Soliciting Translations

Nythrun

I don't believe this is worth the trouble. The impact for French is very limited, only a few wrong characters once in a while. Nothing preventing people to read the names properly.

I believe new problems will arise with this kind of conversion. For instance Russian and Polish use different code pages. When you open a text file, such as the TP2 file, including special characters but in another code page, they look different. When I open a polish or russian tra file, or if I check the typical language description stuff of a mod (the first parameter of LANGUAGE), it's not rare to find special character, such as ~Français (traduit par René)~. I found that such strings for Russian or Polish often displayed with special characters such as àé in the Western code page. So I'm quite sure a conversion would damage the texts for languages using other code pages, since our text files need to remain in 8 bits codes.

I believe new problems will arise with this kind of conversion. For instance Russian and Polish use different code pages.
It executes only when calling a GET_STRREF and then only if a LANGUAGE variable is matched, just like other sections of the code (such as the one you revised). Right now, that's French and Spanish. Like I said, if someone wants to get this working in something like Russian, they'll be on their own there. I am working with someone to test the Polish display - right now, testing seems to indicate Polish uses ó and Ó the same way the Western European ANSI codepage does (as in Spanish), with the same DOS replacements, so no harm in including those at least for Polish. I think WeiDU/OCaml can only be coded in ANSI (not Unicode) so I don't know if there's anything that can be done for the other special characters, but then I don't think the game is Unicode either, so maybe it's not an issue.

Sorry Miloch, I didn't understand the code would be protected by language check and that it would only serve when extracting texts from the game. To avoid other issues it should also be protected so that it doesn't trigger with MacOS and Linux. I believe they don't have the same stupid difference between DOS and Windows charset.

You're right, WeiDU and the game seem to use ANSI only. That's why it can get nasty if people edit the tra files without paying attention to the coding.

Too bad WeiDU doesn't know about languages (using specific id for each) otherwise this kind of code would be best within WeiDU. That would be a huge change though and might break compatibility. Nevermind. There are probably more interesting features to add.

Too bad WeiDU doesn't know about languages (using specific id for each) otherwise this kind of code would be best within WeiDU. That would be a huge change though and might break compatibility. Nevermind. There are probably more interesting features to add.
It could probably be put in as a function at least, that way modders can call it only if they need it (mainly for displaying game text in a DOS window). Though like I said, it could also convert a .tra file with Windows codepage special characters to the DOS codepage (unless you have "transliterated" it to avoid those characters, as you've done in French).

I had to add/change a few strings, I'm afraid, but I think we're reaching the end here, but for the readme update. There is an experimental dialogue updating routine based on the NPCs chosen class/kit, so it *might* be necessary to traify the male/female class/kit names for other languages. From what I saw of the German game, they don't even appear to be in dialogf.tlk. But I want to avoid that if possible, so for now I'm only traifying the one that is differently gendered in English (sorceress).

@110110 = ~magic-user~ //from game string #65026

@110111 = ~sorceress~

@129510 = ~This component is not compatible with BG1-style proficiencies.~

@200006 = ~Allow weapons mastery for fighter multiclasses?~

@200017 = ~Allow cleric/thieves one star in thief weapon types?~

@200018 = ~Allow cleric/rangers two stars in ranger weapon types?~

@200019 = ~Allow fighter/clerics two stars in fighter weapon types?~

@200027 = ~Hit 0 and enter for no change, 1 and enter for all weapons, 2 and enter for

longswords and longbows or 3 and enter for longswords only.~

@200028 = ~Hit 0 and enter for no change, 1 and enter for mastery (3 stars), 2 and enter

for high mastery (4 stars) or 3 and enter for grand mastery (5 stars).~

@200029 = ~Hit 0 and enter for no change, 1 and enter for all thief weapons, 2 and enter

for short swords and daggers or 3 and enter for daggers only.~

@200030 = ~Hit 0 and enter for no change, 1 and enter for all weapons or 2 and enter for

axes only.~

@200031 = ~Allow fighter/mage/clerics two stars in fighter weapon types?~

@200032 = ~Hit 0 and enter for no change, 1 and enter for all weapons or 2 and enter for

daggers only.~

@200033 = ~Allow cleric/mages one star in mage weapon types?~

@200034 = ~Hit 0 and enter for no change, 1 and enter for daggers and darts or 2 and

enter for daggers only.~

@200035 = ~Allow melee weapons mastery for barbarians?~

About this string, is it like the BG2-Tweak-Pack component?

