Good Old BG

Boontaker

Hey G3, I would like to know what would be some good (and relativly simple to install) mods that would spice up my BG exp. I have had BG since its release and BG2 for awhile now, I want to play the game again but I wanted to know if you guys have any mods you would recommend

Thanks for any help :)

Guest Guest_temujin_*

easytutu (with txtmusic), bg1 unfinished business, sword coast stratagems, bg1npc, and bg2 tweakpack (works for bg1 as well). they are all good

Previous poster pretty much covered BG1. For BG2 (apart from obvious fixes/tweaks) I'd suggest Dingo Questpack, One Pixel Productions mod and some NPC's (Xan, Kivan, Amber, brand new Angelo seems to be great as well). Throne of Bhaal vanilla is quite weak expansion but The Longer Road along with Ascension make it really worthy conclusion imo.

Sorry for double post but maybe I should add some more suggestions for BG2.

If you'd like some changes in character class developement, you should look at Refinements and Rogue Rebalancing (its Cyric encounter is the most atmospheric battle in the whole saga imo, maybe I wouldn't install its Shadow Thieves component though - it's too hard to beat).

In addition, you can't go wrong with G3 Anniversary, Dungeon Crawl and Romantic Encounters - those mods add lots of (mostly light-hearted) ambience to the game and all are just great fun.

Oh, and I almost forgot Keto who is also a really great NPC and conclusion of her quest is one of the most ambitious sequences introduced by mods.

If you're gonna play with more NPC mods, install Crossmod Banter Pack also.

Again, I'm sorry for double post, but I wouldn't sleep well if I left all of those :)

For install order consult the readmes, but generally fixes go first,quest mods and npc mods (with crossmod banter pack last) second , and tweaks last.

Happy gating!

If you just want to play plain BG1 (without Tutu or BGT), you have:

Baldurdash

Dudleyfix/Dudleytweak

BWL Herbs & Potions

BG1 Mini-Quests & Encounters

CoM BG1 Adventure/Forge

The Vault

BG1 Unfinished Business

Maybe a few others. You have more options with Tutu (see the mod list in my sig).

WoW, there are alot of mods out there lol. ill try some basic ones that are just unzipp/install before I try weidu(SP?) stuff

Also if you guys know of any spell mods that are great those would be nice, I'd like to try a mage or wild mage(tutu is coooool) this time around, although that can be really hard lol (darn kobolds and those arrows)

ill try some basic ones that are just unzipp/install before I try weidu(SP?) stuff
That is the way to go if you just want to start with BG1. Once you move on to EasyTutu, you want to use WeiDU mods for everything (as it will overwrite any non-WeiDU mods, so don't bother).
Also if you guys know of any spell mods that are great those would be nice, I'd like to try a mage or wild mage(tutu is coooool) this time around, although that can be really hard lol (darn kobolds and those arrows)
Dunno about any for plain BG1, but for Tutu you might try:

Wild Mage Additions

Geomantic Sorcerer

WeiDU is an auto-installer and more importantly, an uninstaller for mods. You don't need to install it as it's packaged with WeiDU mods (anything called setup-blahblah.exe is WeiDU in disguise). You can't really uninstall non-WeiDU mods (.tbg or .iap usually). Not easily anyhow.

Oh, and I forgot Dark Side of the Sword Coast and Fields of the Dead - two reasons to play BG1 without Tutu as there are no Tutu versions yet (*grumbles something about having to get caught up on DS-Tutu proofing*). But they're both big (I mean big) mods, so you might not want to install them your first run through with other mods.

It should say in the readme, but the main way is like I said - WeiDU mods will have a setup-mymod.exe installer (or a custom installer) that'll launch a command (DOS) window and ask you some questions.

Non-WeiDU mods either have a custom installer that doesn't launch a command window or you have to import them via some other tool like IEEP. Of the list I gave, only Baldurdash and Dudley are non-WeiDU I think. A lot of older item mods are too.

Oh and so is BG1 Ease-of-Use - another one I forgot. If you're using Tutu, the same stuff should be in BG2 Tweaks available on this site.

There are a few mods for BG1, more for Tutu, and even more for BGT. Check the links page for easy access to these sites:

Chosen of Mystra - Dark Side of the Sword Coast, CoM Forge

Blackwyrm Lair - Drizzt Saga, Herbs and Potions

Pocket Plane Group - BG1 Unfinished Business, Fields of the Dead, BG1 Tutu

Spellhold Studios - Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BGT), with several BGT mods for the BG1 portion

These sites have the best mod selections, IMO.

If you want to play BG1 in the BG2 engine, Tutu and BGT are nice. The major difference is how they handle the story. Tutu is the most faithful to the original game, though must be uninstalled to play BG2. BGT takes some liberties to create a more cohesive story, creating a single saga. Make sure you check their forums before you install them, however, for any required patches or compatability issues.

BG1 Ease of Use is a nice addition to BG1, but it dumps files directly into the game's Override folder rather than patching them as has become the standard in WeiDU modding now. I've created a much larger BG1 tweak pack based on patching, but it's still in testing and waiting for Cam's special touch. The only thing it doesn't have is a Bag of Holding Component (come up with anything yet, Miloch? :) )

If you use Tutu or BGT, then the BG2 Tweak Pack will work fine. And BGT has it's own tweak pack as well, which can add non-magic armor and shield breakage...

I think I'll shut up now, now that I've just given you an information overload... :)

Tutu is the most faithful to the original game, though must be uninstalled to play BG2.
Not true if you use EasyTutu, which is a separate install from BG1 or BG2 (and if you have an English game, there's no reason to use the normal Tutu).
The only thing it doesn't have is a Bag of Holding Component (come up with anything yet, Miloch? :) )
There's one in BG1 Ease-of-Use, linked above.

Edit: Buggered link fixed.

Archived