BG2 Gavin Status Report

berelinde

Oh my oh my oh my....super good or a little evil? I just don't know. Berelinde makes so many possibilities...

My brain will fry! :p

Ooooohhh...the suspense! It's exciting.

If this has been asked before (I've been away for awhile) then don't bother answering. Any "best party to have along" recommendations? I mean for the most/fun/cute/ banters and such.

Party recommendations are always tough. All NPCs have a lot of content. Viconia probably has the least, with only 3 banters, but the rest all have between 4 and 9+. Anomen (obviously), Edwin, Korgan, and Jaheira probably interject into Gavin's dialogue the most, but I've tried to make sure that no particular NPCs are slighted.

Aerie: Their relationship is rather difficult. He likes her well enough, and feels sympathy for her, but he sometimes finds her a bit too manipulative. They have a fair amount of conflict dialogue, but when Aerie isn't harping on her lost wings, their banters are friendly and kind of cute.

Anomen: I love Anomen, I really do, but Gavin won't. Anomen is a bit of an elitist, and Gavin is as common as mud and has a collection of vices, to boot. They have a few companionable banters, but their relationship is pretty strained.

Cernd: They've got a lot in common, and it's all bad. Gavin sees in Cernd things he doesn't like about himself, so their relationship is not good. This is Gavin's fault. Cernd is wiser than Gavin and is capable of overlooking flaws and avoiding arguments, but Gavin has a hard time accepting Cernd for what he is.

Edwin: It's about what you'd expect. Their banter is funnier if they knew each other in BG1.

Haer'Dalis: Gavin doesn't like Haer'Dalis courting Aerie, but apart from that, they get along well enough. Haer'Dalis is entertaining, and Gavin is easily amused.

Imoen: They got along well in BG1 and they get along well in BG2. He won't like leaving Imoen behind. Just so you know.

Jaheira: Their relationship is difficult, to say the least. Like with Cernd, they have a lot in common, and it irritates both of them. This doesn't mean that they don't like each other, though, it's just that they both have a hard time respecting the other.

Jan: They have some funny banters (or at least I hope they are). Gavin is amused by Jan, and there are very few people that Jan doesn't like. He'll needle Gavin as much as he needles everyone else, but that's just how Jan is, and Gavin is pretty amused by it anyway, so no harm done.

Keldorn: They're both grown men who serve the cause of right. They get along fine. OK, there are times when Keldorn finds Gavin's vices to be a bit of a turn-off, and Gavin doesn't approve of Keldorn's racism, but for the most part, they play nice.

Korgan: Korgan is foul, loud-mouthed, crude, and has no concept of propriety. Gavin has no problem with that. There are times when Gavin might object to Korgan's brutality, but for the most part, they get along fine.

Mazzy: Gavin likes her and she likes him well enough. They have a friendly relationship, for the most part.

Minsc: They're both down-to-earth men who like to have a good time. If they had met as children, they probably would have been inseparable friends and they probably would have gotten themselves into a good deal of trouble. As adults, their banters are jovial and entertaining, but don't go looking for deep meaningful dialogues because there aren't any.

Nalia: She reminds him of Skie, so that predisposes him to like her in a vaguely paternal way, despite his initial comments about her immaturity. They would both like to change the world, but Gavin understands that problems can't be solved by throwing money at them. So once their initial awkwardness is past, they'll get along just fine.

Valygar: They don't really have much to say to each other. They get along alright, but Valygar isn't the kind of person to get too close to anyone. Gavin is concerned about Valygar's lack of a patron deity, though.

Viconia: He hates her and she has no use for him. They don't talk much.

Yoshimo: Gavin hasn't got a problem with thieves, and Yoshimo is an engaging fellow. They get along fine. Yes, I know, Gavin doesn't like bounty hunters, but Gavin can't see Yoshimo's character sheet, and Yoshimo never mentions it himself. So for all Gavin knows, Yoshimo is a particularly well-traveled burglar. What a pity that Gavin has no head for sake...

If you've got a male PC, Gavin will have a short romantic arc with Imoen. It doesn't go anywhere in SoA, but they have a lot of banters, for whatever time they're in the party together. If you've got a female PC, this won't happen. If he isn't interested in the PC, he won't be interested in Imoen, either.

Oh, that's a huge help! Romantic arc with Imoen? I'm remembering Kelsey and what I did to him in ToB when he tried that... :down:

That is precisely why Gavin won't go near Imoen if the PC is female. I realize perfectly well that all male NPCs are the property of <CHARNAME>, even if their services are not required at the moment. :p

Not a lot of progress at the moment. I had two prior obligations to clear up first. One was to get the Sand Flirt Pack done. That's in testing at the moment, so it doesn't really take up a lot of my time anymore. The other is a secret, but it is rapidly nearing completion. I expect to have it in testing by Sunday.

I expect to resume work on the ToB portion of Gavin (and Haldamir) toward the end of next week. I'll post a progress report then. :suspect:

Aw, now I feel guilty for not giving a progress report.

All ToB NPC/NPC banters are written, coded, and tested. The situational PC dialogues are outlined. I've got a few interjections written, coded and tested, but I'm nowhere near done there. The Gavin/Imoen NPC/NPC romance is written, coded and tested.

The one and only time I actually played ToB was back in 2006, so I needed to refresh my memory before attempting to write any of the actual PC dialogues. I wrote the NP/NPC banters and NPC/NPC romance first so that I would have something to do while playing through ToB.

ToB is shorter than SoA, and I'll only have two paths this time, friendship or romance, not four, so I don't expect the PC dialogues to take anywhere near as long as they did for SoA. That said, I will be writing the ToB portion of 2 other mods simultaneously. Fortunately, I write fast. :suspect:

I'm afraid that it's going to take me more than a week or two to get the ToB portion done. I've got a solid chunk of the friendship portion written, coded, and tested, but I'm a long way from finished. The delay is due to another mod; the SoA portion of that is in testing at the moment and progress is good. I was hoping to work on the ToB portion of all three mods at the same time so that I could avoid having to deal with ToB more than once.

I'm looking to have the ToB portion of Gavin, Haldamir, and the other mod in testing around the middle of July, but that's probably longer than you're willing to wait. Thanks for offering, though! If it turns out that you're still interested when I put out a call for testers, I'd be very grateful for your help. :suspect:

Archived