Angelo NPC Revealed: A Call For Beta Testers!

Kulyok

Oh, what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall while Sister Vigilante does the crossmod content voicing between Angelo and Xan.... (which, btw, I hope makes its way into the crossmod banter packs sooner rather than later ... same for Kivan, another BG1 guy who has become a staple in my BG2 games)

Actually, Angelo-Xan content(with voicing) is ready, and it's been submitted to Crossmod Banter Pack through berelinde, so. ;)

If Domi and SisterVigilante would like to have Angelo-Kivan content and they'd both have the time, this would be great, too, I agree.

Yes, Angelo/Xan crossmod will be in the next release of Crossmod Banter Pack. I'm waiting until somebody has some ideas about a Mac installation error, though, because I haven't a clue why it won't install on a Mac, but does just fine on Windows.

Yes, Angelo/Xan crossmod will be in the next release of Crossmod Banter Pack. I'm waiting until somebody has some ideas about a Mac installation error, though, because I haven't a clue why it won't install on a Mac, but does just fine on Windows.

I haven't compared the contents of the extracted folders for v.6 and v.7, but I suspect there's something different enough about which files are present in each that it would make a difference. As I've said before, v.6 has always worked perfectly on my Mac, but v.7 won't install. If I remember, I'll take a look with my own untrained eyes, to see if I can spot anything worth noting.

Happy New Year!

Eric

Much thanks for welcomes! ;)

Very, very nice. I like Angelo's voice(and Xan's ) and banters/romance, music track is good too.

and, thank you!

I appreciate that! Strikes me as odd that not more people chime in regarding issues on the Mac side of things. That will inspire me to offer up what insights I've been gaining in the course of my testing.

Now, you and I both know that Macs are like tiny angels in machine form sent down to earth. As a Mac user, I would definitely appreciate any and all Mac-related help/testing/&etc.

How did I not see this thread sooner? This is neat! Definitely going to download this, if only because Sister Vigilante's avatar compels me to do so.

*psst* The mod also has ninja in it. Four, to be precise. Just sayin'. ;)

Yes, there is Xan-Angelo content (some written by me, some by K.), and it was surreal to voice. My initial concern was that I couldn't make Angelo sound different from Xan (and I originally wanted to find somebody else, in fact), so you'll have to see how it turned out...

In an exceptionally irritating move, my game first crashed, and my CDs are refusing to reinstall. Well, I was wanting an excuse to buy the BG/BG2 DVD anyway, so this was a good excuse-- now I'll get to play BG1 as well!

Unfortunately, that also means no Angelo-testing for a while, for which I am sorry. That being said, I did look at the readme, so I do have some feedback to contribute (I'm resisting the temptation to read the .d files.).

My first instinct is that it's going to be awesome-- looks like Angelo's going to be rocking the older-man appeal (based on his fathering another NPC, he must be at least twice CHARNAME's age, right?), not to mention a good sense of humor (If the provided quotes are typical of his dialog, he's going to be a lot of fun to have around!). Also, if I'm reading the readme right, it looks as if the mod has a lot of player-triggered conversations, which is always a nice option-- especially if, for a change, nobody in the party is chatting and/or bickering with anyone else!

That being said, I have a mixed response to his portrait, however-- to my eye, the proportions seem off somehow, as if his face is too short. I can't really clarify past that, and it may just be me.

More, hopefully, soon.

Heh, right as I was about to comment on how relatively quiet the BG2 modding scene's been, I hop on G3 and see this, lol.

I'll grab this as soon as it hits v1 (I'm not much for beta testing, anymore, unfortunately). I'm looking forward to having a party with a few non-good characters, it keeps things interesting :).

Great concept, by the way :). I've always wanted to hear more about Sarevok's friends.

In an exceptionally irritating move, my game first crashed, and my CDs are refusing to reinstall. Well, I was wanting an excuse to buy the BG/BG2 DVD anyway, so this was a good excuse-- now I'll get to play BG1 as well!

Ah, I remember the days when BGII used to plague me with technical problems from sunup till sundown...and now when I installed in on my new Mac to playtest Angelo, the drama began again...

Good luck with it, eh? ;)

My first instinct is that it's going to be awesome-- looks like Angelo's going to be rocking the older-man appeal (based on his fathering another NPC, he must be at least twice CHARNAME's age, right?),

Sure enough, he is pushing fifty--which may actually make him the oldest human NPC, since I read somewhere that Keldorn is only 40 (!? I guess he's going prematurely grey...)

not to mention a good sense of humor (If the provided quotes are typical of his dialog, he's going to be a lot of fun to have around!). Also, if I'm reading the readme right, it looks as if the mod has a lot of player-triggered conversations, which is always a nice option-- especially if, for a change, nobody in the party is chatting and/or bickering with anyone else!

:)

That being said, I have a mixed response to his portrait, however-- to my eye, the proportions seem off somehow, as if his face is too short. I can't really clarify past that, and it may just be me.

