Spell Revisions Mod

Demivrgvs

On the assumption that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I'll borrow the "Glabrezu get truesight" power for SCSII, if you don't mind.
Good to see it's an appreciated tweak...i also had in mind to give them the ability to cast confusion (again something they do in PnP and it actually fits a being of pure chaos) but i've not implemented it for now.
I like the idea of being able to summon Death Knights. Very cool.
Thanks! I'm really proud of them! :)

Wow...improving/balancing all summons has taken me much more time than i thought. Anyway i've also decided how to tweak Mislead, Project Image and Simulacrum (there's an entire thread about these spells in fixpack's forum). Without delay these are the latest things done:

1) Mislead, Project Image & Simulacrum:

- mislead's clones last only 6 rounds, cannot do anything except walking around

- projected images can cast spells; cannot use items abilities (e.g Daystar's Sunray), quick slots (no more infinite scrolls) and innate abilities; the images cannot turn undead, hide in shadows, pickpocket, etc...

- simulacrum's clone can do everything the original caster can do; anyway quick item slots are disabled for balance purpose (the aforementioned exploit of infite scrolls/potions is really too cheesy)

- all clones cannot create further clones

- all clones/images are now displayed with the same exact colors of the original caster (you can't distinguish anymore which one is real)

2) Spider Spawn:

- surprisingly enough Giant Spider and Phase Spider were too strong for their level! :band: They have been tooned down but they have also gained vermin's immunities and a poisonous bite

- removed the 20% chance to summon two spiders instead of one but at 15th level the caster will always summon two sword spiders

Giant Spider (4 Hit Dice):

STR 15, DEX 17, CON 12, INT -, WIS 10, CHA 2; AL Neutral

HP 32, AC 6, THACO +16, Saving Throws 10/13/10/13/13

1 Attack per Round, 1d8 Piercing Damage (Bite +1)

Phase Spider (5 Hit Dice):

STR 17, DEX 17, CON 15, INT 7, WIS 13, CHA 10; AL Neutral

HP 45, AC 5, THACO +15, Saving Throws 10/13/10/13/13

2 Attacks per Round, 1d8+2 Piercing Damage (Bite +1)

Sword Spider (6 Hit Dice):

STR 17, DEX 10, CON 15, INT -, WIS 11, CHA 3; AL Neutral

HP 54, AC 3, THACO +14, Saving Throws 9/12/9/12/12

5 Attacks per Round, 1d8+2 Piercing Damage (Legs & Bite +1)

Combat Abilities (all spiders):

Poison: spiders' bites inject a venom which inflicts 2hp/round for 1 turn (save vs. poison at -3 neg.)

Special Qualities (all spiders):

Immune to charm, confusion, hold, poison & web effects

3) Wyvern Call:

- this creature was really too weak! Now it's less powerful than a 16HD elemental but it's slightly more powerful than a 12HD one; furthmore its poisonous sting can be extremely lethal

Wyvern (7 Hit Dice):

STR 19, DEX 12, CON 15, INT 6, WIS 12, CHA 9; AL Neutral Evil

HP 91, AC 2, THACO +8, Saving Throws 9/12/9/12/12

4 Attacks per Round, 2d6+9 Piercing Damage (Bite, Claws & Sting +2)

Combat Abilities:

Poison: a wyvern's sting injects a poison which inflicts 2hp/sec for 1 turn (save vs. poison at -4 neg.)

Special Qualities:

Immune to entangle, grease, hold, sleep, slow, stun & web effects

I've been BETA testing this, and would very much like the newer version, and so far, I have been greatly enjoying the experience, even though somehow the Divine Spells didn't install, I particularly like the save penalty per spell level.

I have recently wiped down to Fixpack and will install again, when I have the newer version.