If it's the case, here is the french translation:

@110110 = ~magicien~

@110111 = ~sorcière~

@129510 = ~Ce composant est incompatible avec le systeme des competences martiales, Style BG1.~

@200006 = ~Autoriser la maitrise des armes aux guerriers multiclasses ?~

@200017 = ~Autoriser aux clercs/voleurs une etoile dans n'importe quel type d'arme permis a un voleur ?~

@200018 = ~Autoriser aux clercs/rodeurs deux etoiles dans n'importe quel type d'arme permis a un rodeur ?~

@200019 = ~Autoriser aux guerriers/clercs deux etoiles dans n'importe quel type d'arme permis a un guerrier ?~

@200027 = ~Pressez 0 puis Entree pour n'effectuer aucun changement, 1 pour l'appliquer a toutes les armes, 2 pour seulement les epees longues et les arcs longs, ou 3 pour les epees longues uniquement.~

@200028 = ~Pressez 0 puis Entree pour n'effectuer aucun changement, 1 pour selectionner la maitrise (3 etoiles), 2 pour selectionner la haute maitrise (4 etoiles), ou 3 pour selectionnerla grande maitrise (5 etoiles).~

@200029 = ~Pressez 0 puis Entree pour n'effectuer aucun changement, 1 pour l'appliquer a toutes les armes de voleur, 2 pour seulement les epees courtes et les dagues, ou 3 pour les dagues uniquement.~

@200030 = ~Pressez 0 puis Entree pour n'effectuer aucun changement, 1 pour l'appliquer a toutes les armes, ou 2 pour les haches uniquement.~

@200031 = ~Autoriser aux guerriers/mages/clercs deux etoiles dans n'importe quel type d'arme permis a un guerrier ?~

@200032 = ~Pressez 0 puis Entree pour n'effectuer aucun changement, 1 pour l'appliquer a toutes les armes, ou 2 pour les dagues uniquement.~

@200033 = ~Autoriser aux clercs/mages une etoile dans n'importe quel type d'arme permis a un mage ?~

@200034 = ~Pressez 0 puis Entree pour n'effectuer aucun changement, 1 pour l'appliquer aux dagues et aux flechettes, ou 2 pour les dagues uniquement.~

@200035 = ~Autoriser la maitrise des armes de melee aux barbares ?~

Besides, there is a small change about the last strings you sent me:

@-1036 = "Saute le GROUPE ["

@-1037 = "] pour cause d'absence des pre-requis."

Edited by Graoumf
About this string, is it like the BG2-Tweak-Pack component?
It isn't like it - it is it (or rather, the proficiency tweaks can't be installed if that component from BG2 Tweaks is). I though vaguely of making it compatible but figured that would be stupid, because with BG1 proficiencies you're already getting a lot of "free" proficiencies because the categories are a lot larger (short swords and daggers are the same proficiency, for example). Anyway, cheers.
Indeed... it's a mistake. Can you fix it, please?
Yes that's easy, but I'll be adding at least one section (on how to install via a batch file) so stay awake :D.
I'm ready! :)
Well since I've kept you awake for a month, I'll try to describe what I updated in the English readme so you don't have to retranslate it all :D.

Changed under "Compatibility":

If you'd like to install the BG1-style proficiencies component of BG2 Tweaks, you may now install that before Level 1 NPCs and it should correctly pick up those proficiencies. You may also install it after Level 1 NPCs.

Changed under "Installation":

Mac OS X

Extract the contents of the mod to the folder of the game you wish to modify. (BG2, Tutu or BGT). You can extract files from the archive using WinRAR, ZipGenius or another file compression utility that handles .rar files. On successful extraction, there should be a level1npcs subfolder in your game folder. Download the OS X version of WeiDU (or copy another mod's launcher) and rename it setup-level1npcs. Put this and the setup-level1npcs.command file within the level1npcs subfolder in your main game folder. To install, double-click on setup-level1npcs.command and follow the instructions on screen.

