Detectable spells (again)

DavidW

Hmm, just noticed something odd - after applying the latest version of DS to a clean install (unmodded game) I ended up with 4000+ files in my override folder without using the "label_weapons" macro. After some investigation, it appears that the "Completely clean out any previous version of DS" block of DS.tph copies all existing item files into the override folder, whether there is an older version of DS present or not. If I comment out that block the number of files in my override folder drops to a more acceptable 1500+ as was the case with your previous version of DS (the one from SCSII v4).

Since I generally try to avoid cluttering the override folder, I was wondering whether this is intended or not?

Hmm, just noticed something odd - after applying the latest version of DS to a clean install (unmodded game) I ended up with 4000+ files in my override folder without using the "label_weapons" macro. After some investigation, it appears that the "Completely clean out any previous version of DS" block of DS.tph copies all existing item files into the override folder, whether there is an older version of DS present or not. If I comment out that block the number of files in my override folder drops to a more acceptable 1500+ as was the case with your previous version of DS (the one from SCSII v4).

Since I generally try to avoid cluttering the override folder, I was wondering whether this is intended or not?

Not. It's a missing BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES. New version uploaded (or rather: will be in two minutes!) Thanks for the catch.

(In case it's not obvious, the version of DS I put up here tends to be a use-at-own-risk version - it's tested, but not as thoroughly as I'd test a released mod.)

Cheers!

And for the record, I'm mighty thankful to have your modern, patch-friendly version of DS at my disposal. :thumbsup: An occasional glitch isn't going to be that much of a problem since I know that it can be easily corrected as the package is being regularly maintained and updated. That said, perhaps it might be a good idea to establish a dedicated "Detectable Spells" forum here on G3 if we're aiming for a standardized distribution package?

Another slight update. This one doesn't affect the main DS package at all, only the back-conversion package (the macro in DS_oldscript.tph). It's now modular: it can be called multiple times for multiple different mods.

The motivation for this is to allow the Ascension mod to be updated to the new DS without "double-counting", that is without the oldscript-fixer trying to fix already-fixed bugs and possibly introducing new problems along the way.

One more slight update: the label_weapons macro now checks for its own presence and doesn't reinstall if it finds itself. I've also commented it out of the sample .tp2 so people who install blind don't get label_weapons (at the moment I don't think any mod but SCSII uses it).

I think the core package is pretty stable; these last couple of edits have been "friends-of-DS" edits, not edits to the core package.

What is the difference between LEVELDRAIN and LEVELDRAIN_WRONG? I ask because BP uses several bafs with LEVELDRAIN which now show parse errors upon install since I incorporated DS ino my revamped version of Ascension that is installed prior to BP. Will those bafs still work now if they are changed to reflect LEVELDRAIN_WRONG instead of LEVELDRAIN? The ones in particular are BADDEVA.BAF, BADPLAN.BAF, and BPALLY.BAF

To my shame, I'm not sure... that part of DS was incorporated verbatim from the Wiki version. I'll have a look when I get a chance.

I think itll be ok. I ran the latest version with Ascension and with it installed, it left LEVELDRAIN alone, only relocated it from 134 to 200.