Icen

I think that Sword Spider (don't know what about Phase Spider) shouldn't have any poison. With 5 apr they're strong enough.
All creatures are susceptible to further changes if the majority thinks so but for now i've done them as best as i can, striving for balance and mostly giving them abilities/immunities taken directly from PnP or common sense. Both Phase and Sword Spider have the poison ability in PnP and i've tested them against many other creatures with good results: keep in mind that they have a pretty bad thac0 and that the poison is injected only by the bite (which means 1/2 or 1/5 of their attacks respectively). Anyway thanks for pointing it out, i'll keep an eye on them.
I've been BETA testing this, and would very much like the newer version, and so far, I have been greatly enjoying the experience, even though somehow the Divine Spells didn't install, I particularly like the save penalty per spell level.
I know about your installation problem but as i said before none other have reported it and i cannot reproduce it. Sorry. ;) I'll send you the latest version right now! :band:

Progress Report: (It seems there's alway something more that can be done...)

1) Harm:

- i've done again something similar to what DavidW did; instead of reducing target to one hit point the attack now deals 150 points of magic damage, but i also allow a save vs. spell at -5 to half

- casting time is increased to 1 round but the caster now has 1 full turn to make the attack

- the caster now has a +4 bonus to attack roll instead of +2 (i've made all touch attacks at +4)

2) Bolt of Glory:

- casting time reduced to 6 (previously it was 9)

- damage type changed from piercing to magic

- i've yet to test how much but damage will surely be increased (in vanilla it was dealing less damage than a Holy Smite even if it targets only one creature and with a casting time three times longer!). For now i've increased dice size from d6 to d8 which means 6d8 vs. humanoids, 8d8 vs. undeads and 10d8 vs. demons (always ignoring magic resistance and without allowing a save)

3) Fire Seeds:

- crates 1 seed for every three levels of the druid, up to 6 seeds at 18th level (instead of vanilla's 4)

- deals 4d6 fire damage (instead of vanilla's 2d6) to target and everyone within 5' radius (save at -5 half)

- the caster now has a +4 bonus to attack roll (instead of vanilla's +2)

- the caster can now fire two seeds per round (instead of vanilla's 1apr)

4) Defensive Harmony:

- +4 bonus to AC instead of +2 and last a little longer for balance purpose (Protection from Evil in 10' radius already does +2 AC but also provide +2 to all saves, is "required" to summon demons and lasts an eternity!)

Finally...only two more creatures (Nymph & Aerial Servant) and a few more spells remain! At least for a first release! :)

The last creatures that have been "revised" are Nishruu and Mordenkainen's Sword. I need some help deciding if/how implementing some of their features. Let's start from the magical sword...

1) Mordenkainen's Sword:

- it has 36 Hit Points, AC 5, THAC0 2; immunities are left unchanged (only fixed when needed)

- the Sword is no more considered a summoned creature (it's an evocation not a conjuration/summoning spell), thus it's immune to Death Spell. I'm considering the possibility to make it dispellable. This is a radical change and i'd like to know what people think about it.

2) Nishruu & Hakeashar:

- lowered apr from 2 to 1 attack per round, thac0 is slightly better

- added a feeblemind effect to their attacks (as per PnP)

- Hakeashars have 3 more Hit Dice (which means +24 hit points and +3 to base thac0)

- in vanilla both creatures have non-enchanted attacks, what about giving them an enchantment bonus? Eventually it can be a good way to differentiates them somehow (eg. Nishruu non-enchanted, Hakeashar with a +2) and making them useful against Liches.

- what about giving them a 5' radius dispelling aura? In PnP these are large creatures of gaseous form that can contain more than one victim within themselves nullifying their magical items (even artifacts!) and making impossible to use potions and scrolls too. This too can be a way to differentiate the two creatures: maybe only Hakeashar could benefit from this ability. This is an even more radical change and i'd like to know some opinion about it before implementing it.

For now i've done them like this...

Nishruu (9 Hit Dice):

STR -, DEX 10, CON 16, INT 13, WIS 15, CHA 13; AL Chaotic Neutral

HP 90, AC 10, THACO +7, Saving Throws 8/8/8/8/8

1 Attack per Round, Drain Magic (Contact +0)

Combat Abilities:

Drain Magic:

- all magical items with charges that the target possesses will be drained by one charge, destroying them if only one remains;

- wizards lose one memorized spell. This is chosen at random, however, it will consume the highest level possible;

- causes feeblemind (save vs. spell neg.)