Installing in batch mode

You may find it easier to install the mod via a batch file of previously chosen or logged selections. There is an example of this in the "batchlog" subfolder, which is for BGT without any mod NPCs installed, and can be adjusted for your game accordingly. You would copy the levelonenpc.cmd and levelonenpc.txt files to your game folder, adjust the levelonenpc.txt file to reflect your preferences and then execute the levelonenpc.cmd file to install the mod. There are doubtless other ways to do this, which may be documented accordingly in the future. :)

Changed and added under "Components" (a lot of this first component is the same but I've revised it and added some bits, which I've italicised):

Tweak weapon proficiencies for some classes - Optional

This component alters weapon proficiency rules like other mods such as Ashes of Embers or Rogue Rebalancing, with specifics described below.

When you're altering the joinable NPCs, this mod follows whatever rule set is in place. So if you want mages to be able to use crossbows, and you want Edwin to have to crossbow proficiency, you'll need to change the rules so that this mod will know what rules to follow. Most of the content here mirrors other mods and is presented as convenience, or as an alternative to the many mods that must be installed last.

You can:

• Allow clerics one star in any weapon type a fighter can use; if your deity's weapon is a sword, you should bloody well be able to use a sword! :) At this prompt you may choose to allow clerics one star (which will encompass the following three changes by default), choose amongst the following options separately, or skip all cleric-related tweaking.
  • If you refused "one star in anything for clerics," allow cleric/mages one star in mage weapon types (1 for daggers and darts or 2 for daggers only).
  • If you refused "one star in anything for clerics," allow cleric/thieves one star in thief weapon types (1 for all thief weapons, 2 for short swords and daggers or 3 for daggers only).
  • If you refused "one star in anything for clerics," allow cleric/rangers one star in ranger weapon types (1 for all weapons, 2 for longswords and longbows or 3 for longbows only).
  • If you refused "one star in anything for clerics," allow fighter/clerics two stars in any weapon type - just using the fighter restrictions rather than the cleric's, as fighter/mages and fighter/thieves already do. Choosing "2" allows only axes in addition to standard cleric weapons.
  • If you refused "one star in anything for clerics," allow fighter/mage/clerics two stars in any weapon type. Choosing "2" allows only daggers in addition to standard cleric weapons. I'm sure you can make up your own mind. :)
  • Allow druids one star in any weapon type a fighter can use. This will allow fighter/druid multiclasses the full gamut of weapons available to fighters (as per second edition AD&D rules).
  • Restrict fighter/druids from armors single class druids cannot wear - by request; seems closer to the arbitrary 2nd edition rules in any case. This component will be automatically skipped if you have installed Druid Remix from Divine Remix or Item Revisions, as they already include this change.
  • Allow weapons mastery for fighter multiclasses - some will find it cheesy, but if you were going to get this elsewhere (e.g. BG2 Tweaks), then you might as well have it for party joinables too. You may limit this to mastery (3 stars), high mastery (4 stars) or grand mastery (5 stars).
  • Allow melee weapons mastery for for barbarians - as above, but pertains only to non-ranged weapons. You may limit this to mastery (3 stars), high mastery (4 stars) or grand mastery (5 stars).
  • Allow thieves, mages and bards to place one star in any weapon type.
  • Allow thieves and thief multiclasses three stars in dual-wielding - a la aVENGER's Rogue Rebalancing, Song and Silence, and probably a dozen other mods :) (and will be skipped if you have this tweak already installed from somewhere else)
  • Allow backstab with any weapon a mage/thief, fighter/thief or cleric/thief can use. Backstabbing with a two-handed sword shouldn't be less effective than backstabbing with a quarterstaff, yes?
  • Make quarterstaves unusable for backstabbing - by request.
  • Make all two-handed weapons unusable for backstabbing - note that in the unmodded game, the only two-handed weapon that is capable of backstabbing is the quarterstaff, so this isn't going to do much unless you've already installed the "allow backstab with thief multiclass weapons" subcomponent.