1   MAXHITPOINTS
2   ARMORCLASS
3   ACCRUSHINGMOD
4   ACMISSILEMOD
5   ACPIERCINGMOD
6   ACSLASHINGMOD
7   THAC0
8   NUMBEROFATTACKS
9   SAVEVSDEATH
10   SAVEVSWANDS
11   SAVEVSPOLY
12   SAVEVSBREATH
13   SAVEVSSPELL
14   RESISTFIRE
15   RESISTCOLD
16   RESISTELECTRICITY
17   RESISTACID
18   RESISTMAGIC
19   RESISTMAGICFIRE
20   RESISTMAGICCOLD
21   RESISTSLASHING
22   RESISTCRUSHING
23   RESISTPIERCING
24   RESISTMISSILE
25   LORE
26   LOCKPICKING
27   STEALTH
28   TRAPS
29   PICKPOCKET
30   FATIGUE
31   INTOXICATION
32   LUCK
33   TRACKING
34   LEVEL
35   SEX
36   STR
37   STREXTRA
38   INT
39   WIS
40   DEX
41   CON
42   CHR
43   XPVALUE
44   XP
45   GOLD
46   MORALEBREAK
47   MORALERECOVERYTIME
48   REPUTATION
49   HATEDRACE
50   DAMAGEBONUS
51   SPELLFAILUREMAGE
52   SPELLFAILUREPRIEST
53   SPELLDURATIONMODMAGE
54   SPELLDURATIONMODPRIEST
55   TURNUNDEADLEVEL
56   BACKSTABDAMAGEMULTIPLIER
57   LAYONHANDSAMOUNT
58   HELD
59   POLYMORPHED
60   TRANSLUCENT
61   IDENTIFYMODE
62   ENTANGLE
63   SANCTUARY
64   MINORGLOBE
65   SHIELDGLOBE
66   GREASE
67   WEB
68   LEVEL2
69   LEVEL3
70   CasterHold
71   ENCUMBERANCE
72   MISSILETHAC0BONUS
73   MAGICDAMAGERESISTANCE
74   RESISTPOISON
75   DONOTJUMP
76   AURACLEANSING
77   MENTALSPEED
78   PHYSICALSPEED
79   CASTINGLEVELBONUSMAGE
80   CASTINGLEVELBONUSCLERIC
81   SEEINVISIBLE
82   IGNOREDIALOGPAUSE
83   MINHITPOINTS
84   THAC0BONUSRIGHT
85   THAC0BONUSLEFT
86   DAMAGEBONUSRIGHT
87   DAMAGEBONUSLEFT
88   STONESKINS
89   PROFICIENCYBASTARDSWORD
90   PROFICIENCYLONGSWORD
91   PROFICIENCYSHORTSWORD
92   PROFICIENCYAXE
93   PROFICIENCYTWOHANDEDSWORD
94   PROFICIENCYKATANA
95   PROFICIENCYSCIMITARWAKISASHININJATO
96   PROFICIENCYDAGGER
97   PROFICIENCYWARHAMMER
98   PROFICIENCYSPEAR
99   PROFICIENCYHALBERD
100   PROFICIENCYFLAILMORNINGSTAR
101   PROFICIENCYMACE
102   PROFICIENCYQUARTERSTAFF
103   PROFICIENCYCROSSBOW
104   PROFICIENCYLONGBOW
105   PROFICIENCYSHORTBOW
106   PROFICIENCYDART
107   PROFICIENCYSLING
108   PROFICIENCYBLACKJACK
109   CLERIC_HALLOW
110   CLERIC_ARMOR_OF_FAITH
111   PROFICIENCY2HANDED
112   PROFICIENCYSWORDANDSHIELD
113   PROFICIENCYSINGLEWEAPON
114   PROFICIENCY2WEAPON
115   EXTRAPROFICIENCY1
116   WIZARD_SPELL_DEFLECTION
117   PROTECTION_FROM_EVIL
118   TRUE_SIGHT
119   CLERIC_CHAOTIC_COMMANDS
120   CLERIC_INSECT_PLAGUE
121   CLERIC_BLADE_BARRIER
122   CLERIC_PHYSICAL_MIRROR
123   CLERIC_SHIELD_OF_THE_ARCHONS
124   CLERIC_REGENERATION
125   WIZARD_FIRE_SHIELD
126   WIZARD_PROTECTION_FROM_MAGIC_ENERGY
127   WIZARD_MISLEAD
128   WIZARD_PROTECTION_FROM_MAGIC_WEAPONS
129   WIZARD_SPELL_TURNING
130   WIZARD_PROTECTION_FROM_THE_ELEMENTS
131   CLERIC_FREE_ACTION
132   WIZARD_KHELBENS_WARDING_WHIP
133   CLERIC_DEFENSIVE_HARMONY
135   HIDEINSHADOWS
136   DETECTILLUSIONS
137   SETTRAPS
138   PUPPETMASTERID
139   PUPPETMASTERTYPE
140   PUPPETTYPE
141   PUPPETID
142   CHECKFORBERSERK
143   BERSERKSTAGE1
144   BERSERKSTAGE2
145   DAMAGELUCK
146   CRITICALHITBONUS
147   VISUALRANGE
148   EXPLORE
149   THRULLCHARM
150   SUMMONDISABLE
151   HITBONUS
152   KIT
153   FORCESURGE
154   SURGEMOD
155   IMPROVEDHASTE
156   SCRIPTINGSTATE1
157   SCRIPTINGSTATE2
158   SCRIPTINGSTATE3
159   SCRIPTINGSTATE4
160   SCRIPTINGSTATE5
161   SCRIPTINGSTATE6
162   WIZARD_SPELL_IMMUNITY
163   WIZARD_PROTECTION_FROM_ENERGY
164   WIZARD_SPELL_TRAP
165   WIZARD_IMPROVED_ALACRITY
166   DMWW_SLOT_166
167   DMWW_SLOT_167
168   DMWW_SLOT_168
169   DMWW_SLOT_169
170   DMWW_SLOT_170
171   DMWW_SLOT_171
172   DMWW_SLOT_172
173   DMWW_SLOT_173
174   DMWW_SLOT_174
175   DMWW_SLOT_175
176   WIZARD_PROTECTION_FROM_PETRIFICATION
177   WIZARD_SPELL_SHIELD
178   WIZARD_RESIST_FEAR
179   WIZARD_PROTECTION_FROM_NORMAL_MISSILES
180   WIZARD_GREATER_MALISON
181   WIZARD_PROTECTION_FROM_NORMAL_WEAPONS
182   WIZARD_TENSERS_TRANSFORMATION
183   DMWW_SLOT_183
184   DMWW_SLOT_184
185   DMWW_SLOT_185
186   DMWW_SLOT_186
187   DMWW_SLOT_187
199   STONESKINSGOLEM
200   LEVELDRAIN

