Spell Revisions Mod

Demivrgvs

Replying to Demivrgvs's suggestion of no multiple SI: yes, I see the appeal. On the other hand, even SI:Div + II is pretty inpenetrable against a significantly-higher-level enemy.

... I guess the underlying philosophy of my changes was: by all means allow enemies to raise elaborate multi-level defences, but also allow PCs to take them down using their anti-magic spells.

Replying to Fyorl's comment about contingencies: it's easier than you might think. Even without any pre-casting at all (not even of long-term spells like Stoneskin) you can do something like this:

On sight of enemy:

Chain Contingency: SI:Abj, SI:Div, Spell Turning

Contingency: Protection from Magic Weapons

1st round:

Spell Sequencer: Stoneskin, Improved Invisibility, Minor Globe of Invulnerability

(or variations thereof)

That protects you pretty thoroughly within one second of the battle starting, and it's completely legal except that in the vanilla game SI can't be put into a contingency (something SCS does allow).

...no multiple SI: yes, I see the appeal. On the other hand, even SI:Div + II is pretty inpenetrable against a significantly-higher-level enemy.
I've nothing against it being a pretty powerful combination but at least that would been less overpowered than multiple SI. Anyway now that i've finally fixed Glitterdust the SI:Div+SI:Abj has a new counter spell :) (to which Liches and Rakshasas are immune unfortunately).

After some more thoughts i think i'll change only Spellstrike to have an area of effect instead of a single target (being a level 9 spell it deserves to be extremely powerful). Furthmore i'll make the spell an Alteration/Abjuration spells as per PnP, which mean it will be THE magic attack spell bypassing both invisibility and SIs.

Why are Liches and Rakshasas immune to Glitterdust?

If Spellstrike is Abjuration and the opponent has SI:Abj... won't that negate the spell?

And I thought it wasn't possible to have Chain Contingency and Contingency active at the same time?

Why are Liches and Rakshasas immune to Glitterdust?
Liches are immune to spells of 5th level or lower, Rakshasas are affected only by spells of 8th an 9th level. I don't like these immunities but they have always been there.
If Spellstrike is Abjuration and the opponent has SI:Abj... won't that negate the spell?
Any spell which belong to more than one school actually bypass any SI. It is always treated as belonging to the school from which the SI doesn't protect (due to how the engine handles it even multiple SI won't protect from such spells).
And I thought it wasn't possible to have Chain Contingency and Contingency active at the same time?
Yes it is. And spell sequencer/trigger can be stored at the same time too.

Well it all sounds good to me then. It could be argued that the Glitterdust spell isn't affecting them though. I mean, the spell itself has already been cast and its effect is to produce that sparkly dust. Once it's produced that dust, the spell is technically over. If the dust settles on an invisible Rakshasa then no amount of spell immunities will help them

It could be argued that the Glitterdust spell isn't affecting them though. I mean, the spell itself has already been cast and its effect is to produce that sparkly dust. Once it's produced that dust, the spell is technically over. If the dust settles on an invisible Rakshasa then no amount of spell immunities will help them
It's not something that can be changed via spell...and tweaking Liches and Rakshasas is out of the scope of this mod. But now that you mention it i kinda like a "rule" that surely exist in 3.5 edition: Conjuration spells bypass magic resistance. As you said a conjuration spell (like Flame Arrow or Gliterdust) creates real "objects" and then uses them against the target, therefore it can be understandable if these spell bypasses magic resistance. I was firstly intentioned to introduce it but later i realized it was a huge change in the game and aborted it: maybe time permitting i'll make it an optional component...but it's far from my priorities.

I have always thought contingency does not allow you to cast Spell Immunity xxx spells, because all Spell Immunity (the one you choose from your spell book) does is make a list of other spells appear. And so placing SI into contingency would simply have the list appear; you would still have to choose from the list and normally cast the spell.

-Galactygon

I have always thought contingency does not allow you to cast Spell Immunity xxx spells, because all Spell Immunity (the one you choose from your spell book) does is make a list of other spells appear. And so placing SI into contingency would simply have the list appear; you would still have to choose from the list and normally cast the spell.
You're absolutely right. DavidW allow them to be casted via Contingency to make the AI a better challange (not being normally able to pre-buffs) and he also put an optional component which adds every SI as a"stand alone spell" (so that player too can use them via contingency).
You're absolutely right. DavidW allow them to be casted via Contingency to make the AI a better challange (not being normally able to pre-buffs) and he also put an optional component which adds every SI as a"stand alone spell" (so that player too can use them via contingency).

That's pretty much right, but actually even in vanilla BG2 some enemies use Spell Immunity in sequencers - invariably it's immunity to Invocation. My feeling was that (a) allowing Spell Immunity in sequencers adds interest and challenge; (b) it's probably not even deliberate that it isn't allowed (witness the enemies who do it, and note that the only reason it's not allowed is because of the way the engine handles multi-use spells.)

