Sneak peek at Version One

Nythrun

Updated site version to v1.1, thanks to Yarpen for translating to Polish and testing, and thanks to Miloch for rechecking/testing, typo-hunting, cleaning up the readMe, and generally making things happen.

The latest version, v1.1, is now up on the Download page.

cmorgan, might I suggest a compatibility note in the ReadMe regarding this issue?
Gah, I hate laundry-list type of posts like that, where the issues could be related to anyone's guess of mods :).

What exactly is the issue? It looked like a NPCKitpack thing to me.

Also, that player was running with beta 6 of L1NPCs, which is quite dated, and had a number of bugs that are ironed out now. (I believe Nythrun pretty much recoded the entire workhorse of the mod sometime after beta7.)

I see it, and thanks for the link, but I will need more info - it looks from that post like there are folks installing stuff in backwards order. L1NPCs goes next to last or last, BG2 Tweaks ditto, and any kit mods, etc. are supposed to be installed beforehand - unless Edwin's .cres are renamed completely, any changes to .cres (especially older mods that do this by copying a new version of edwin into place instead of patching the existing one, but even there it would be a problem...)

Or is that the incompatibility? Does some mod completely remove Edwin and rename his .cre something different?

What exactly is the issue? It looked like a NPCKitpack thing to me.

That Edwin component sort of works on its own, provided you don't mix it with Level 1 NPCs. I'm asking that the Lvl 1 NPCs ReadMe mentions this issue under its 'Compatibility' portion, just like it does with Ashes of Embers and Refinements, in order to help players avoiding mod issues in their games.

Also, that player was running with beta 6 of L1NPCs, which is quite dated, and had a number of bugs that are ironed out now. (I believe Nythrun pretty much recoded the entire workhorse of the mod sometime after beta7.)

Did you read what Erik and I posted? I linked directly to his post for a reason, you know...

Did you read what Erik and I posted? I linked directly to his post for a reason, you know...
I scanned it, and as I said, it appeared NPCKit-related. But I was asking you for a summary. I'm not going to try to figure out what's going on from a post several months ago with an outdated beta and a nonstandard install order (and cmorgan seems to be saying the same thing in a gentler, less orcish fashion :)).

Edit: And maybe my larger point was missed, which was that someone should probably test that Edwin mod with the more recent L1NPCs before making compatibility judgments. It could well be it has compatibility issues either way, but we need more recent testing to confirm that.

Yep - read it, specifically the one problem posted here...

rereading it, what I think you guys are saying is that a mod which adds a kit via a script (like, for instance, Zyraen's Hidden Kits work, or perhaps some of the older mods that used to trick the game into seeing a new kit instead of patching it in directly) runs into problems.

That makes sense. I am stuck for time today, but will revisit this tomorrow - do you guys have other mods in mind that probably will not work, so I don't have to repackage everything and then repackage it again in a few hours?

EDIT: doggone - Miloch and I are crossposting :)

I scanned it, and as I said, it appeared NPCKit-related. But I was asking you for a summary. I'm not going to try to figure out what's going on from a post several months ago with an outdated beta and a nonstandard install order (and cmorgan seems to be saying the same thing in a gentler, less orcish fashion :)).

I had the latest version of Level 1 NPCs until now, and experienced that problem. I believe Erik browsed the code with the latest one also. So the problem is current.

I'm not asking you guys to recode Level 1 NPCs to make up for NPCKit's deficiencies. I only want a note in the Readme that says that if you mix the Red Wizard title component from NPCKit with Level 1 NPCs, regardless of the order, you're gonna get screwed. That's all (though probably not in those exact terms :D).

Note that this is not a necessity for me, I'm aware now of how to avoid the issue. I'm just trying to save you guys time for when another fella comes around wondering why Edwin's spells are out of whack and the game is potentially broken.

And since I'm at it, the weidu log entry for the Edwin component from Level 1 NPCs had his surname mispelled in the previous version.

I had the latest version of Level 1 NPCs until now, and experienced that problem. I believe Erik browsed the code with the latest one also. So the problem is current.
Well, sure, you had the latest version at that time. Or did you? I suspect it was the beta 7, which until today was the "official" version on the project and download pages (even to get the v1 you had to dig around in some obscure post and try to find it on Rapidshare or the like).

All I'm saying is someone should test it with v1.1 before we confirm it in the readme. Like I said, Nythrun recoded things pretty significantly between beta6/7/whatever and v1. We've already ruled out quite a number of bugs people keep reporting with beta7 that aren't in v1.

And since I'm at it, the weidu log entry for the Edwin component from Level 1 NPCs had his surname mispelled in the previous version.
This, at least, I can confirm without further testing, since it is "Edwin Odessiron" in the .tra, and "Edwin Odesserion" in the .tp2. It should be "Edwin Odesseiron." (I guess - another reference in dialog.tlk has Edwin Odessarian. Why she bothered with their surnames at all is beyond me :).)
Well, sure, you had the latest version at that time. Or did you? I suspect it was the beta 7, which until today was the "official" version on the project and download pages (even to get the v1 you had to dig around in some obscure post and try to find it on Rapidshare or the like).

~LEVEL1NPCS/LEVEL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Nythrun's Level One NPCs, Version 1, Nov 28, 2007: List party-joinable NPCs (required to install any other components)

Link

All I'm saying is someone should test it with v1.1 before we confirm it in the readme. Like I said, Nythrun recoded things pretty significantly between beta6/7/whatever and v1. We've already ruled out quite a number of bugs people keep reporting with beta7 that aren't in v1.

IT'S NOT A BUG IN LEVEL 1 NPCs, I NEVER SAID SO. IT'S AN INCOMPATIBILITY WITH NPCKIT BECAUSE OF HOW THAT MOD APPLIES THE 'RED WIZARD TITLE' COMPONENT. SHEESH.

OK, dudes, ok - no worries :)

I am still moving through my list as fast as I can, but won't be able to make it to this today (and may not make it until next Monday at this rate). I will happily put a warning in the readme and packages that says there have been reported problems using that particular Edwin mod with level1npcs, and that further testing is indicated.

In the meantime, if anyone has the opportunity to do so, could someone try a mod (any mod) which applies kits via script, and see what it does to an NPC that has been, well, "level1npc"-ed? It would be nice to give folks more information, and it might help Nythrun determine what could be done about it (if anything).

we understand it is not a bug report, it is an incmpatibility report. It might be with more than one mod, and it would be really nice to know structurally if this particular way of applying kits can rule out compatibility right away.

IT'S NOT A BUG IN LEVEL 1 NPCs
Enough with the all caps "shouting." I was just asking for someone to confirm it on v1 or later, which you did not do until now. I do not, in fact, keep track of everyone's WeiDU log, and I especially do not have time to read spam posts like the one you linked :). When you say something like "most recent version" and the most recent version on the official site was beta 7 until today, it raises questions. A simple answer is preferable to a runaround with links etc.

Gents, sorry to be so late to the party.

cmorgan and Miloch, congrats on the new release.

cmorgan, I did not know you had enough admin access to update the download page. Thank you.

BTW I was planning to email TheWizard to update the mirrors once a new version was in the pipe. I'll send him a note tomorrow.

As for the ReadMe, I agree with Daulmakan, let's put a line stating the incompat. It can always be updated later.

Also about the ReadMe, I have not seen the new edits, and I have a few myself. Miloch, you're still hosting the ReadMe? Is it the updated, edited version?

cmorgan, can you also update the mod's main page description? It too needs a refresh.

Archived