Special Qualities:

Absorb Magic: immune to magic, every spell cast against a nishruu heals the creature by 1d8+1 hit points

Physical Resistance 50%

On the assumption that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I'll borrow the "Glabrezu get truesight" power for SCSII, if you don't mind.

David, note that this is only the case in D&D 3.5 i.e it doesn't apply to 2E AD&D which BG2 is based on.

In 2E AD&D a Glabrezu can "merely" cast Detect Invisibility at will. FYI, even a Balor doesn't get continual True Seeing in 2E.

David, note that this is only the case in D&D 3.5 i.e it doesn't apply to 2E AD&D which BG2 is based on.
I always encourage PnP but i don't think categorising BG2 as "2nd edition only" is the best solution. I personally prefer if good ideas from both editions are taken into account. In PnP a DM shouldn't be strictly restricted by the manual if players approve his point of view. DavidW has made a great job with SCS II, improving the AI without changing the feel of the game and i think he'll surely continue to have it as one of his main objectives.
In 2E AD&D a Glabrezu can "merely" cast Detect Invisibility at will. FYI, even a Balor doesn't get continual True Seeing in 2E.
In vanilla BG all demons had the invisibilty detection by script indiscriminately which is more powerful than detect invisibility at will because it bypasses non-detection.
I'd love to make Mordenkainen's Sword immune to Death Spell. Stop those bloody dragons dispelling my wall of slashing death ¬_¬.
Such a tweak can only be implement if the AI is able to react correctly (with an AI mod). In that case Dragons can easily kill them via dispel or a minor sequencer (2 magic missile) instead of Death Spell.
Would that no also nullify the summoning limit on them?
Many players already play without the cap and filling more than five slots with Mordenkainen's Swords isn't a good spell selection imo. Anyway multiple Swords can still be killed by a single Horrid Wilting or with a Dispel/Death Spell (depending on which one will work).
I always enourage PnP but i don't think categorising BG2 as "2nd edition only" is the best solution. I personally prefer if good ideas from both editions are taken into account.

In general I agree, though I tend to use 3E material only when the relevant 2E source is not available. For example, I often reverse-engineer the physical attributes (STR, DEX, CON) of 2E monsters by using the 2nd Edition to 3rd Edition Conversion Manual as a reference point. However, note that some 3E monsters are quite different from their 2E counterparts and this should always be taken into account when attempting to strike the proper balance.

DavidW has made a great job with SCS II, improving the AI without changing the feel of the game and i think he'll surely continue to have it as one of his main objectives.

Exactly, and this is one of the main reasons why I find his mod so enjoyable.

In vanilla BG all demons had the invisibilty detection by script indiscriminately which is more powerful than detect invisibility at will because it bypasses non-detection.

True, but this ability doesn't allow them to automatically dispel illusions like Mirror Image, Blur and Mislead. OTOH, a continual True Seeing spell could do this, which would in term make these creatures much more powerful. Just my 0.02$. :)

OTOH, a continual True Seeing spell could do this, which would in term make these creatures much more powerful.

Actually, after double checking, I noticed that I was mistaken here. :) For some odd reason, a Glabrezu does have continual True Seeing even in 2E, yet a Balor doesn't. ;);)

Anyway, a Glabrezu can also cast Confusion, Dispel Magic, Mirror image and some other stuff at will. If you're interested, I could post its full 2E stat block. :)

Actually, after double checking, I noticed that I was mistaken here. :) For some odd reason, a Glabrezu does have continual True Seeing even in 2E, yet a Balor doesn't. ;);)
I'm glad i was right even without knowing i was right. :) Anyway i prefer Glabrezus having different abilities than a Balor (the latter doesn't have confusion and mirror image either)...even if they're more powerful it doesn't mean Balors should have all the abilities granted to less powerful demons imo.
Anyway, a Glabrezu can also cast Confusion, Dispel Magic, Mirror image and some other stuff at will. If you're interested, I could post its full 2E stat block. :)
DavidW already implemented them with the exception of Confusion. I've already suggested to add confusion too to him. :D
However, note that some 3E monsters are quite different from their 2E counterparts and this should always be taken into account when attempting to strike the proper balance.
I just chose whichever seems more interesting and i don't mind mixing them either. Balance can be achieved anyway imo.
Exactly, and this is one of the main reasons why I find his mod so enjoyable.
Me too. :) Rogue Rebalancing seems to follow that principle too luckily. ;)
DavidW already implemented them with the exception of Confusion. I've already suggested to add confusion too to him. :)