(I know what you mean. I actually tried lengthening the face a little myself; but I think it's a good piece otherwise. This is a hot topic with the beta-ers, in fact, and we have several submissions for alternates, so you'll have a choice in the end...)

Heh, right as I was about to comment on how relatively quiet the BG2 modding scene's been, I hop on G3 and see this, lol.

I'll grab this as soon as it hits v1 (I'm not much for beta testing, anymore, unfortunately). I'm looking forward to having a party with a few non-good characters, it keeps things interesting :D.

Great concept, by the way :D. I've always wanted to hear more about Sarevok's friends.

:) Cool, we (well, of course) hope you'll enjoy it!

I heard someone was working on a Tamoko mod, too...now if someone would just go and make Semaj, you could roll in ToB with all of Sarevok's original party ;)

Ah, I remember the days when BGII used to plague me with technical problems from sunup till sundown...and now when I installed in on my new Mac to playtest Angelo, the drama began again...

Good luck with it, eh? :)

Thanks! Hopefully, since it's all on a single DVD, it'll be less complicated; plus, it comes with BG1/TotSC, which I've never played... which means I'll spend even more time running around with swords and spells, killing stuff, rather than doing housework, coursework, work-work.... ah, well. Every silver lining, etc.

(I know what you mean. I actually tried lengthening the face a little myself; but I think it's a good piece otherwise. This is a hot topic with the beta-ers, in fact, and we have several submissions for alternates, so you'll have a choice in the end...)

It's a great portrait other than that-- very expressive, and it gives an immediate impression of his character in general. This is either a man who doesn't take anyone or anything particularly seriously, or a man who uses wordplay, sarcasm, etc, to keep people off-guard and at a distance... or both, really.

Since you modelled him roughly after WS's Angelo, you might find this interesting-- it's a Measure for Measure fanfiction (yeah, I know)-- centered on Angelo and Mariana. Excerpt:

"Well! Methinks I see a proper spirit of humility in you, like to that of your virtuous wife. I did well when I ordered the two of you married." The Duke leaned back in his chair and rubbed his hands together, and suddenly Mariana understood exactly why Isabella had refused the best match in Vienna.

"Pardon me, my lord, but you ordered me widowed, and him beheaded. I call that a strange sort of marriage."

"I feared, Mariana, that it would be a stranger marriage if he lived, but I am pleased to see it is not so." The Duke gave them both a searching look, and Mariana quickly reached for Angelo’s hand. As a gesture of affection, it was not entirely successful because Angelo did not seem to know what to do with hers, but it might have deceived the Duke by candlelight.

Since you modelled him roughly after WS's Angelo, you might find this interesting-- it's a Measure for Measure fanfiction

C.S. Lewis described heaven as a place where platitudes are restored to their full, original meaning. I can't help but think of that now when a warmed-over phrase is the only one that could possibly serve:

You have won the internets. All of them.

C.S. Lewis described heaven as a place where platitudes are restored to their full, original meaning. I can't help but think of that now when a warmed-over phrase is the only one that could possibly serve:

You have won the internets. All of them.

I'm not familiar with the author (got the link through another friend), but s/he clearly has a strong concept of the character-- despites Angelo's behavior, he can't be a total, epic villain, or why would the Duke place him in charge? The more reasonable explanation is that Angelo believes wholeheartedly in the law... until it crosses what he wants; a_t_rain's "whited sepulchre" line is a key to the character, IMO.

ETA: That is, Angelo's behavior was hypocritical, but he's a self-aware hypocrite, which leaves not only the possibility, but the probability, of change or redemption (which brings us back on-topic to BGAngelo!).

I'm not familiar with the author (got the link through another friend), but s/he clearly has a strong concept of the character-- despites Angelo's behavior, he can't be a total, epic villain, or why would the Duke place him in charge? The more reasonable explanation is that Angelo believes wholeheartedly in the law... until it crosses what he wants; a_t_rain's "whited sepulchre" line is a key to the character, IMO.

ETA: That is, Angelo's behavior was hypocritical, but he's a self-aware hypocrite, which leaves not only the possibility, but the probability, of change or redemption (which brings us back on-topic to BGAngelo!).

I agree, which makes him one of the more interesting characters in the Shakespearean canon--sort of on a level with Shylock, except that the possibilities of his redemption are at least explored.

It's funny: I read that the classification of "problem plays" attaching to Measure, Troilus & Cressida and All's Well (and arguably The Merchant of Venice) originally meant they were about social problems, not that they presented problems for the reader. It's sort of ironic that (I think) it's come to mean the latter, as if the two were somehow related :)

I haven't gotten to reading the story, but I certainly will...this is just too good to pass up...I wonder if there's more out there? I can just imagine 13-year-old girls writing Antonio/Bassiano slashfic. Or for that matter, Antonio/Shylock slashfic. An Othello/Iago slashfic titled "I am Yours Forever" with an Evanesence lyric as an epigraph. Maybe I'd better stop this train of thought.

But in the serious vein, it's something I'm almost tempted to try myself :)

Archived