What is the difference between LEVELDRAIN and LEVELDRAIN_WRONG? I ask because BP uses several bafs with LEVELDRAIN which now show parse errors upon install since I incorporated DS ino my revamped version of Ascension that is installed prior to BP. Will those bafs still work now if they are changed to reflect LEVELDRAIN_WRONG instead of LEVELDRAIN? The ones in particular are BADDEVA.BAF, BADPLAN.BAF, and BPALLY.BAF

As I recall, the developers added a LEVELDRAIN stat (200?), but it was determined that it didn't work, so Horred added his own.

(i) a new run-once-only component strips out any old version of DS (such as the one you get if you install Ascension)

© new macro shipped with Detectable Spells: this one converts any script on a pre-included list from the Ascension version of DS to this version. At the moment, that pre-included list includes everything in Ascension and Kelsey.

Would you be willing to do for Oversight what you did for Ascension and Kelsey?

Since your version of DS already removes and replaces the older version of DS included with Oversight, the primary effort to achieve compatibility would be (I think) an addition to the conversion macro to update any relevant Oversight scripts (Tougher Sendai, possibly others) to the new version of DS.

Ascension and Oversight are the first two mods I install every fresh start, and I'd reeeaaalllllly appreciate it if your new DS (and SCSII, too) played nicely with Oversight. :laugh:

aWL

(i) a new run-once-only component strips out any old version of DS (such as the one you get if you install Ascension)

© new macro shipped with Detectable Spells: this one converts any script on a pre-included list from the Ascension version of DS to this version. At the moment, that pre-included list includes everything in Ascension and Kelsey.

Would you be willing to do for Oversight what you did for Ascension and Kelsey?

Since your version of DS already removes and replaces the older version of DS included with Oversight, the primary effort to achieve compatibility would be (I think) an addition to the conversion macro to update any relevant Oversight scripts (Tougher Sendai, possibly others) to the new version of DS.

Ascension and Oversight are the first two mods I install every fresh start, and I'd reeeaaalllllly appreciate it if your new DS (and SCSII, too) played nicely with Oversight. :laugh:

aWL

IIRC, there's no need: the version of DS that ships with Oversight is compatible with the latest version (i.e., uses the same STATS.IDS).

Of course, I recommend SCSII's Sendai over Oversights, but then I would!

IIRC, there's no need: the version of DS that ships with Oversight is compatible with the latest version (i.e., uses the same STATS.IDS).

Sweet! I recall reading something (probably on your SCSII forum) about DS/SCSII not being compatible with Oversight. Perhaps that was a reference to an earlier version, or just crossed wires in my head. Whatever the case, I'm glad to be wrong!

Thanks for the quick reply, too. I was afraid I might be running headlong into glitchy AI by running both. :laugh:

aWL

You are sure about that, right?

Oversight is designed for compatibility with Ascension (one of its main components is essentially an Ascension add-on).

Unless Oversight does some under-the-hood modifications to Ascension, how can Oversight use a different version of DS without mucking up Ascension's scripts?

I'm not suggesting that you're wrong (heck, you're better at scripting than I am); I'm just a bit confused on this. I've only toyed around with DS in some basic spell-wars scripts. Enlightenment would be appreciated. :laugh:

aWL

You are sure about that, right?

No, not sure at all. Oversight uses a bastardised half-old, half-new DS and I'm not sure at all exactly how well it works.

I've noticed a couple of minor changes in the latest Detectable Spells package which ships with SCSII v6 (mostly SPWISH17.SPL related stuff).

David, could you update the stand-alone package and possibly clarify the changes a bit further? Thanks in advance! :crazyeyes:

Archived