Reporting Bugs (for versions 1.2 or earlier)

Nythrun

Are these the only mods you have installed? Which component of L1NPC were you in when the error occurred?

I've got a couple of other mods, but they're just files added to override, shouldn't be preventing this one at all?

I think I've got BG2 Tweaks from Baldurdash installed though...

This error occurs once I get to the characters (just after the experience close to your level one). I tried making a dummy pdialog.2da file to see what happened, it didn't complain about not having the file, but still gave an error when trying to mod each character (or whatever it does) that I don't have the primary component installed? (or something to that effect).

If I say to skip all the optional mods, it would just complain about not being able to load the pdialog.2da file.

Post a list of the mods installed, even the override ones. Arrange the list in the order you installed/added them. If the mods are not common -- for exmaple, I have no idea what "BG2 Tweaks from Baldurdash" is -- provide us with a link to mod's site.

Also: be sure you're using the most recent version of L1NPCs, v1.1

http://www.baldurdash.org/tweaksandcheats.html

A lot of them came from here

Universal Carsomyr (makes Carsomyr equipable by anyone)

Bonus CD Merchants (grants the extra shops from the collecter's edition disc)

Bottomless bag of holding

"happy scripts" (stop NPCs walking out due to reputations and makes the romances easier)

XP Cap remover

(Note that all of these just added files to the override)

Official BGII Patch

G3 fix pack (just realised I used this one instead of the baldurdash one)

Level 1 NPCs (v1.1)

Also note that I only have SoA (not ToB) and didn't install the FULL version, just enough to play single and multiplayer (just to get all created groups) as I don't really have the diskspace to have the full install.

"Not a full install" may be the culprit. Or you may have a corrupted/incomplete data/default.bif, pdialog.2da should be in that archive file.

Mine (english, dvd version, patched SoA 23037) is 5847739 bytes.

md5sum data/default.bif

da296b3db0b7e1504a9bee83be37ab47 data/default.bif

"Not a full install" may be the culprit. Or you may have a corrupted/incomplete data/default.bif, pdialog.2da should be in that archive file.

Mine (english, dvd version, patched SoA 23037) is 5847739 bytes.

md5sum data/default.bif

da296b3db0b7e1504a9bee83be37ab47 data/default.bif

By "not a full install" i just meant I didn't do the install that adds the movie files. Would I have to do that?

Basic Suggestion - Reinstall BG2 from scratch?

Or put your setup-level1npcs.debug file somewhere public and let us pick over it a bit.

OK - well I'm reinstalling the game from scratch, full version this time as I did notice the install saying it could find a movie file (which wouldn't be there) and said it didn't think that I had the game installed - it carried on none-the-less though.

The other error I was getting was that I did not have the Primary component installed - having read the readme about the mod again I saw that it has a Primary Component at the start - I'm wondering if that never fired...at what point should it have? Running the first executable, or the setup one?

Any case, plan of attack is:

- Install FULL version of BG2 (instead of "recommended" version - btw, this is from the 4 CD version of the game, not the DVD)

- Install official game patch

- Install G3 FixPack

- Install Lvl1 NPCs mod and see if it works

- Once confirmed, THEN install other mods

I'll let you know how it goes...

pantherus, thanks for the update.

I'm gonna submit my suggestions now on an install, but won't be able to follow-up 'til Sunday. There are plenty of experienced players to alter my advice, so you should be fine.

I'm not sure that a Full install is absolutely necessary, as it can be faked:

How to "fake" a [Recommended/Full] install from a Minimum install. Hopefully this will save you some disk space (although might not be much).

Looking at the Baldurdash tweaks, which are only for a SoA-only install, they should be okay. Three of them (I bolded them below) can be gained from G3 BG2 Tweak Pack, which is a highly recommeded mod. If you want to stick with Baldurdash tweaks, be sure to install them as below.

You might want to stick with Blucher's Bottomless Bag Of Holding, as the one in G3Tweaks updates all containers (see ReadMe). In fact, now that you've reminded us of the older tweak, I might use it in the future and forego the G3 Tweak version.

Finally, Happy Patches prevent NPCs from infighting, but also apparently prevents them from doing other things. You'll have to decide which is more important to your game, infighting or not.

Official BGII Patch

Universal Carsomyr (makes Carsomyr equipable by anyone)

Bottomless bag of holding

Bonus CD Merchants

"happy scripts"

G3 BG2 Fixpack

XP Cap remover

>> If you want, forego the bolded tweaks above, and use their versions in G3 BG2 Tweak Pack

Level 1 NPCs (v1.1)

Hi,

Well it is all working well now! Monk Jaheira here I come! :p

Thanks for your suggestions, having seen that many mods are in the tweak pack I'm installing that now and will forgo the older versions (not too fussed about the other containers being changed too) and I don't plan to use Haer-Daelis (sp?) past his own quest. I'm going to have my little harem of Nalia, Aerie, Jaheira, Viconia and Imoen with my char, including the other NPCs just for their quests then dropping them - though reconsidering whether Nalia/Viconia will be taken if their romance tweaks do not work...

Thanks for your help everyone - the problem was definitely the initial component not installing, though as to what caused that, I'm stumped...

Good to hear that you got it working - here's a bit more information.

OK - well I'm reinstalling the game from scratch, full version this time as I did notice the install saying it could find a movie file (which wouldn't be there) and said it didn't think that I had the game installed - it carried on none-the-less though.

The other error I was getting was that I did not have the Primary component installed - having read the readme about the mod again I saw that it has a Primary Component at the start - I'm wondering if that never fired...at what point should it have? Running the first executable, or the setup one?

The first component makes sure pdialog.2da is copied to the override if it's not there already. The message about checking for a movie file is used to determine what version of the game you have, and may preclude a component if you fail its check (I think I 'had' to move my movie .bifs to the movies folder from my CD2, CD3, etc. folders to accommodate this check) so that may explain why you weren't able to install this component without a full install of the game.

For your installer question, when you open the Windows version of a G3 mod, it will try to extract its contents to your BG folder and immediately run the setup-modname.exe file. I prefer to manually extract the contents of the file (using WinRAR) and install at a later time by running setup-modname.exe.

I am having a problem when installing the Song and Silence kit 'sharpshooter' and then using Level1NPCs to try to create one. Sharpshooters are allowed up to mastery (3 *s I believe) in missile weps that a thief can use. But I cannot get this to work with either slings nor short bows. One * only.

I spoke too soon. Level1NPCs now correctly lists 5 possibles for sling for Aerie the sharpshooter. But when you find her in the game, it still only lets you place 2 slots in sling. So this is _better_ but still not _fixed_.

I used LvlOneNPCs to change Imoen to a sorcerer and have left it that way for several games in a row (several months now).

The bug I get is that sometimes when I start a game, her class reverts to thief/mage and at other times her class is sorcerer as expected. Moreover, the thief/mage Imoen may or may not be equipped. In my most current game, she was equipped with the armor, bow, arrows, healing potions and potion of speed and is a level 6 thief and I forget what level mage. Other times she has had no additional items and her levels are IIRC the same as if it were the unmodded version.

I have not made any changes to the installed mods nor rearranged the mod order between the prior and current game, so it's not due to new mods being added between games.

John

Archived