Add kits to exported characters - Optional

This component allows brave cheaters, er, players to assign a kit to an exported PC. Most people who'd consider doing that will probably use an editor like DLTCEP or NI instead :). You cannot use this component to assign a kit to a character already kitted. Nor can you uninstall the component normally, as it makes no changes to your actual game. You can, however, restore characters in the level1npcs/backup/2 folder if you aren't happy with your changes. It is always wise to keep an extra backup also, just in case.

Balanced BG1 NPC attributes - Optional; Tutu and BGT only

This component adjusts the attributes of BG1 NPCs, as discussed in this topic. The original mod is by Ergopad; mos_anted made some slight adjustments (as discussed later in the topic). Therefore, you've got two choices (or three since you can skip it entirely, as will happen anyway if you're installing on BG2).

Dudleyfix for BG1 NPCs - Optional; Tutu and BGT only

This component "fixes" the attributes of BG1 NPCs, as discussed in this link. Primarily, this addresses various inconsistencies as noted on that page.

Fix BG1 NPC spells and innate abilities - Optional; Tutu and BGT only

As above, this fixes various glitches in spell books and innate abilities. This is the last of Ergopad's 3 components, offered here for convenience prior to making future NPC tweaks.

Update game references to NPC classes/kits - Optional

This component does nothing in itself, but enables the changing of game dialogues, item descriptions and character biographies that reference an NPC's class or kit if you have changed that class or kit. It is very select; for example, it does not change a cleric's deity mentioned in dialogue you've changed the kit, though if you change the class, the cleric may become referred to as a paladin (or whatever) of said deity. Changes should be logged to the batchlog/l1dlg.txt file. Please attach this to the forum if you wish to report any discrepancies while using this component (which is optional, if we didn't mention it already).

Added under "Thanks and Acknowledgments":

• Lord Psion and Ancalagon el Negro: Spanish translation
  • Graoumf and Isaya: French translation
  • yarpen and Lava Del'Vortel: Polish translation
  • Ergopad: BG1 NPC-related components (with an option to tweak further by mos_anted)

Added under "Version History" (which you have left in English, but here it is anyway):

Version 1.4: Mad Orcish Rampage (28Oct10)

• Added French and Spanish translations; updated Polish translation
  • Added optional dialogue-modding component and logging
  • Added altered proficiency support (a la BG2 Tweaks) for modded NPCs
  • Added display conversion for accented characters leeched from game text
  • Added function to display current NPC stats
  • Tweaked animation assignment (primarily to avoid bearded female gnomes and the like)
  • Fixed regexp typo pertaining to one-handed axes
  • Revised weapon assignment routine to avoid duplicate and redundant weapons
  • Revised armour assignment routine to make heavier armour more realistic (also fixed some bugs)
  • Added more options to the "Tweak weapon proficiencies" component (largely specific to multi-classes and barbarians); fixed a bug or two
  • Auto-skipped weapon-tweaking questions if another mod has done something similar
  • Skipped kit menu for sorcerers and monks (if someone hacks that, we can re-enable it)
  • Added support for mod NPCs
  • Fixed a bug in setting item "baseclass" usability if no kit chosen
  • Fixed kit display in deprecated component and undeprecated it via NO_LOG_RECORD (yes, it should be safe, but you should keep extra backups just in case)
  • Required main component for all subcomponents to avoid uninstall and reinstall glitches
  • Added "hard to kill" support for Ajantis, Shar-Teel and Viconia pre-joining
  • Fixed bug in proficiency assignment for Haer'Dalis, Jan and Xan
  • Added Ergopad's "NPC Attributes" components for BG1 NPCs (with an extra option by mos_anted)
  • Added option to manually mess further with NPC attributes
  • Grouped components for easier selection (or not)
  • Possibly other stuff I've forgotten that Nythrun has probably already recoded in some better form ;)

It would help if you can just update and attach your existing readme, that way I don't have to convert all the accented characters to HTML code, etc.

Edit: typo (2nd cleric/thieves > cleric/rangers)

Edited by Miloch

I need two new strings in French, Polish and Spanish (blame Kulyok :)):

@400001 = "On initial joining only"

@400002 = "On initial joining and rejoining"

These are subcomponents to the existing component "Joinable NPCs more closely match the player character's experience" (@400000).

(Is it just me or are they not making netbooks with tilde characters on the keyboards? Grrr...)