked to Lady Yuth, started her store and successfully stole the Limited Wish scroll.

Following that I CLUA-ed in JAHEIR8.CRE, CTRL+Q-ed her into the party and then gave her the Limited Wish scroll which was then the only item present in her inventory. As expected, my Thief protagonist was unable to steal the scroll from her because "The target has no items." just as if I had added the scroll to Jaheira's CRE and set the Unstealable flag there.

No worries, I've tested everything for BG1 + TotSC as well and it works the same as in BG2. ;)

As for the nature of my BG1 tests, I've added a King's Tear flagged as Unstealable to OGRE01.CRE, spawned it via CLUA, killed it via CTRL+Y, looted the corpse and then successfully sold the gem to Winthrop. I was then able to steal it back with my Thief PC who had previously been leveled up to L10 for a higher Pickpocket score. Also, I had previously flagged the Splint Mail in Winthrop's store (INN2616.STO) as Unstealable and my Thief protagonist was able to steal that too without any problems. BTW, all of that took me a whopping 5 minutes to do, which is less than the time I spent writing these replies. ;)

It means that the unstealable bit has no effect in stores. It's always preserved (everywhere, if you transfer it to PCs or containers or stores), but it doesn't actually affect anything in shop mode. So the proper label really is "unpickpocketable."

Stores have their own "stealable" bit (bit 3 at 0x10) or you can also adjust this at 0x20 (steal failure %) but I'm sure you IESDP gurus already knew that. Unfortunately, you can't seem to set it on a per-item basis. It'd seem sensible to me that some shopkeeps would keep some items behind glass or nailed down or whatever, but not others.

Archived