Progress Report:

I've improved the Gate spell (both arcane and divine version obviously) as follow:

- last 3 turns instead of 18 rounds

- its range is reduced from 30' to 20' to avoid the cheesy exploit of casting it at safe distance; i'm even pondering if reducing it to 10' would be better. The manual says that "Only desperate or suicidal mages use this spell"...so be it! :)

- Pit Fiend characteristics are "only slightly" improved but the creature now has much more hit points and some nasty combat abilities as per PnP

Beware...here comes the dreaded (improved) Pit Fiend! :)

Pit Fiend (18 Hit Dice):

STR 24, DEX 18, CON 18, INT 19, WIS 16, CHA 25; AL Lawful Evil

HP 180, AC -10, THACO -8, Saving Throws 3/3/3/8/3

5 Attacks per Round, 2d6+16 Piercing Damage (Claws, Bite & Tail +4)

Combat Abilities (20% chance each):

Disease: creatures struck by a pit fiend's bite attack must save vs. death at -6 or be infected with a vile disease known as devil chills, losing 2 points of strength after an incubation period of 12 hours

Poison: a pit fiend's bite injects a lethal poison which inflicts 20 points of damage on hit, and further 150 points after 1 turn unless a save vs. poison at -6 is made

Constrict: creatures struck by the pit fiend's tail must save vs. death at -6 to avoid being stunned for 1 round

Special Qualities:

Immune to weapons lower than +3 enchantment

Immune to confusion, fear, poison & stun effects

Regeneration: 2hp/round

Fire Resistance 100% ; Acid & Cold Resistance 50% ; Magic Resistance 65%

Note: i've tested them with SCS II (which makes good use of abilities like Fireballs, Improved Invisibility, and Meteor Swarm) they are very tough but a mid level party can still easily beat the fiend with the right tactics.

Continuing along the line of improving the summoning spells:

- "refined" Summon Fiend too (the Glabrezu summoned is only slightly more powerful)

- i was thinking about giving Necromancers some more variety and after having replaced Summon Carrion with Summon Shadow i'll probably replace Cacofiend with Summon Death Knight (Conjurers still have many other summoning spells at those levels while Necromancers had none). I've still to decide if the "Undead Demon" will work as a summoned demon (requiring a Protection from Evil and being uncontrollable) or not.

- Holy Word and Unholy Word will probably have a new effect which is the ability to banish outer planar creatures like Death Knights, Glabrezus, Pit Fiends, Devas and Planetars.

For now here it is the "refined" Glabrezu:

Glabrezu (14 Hit Dice):

STR 23, DEX 10, CON 21, INT 16, WIS 16, CHA 20; AL Chaotic Evil

HP 170, AC -6, THACO -3, Saving Throws 5/5/5/10/5

4 Attacks per Round, 2d6+15 Piercing Damage (Pincers & Claws +4)

Special Qualities:

True Seeing (each round)

Immune to weapons lower than +2 enchantment

Immune to confusion, fear, poison & stun effects

Electricity Resistance 100% ; Acid, Cold & Fire Resistance 50% ; Magic Resistance 45%

I've improved even more Glabrezus summoned by Summon Fiend, they constantly cast True Seeing as per PnP now. Summon Shadow (1-4 Shadows) and Cacofiend (Death Knight) are completed.

Shadow (4 Hit Dice):

STR -, DEX 14, CON -, INT 6, WIS 12, CHA 11; AL Chaotic Evil

HP 48, AC 5, THACO +11, Saving Throws 10/13/10/13/13

1 Attack per Round, 1d6+2 Cold Damage (Touch +2)

Special Qualities:

Immune to normal weapons

Immune to charm, confusion, hold, poison, sleep, stun & death effects

Cold Resistance 100% ; Physical Damage Resistance 50%

Being Death knights extremely powerful i've opted to have them work as the other summoned demons. They now use the uddeath.bcs script (the one used by Demon Knights in the underdark) which is even improved by SCS II and it makes good use of all his special abilities.

Death Knight (12 Hit Dice):

STR 18/00, DEX 12, CON -, INT 17, WIS 15, CHA 16; AL Lawful Evil

HP 144, AC -4, THACO +1, Saving Throws 4/4/4/8/4

2 Attacks per Round, 2d6+15 Slashing Damage (Two-Handed Sword +3)

Special Qualities:

Aura of Fear: creatures in a 5' radius must save vs. spell each round or flee in terror for 1 round

Immune to normal weapons

Immune to charm, confusion, hold, stun, sleep, poison & death effects

Cold & Electricity Resistance 100% ; Magic Resistance 75%

Special Abilities:

Death Knight's Fireball: 20d6 fire damage (save vs. spell half)

Remove Magic (twice per day, 12th level caster)

Power Words: Blind, Stun or Death (once per day each)

Symbols: of Weakness or Death (once per day each)

Archived