Component suggestion: unnerfed missile weapons and ammo

aVENGER_(RR)

While creating Composite Shortbows for RR, I noticed that Bioware designers apparently left out the damage bonus on enchanted bows and arrows in BG2. The strange thing is, this bonus appears to have been deliberately removed, as it was present in both BG1 and IWD1 which was in accordance to PnP rules (see 2E AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide: List of Magical Weapons subsection).

Personally, I'd like to see this rectified as ranged weapons are fairly weak in BG2, unless you are playing the Archer kit.

I don't remember how it was in vanilla but i've modified both arrows and bow.

I would suggest the following:

- enchantment bonus on bows only affect THAC0 and Speed Factor

- enchantment bonus on arrows affect THAC0 and Damage

I always thought that stacking damage would result in too high values with composite bows...but i've been wrong before.

Yes, several subcomponents with different approaches wold be nice, if Cam's willing tpo code it of course. :)

For the record, in 2E AD&D, bow and missile enchantment applies to both attack and damage rolls and the bonuses stack if they are present both on the missile and the launcher. So, in PnP, a +2 Arrow fired from a +1 Shortbow would have a +3 bonus to hit and deal 1d6+3 damage.

Yes, several subcomponents with different approaches wold be nice, if Cam's willing tpo code it of course. :)
I think he's previously said things like this have a better chance of making it in if delivered pre-coded (though he also just said Tweaks has sunk down his priority list after the last release). In Tutu, the bows have the bonus since they were cloned from the BG1 versions.

actually, BG1->BG2 also nerfed Fire Arrows, Ice Arrows, and Acid Arrows.

BG1, the elemental damage for fire and ice was 1d6 (nerfed to 1d2), 2d6 for acid (nerfed to 1d3).

Oddly, Biting, Piercing and Explosion arrows were not nerfed.

Archived