Pen and Paper tweaks Component

WizWom

' date='Dec 11 2007, 04:00 PM' post='107573']Anyway, how about an optional component called the "PnP Fixpack" or something? It would be completely separate from Core Fixes and would yet resolve some gaping inconsistencies between BG2 and PnP such as skeletons having brains, minor globes being über spells, thieves being lame at dual-wielding and such?

So, let's get this started with a bullet list:

* Spells - many spells are very different than PnP (ostensibly for game balance)

* Movement - annoying that having plate mail doesn't slow you at all

* Encumbrance - doesn't match the PnP

* Classes - things range from major to minor

* Monsters - all at max HP, many have extra or missing abilities

Some Spells I can think of:

Dispel Magic - doesn't dispel everything (Stoneskin, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, etc.)

Animal/Monster summoning - create creatures, rather than summon

Animate Dead - always makes skeleton types; fresh corpses should be zombies

Charm - should give another saving throw if attacked by charmer or made to do something "against their nature" - Paladin attacking friends, for instance.

Movement:

Halflings & Gnomes should have a base move of 9"

Dwarves should have a base move of 6"

Plate mail should reduce movement 50%

Scale, chain or banded mail should reduce movement 25%

So, a dwarf in plate mail should move 3" - 25% of the speed of an unarmored human.

Encumbrance:

The table is just a bit off. Nothing major.

Dispel Magic - doesn't dispel everything (Stoneskin, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, etc.)

Animate Dead - always makes skeleton types; fresh corpses should be zombies

Done in my upcoming mod. :)
Animal/Monster summoning - create creatures, rather than summon
Why? It's called "summoning". For which purpose? Being immune to Death Spell isn't recommended imo.
Charm - should give another saving throw if attacked by charmer or made to do something "against their nature
Could be done i think...even if the spell it's already weak imo. Something that can really make this spell shine has been done recently: making charmed creature able to talk and react as charmed! It has outstanding role playing value imo.

Done in another upcoming mod of mine. :) But i've opted to -30% for Full Plate Mail, -20% for Plate/Splinted Mail and -10% for Chain Mail. Anyway 50% is surely too much...just think at how slowed characters moves...unbearable in some situation (Underdark's quests comes to mind).

There's a thread about it...vanilla (Minor) Globe of Invulnerability descriptions didn't match how they performed. The descriptions say that a succesful dispel magic remove them but it actually doesn't. I think Fix Pack will correct the description and leave the Globe undispellable but i don't know if it's already archived or not.

This belongs in tweak packs forum, or Demivrgvs can take over with his mods. We're not planning this for the fixpack (optional or otherwise).

Well, some it might be tweaks, but others are fix.

Setting the movement rates for Dwarves, Halflings and Gnomes might be seen as a fix for something Bioware neglected; the same with having (unenchanted) armor slow the character. It's something that was integral to PnP that gives the game a decidely different flavor.

And perhaps I wasn't clear - currently, summoning creates the creatures, it doesn't send out a call throughout the dungeon. So the creature is right there, ready to battle immediately (wrong) and is whatever the spell creates (wrong). But the only way I can think of to make it work RIGHT is to have a nasty big script, run by an invisible creature, which checks for exists([ANIMAL]) HDLT(//casting leve//) and then ActionOverrides it to come to the caster and charms it when it hits sight range (so that it doesn't just agg the nearest mob and/or tow every mob back to the party on it's trip)

But, before I go on... Spell description:

With the casting of this spell, the wizard summons a random selection of 3 HD monsters. There is a 60% chance of receiving one monster and a 40% chance of receiving two monsters. The monster(s) appear within spell range and attack the spellcaster's opponents until the spell duration expires or until they are slain.

Which is the way it works, except for the word "summons" which does not mean "create out of nothing".

Done in another upcoming mod of mine. :) But i've opted to -30% for Full Plate Mail, -20% for Plate/Splinted Mail and -10% for Chain Mail. Anyway 50% is surely too much...just think at how slowed characters moves...unbearable in some situation (Underdark's quests comes to mind).

Your inconvenience is not the issue: the issue is what happens in PnP D&D.

Which most assuredly is 6" move for plate mail.

Alternatively, one could say the 6" move for plate mail only slows someone to that, that is a dwarf in a dwarf in his birthday suit moves 6", plate mail moves 6", a dwarf in plate mail still moves 6"; thus a Halfling or Gnome would move 9" with or without armor as heavy as chain.

Archived