Excellent! And if it helps, here's the full 2E stat block:

Glabrezu, True Tanar'ri

CLIMATE/TERRAIN: The Abyss

FREQUENCY: Rare

ORGANIZATION: Solitary

ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any

DIET: Carnivore

INTELLIGENCE: Exceptional (15-16)

TREASURE: H (see below)

ALIGNMENT: Chaotic evil

NO. APPEARING: 1

ARMOR CLASS: -7

MOVEMENT: 15

HIT DICE: 10

THAC0: 11

NO. OF ATTACKS: 5

DAMAGE/ATTACK: 2d6/2d6/1d3/1d3/1d4+1

SPECIAL ATTACKS: Grab

SPECIAL DEFENSES: +2 or better weapons to hit

MAGIC RESISTANCE: 50%

SIZE: H (15'tall)

MORALE: Fanatic (17-18)

XP VALUE: 12,000

Glabrezu are the tanar'ri that typically respond to summonings from other planes. They go forth and secure power for their cause. Glabrezu are towering, broad and well-muscled, with four arms, two that end in clawed hands and two with powerful pincers. They have dog-like heads with sharp fangs and penetrating violet eyes. Their skin color ranges from a deep russet to pitch black. These commanding tanar'ri are terrifying to see. Glabrezu communicate using telepathy.

Combat:

Glabrezu usually avoid combat with mortals, preferring guile, trickery, and evil bargains. However, if things do not go as planned, the glabrezu thinks nothing of slaying the mortal (who, to the glabrezu's thinking, will probably end up in the Abyss anyway). A glabrezu can attack with two claws (1d3 damage each), two pincers (2d6 damage each), and a bite (1d4+1 damage). With a successful claw attack it can attempt to grab and pick up an opponent of 150 pounds or less (Dexterity check to avoid this). A grabbed opponent can still attack at a -4 penalty, or can break free with a successful Strength check instead of attacking. A glabrezu rarely drops a grabbed opponent unless it faces imminent death. In addition to those available to all tanar'ri, glabrezu can use the following spell-like powers at 10th level of spell use: burning hands, charm person, confusion, detect magic (always active), dispel magic, enlarge, mirror image, power word stun (7 times per day), reverse gravity, and true seeing (always active). Once per day a glabrezu can gate in one greater tanar'ri with a 50% chance of success. These creatures are immune to all nonmagical attacks such as fire, gas, acid, etc., and to weapons of less than +2 magical enchantment. Due to their role in tanar'ri society, glabrezu can plane shift at will. They rarely do this of their own volition, however, preferring to leave the Abyss only when summoned.

Habitat/Society:

Glabrezu are the covert agents of the underworld. They lure weak and impulsive mortals into giving them power. When a mortal mage summons a glabrezu, the mage is confident that strong magic will master the situation. But mages are short-sighted compared to the immortal glabrezu. The glabrezu knows that with

each summoning, its power there, like a seed of evil, germinates and begins to grow. Glabrezu possess rich treasure that they hoard in vast subterranean lairs in the Abyss. With these masses of gold, magic, and wealth they tempt mortals into summoning them.

Ecology:

Glabrezu leech power from other planes and exert their influence there with surgical precision. Although they take little part in the slaughter of the Blood War, their subtle manipulations and subjugations are a deeper evil. They do not get on well with mariliths.

Me too. ;) Rogue Rebalancing seems to follow that principle too luckily. :)

Heh, it does and I also tend to give opponents their proper PnP traits. For example, with RR, Shadow Thief opponents of level 10 and higher get the "Use Scrolls" ability complete with a 25% chance of failure, as per PnP rules. ;)

Archived