Using Level One NPCs to make Nalia a decent level 4 thief

Bursk

I've been playing around with Nythrun's mod to see if I can finally make Nalia a decent thief, to the extent that she can be the only thief in the party. What I don't want to do is completely change an NPC, so I'm looking to keep Nalia's thief level at 4.

Using the Adventurer kit from Song and Silence* - http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/readme...nd_silence.html - Nalia can get pretty good Open Locks and Find Traps skills. By level 4 she can have (for example):

80 OL and 90 FT

or

70 OL and 100 FT

I'm wondering which of these two (or anything in-between) would be best. Maybe someone who's familiar with BG2 and ToB could tell me what distribution of skill points I should use. I suppose I could always use Knock for the tougher locks, if bashing isn't successful, so should I go for the 100 in Find Traps?

* Even though there are some issues currently with the mod - http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s...st&p=107715

And don't forget potions of master thievery and potions of perception. Also, IIRC, the potion of mind focusing (dex and int boost) will boost some of your thief skills.

John

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't played the game in a while, so can someone tell me how easy it is to get that Ring of Lock Picks? Are you able to get it before you pick a side in the guild war, or is you getting it dependent on you being allied with a particular side?

I haven't played the game in a while, so can someone tell me how easy it is to get that Ring of Lock Picks? Are you able to get it before you pick a side in the guild war, or is you getting it dependent on you being allied with a particular side?

You can't get the Ring of Lock Picks until you've chosen a side. If you side with Aran you merely need to confront a Shadow Thief traitor, but if you side with Bodhi you have to fight Dedral for it.

Alternatively, you could simply use the NPC Kitpack to give Nalia a slightly differend version of the Adventurer kit. Doing so will remove her backstab multiplier and give her a fixed 20% boost to her Open Locks and Find Traps skills. Rogue Rebalancing also introduces a few items which can further increase these skills and they can be purchased as early as Chapter 2.

Guest Blood Beast

From my experience, using "Knock" on a trap will give the caster the full brunt of the trap, and therefore, it is better to have 100% disarm traps,

My Nalia will be a Kensai though, because her stats are perfect for a master Flail swinger. I can get a much better mage out of Edwin.

Thanks again.

I tried using NPC Kitpack alongside Level One NPCs, but this doesn't work correctly. During Level One NPCs setup you don't have the option of giving Nalia the Adventurer kit, and if you choose 'No Change' (or whatever it is), when she appears in-game she has Mage/Adventurer as her kit title, even though she's level 1. Even after dualling her to a mage, it still says Mage/Adventurer instead of Mage/Thief, which is what it should say.

No matter. I think I'll just go for the 70 OL and 100 FT option and use the Adventurer kit from Song and Silence, and look to get me that Ring of Lock Picks later on in the game.

Archived