A duplicate of yourself

WizWom

Various discussions in this thread about Simulacrums lead me to want to explore the idea of making a "familiar" simulacrum.

Some interesting things:

• AddFamiliar() Clears CLASS, RACE and sets the GENERAL script to WTASIGHT
  • Setting CLASS via ChangeClass doesn't for some reason, show properly on a character screen
  • JoinParty sets Dialog to DEFAULT if there is no Dialog witht eh death variable name
  • JoinParty sets the DEFAULT script to DPLAYER2
  • Simulacrum's Project Image effect doesn't lower the level at all, it just applies a Level Drain after creation.

Starting from a .CRE file (not a project image) to get the scripting working, I got it set up to properly and allowed a HotKey(E) to bring the creature into the party for one round (so that you can equip it).

So, the next step is a 9th level spell, Familiar Duplicate, which will

1. create a project image, which is permanent/nondispellable
  2. Start an invisible creature, to

1. set the script for the COPY
    2. rename the copy to a new script name, WXDUP?
    3. Lower the XP, levels, thieving skills, THAC0, etc. (to 1st level?)
    4. Clear the dup's spell book, perhaps?
    5. Destroy all the Dup's equiptment

Sounds pretty cool. I would imagine having yourself as a familiar would be a little weird but the usefulness can't be denied.

How are you going to handle levels? Should mages wait right until the end of the game before casting it so they get the highest-level familiar possible?

Sounds pretty cool. I would imagine having yourself as a familiar would be a little weird but the usefulness can't be denied.

How are you going to handle levels? Should mages wait right until the end of the game before casting it so they get the highest-level familiar possible?

I have code to give the Familiar half the exp of the PC, and that code continues to be checked through the game (the blocks are bigger and bigger as the XP climbs higher, starting at 25K blocks). Then, when the Familiar is in the party (hotkey "E") you can level it up, choose spells, and equip items. The familiar will automatically exit the party at the end of the round.

er, let me test that. I suspect you are right.

OK - using the join script with 5 NPCs already brings up the "Remove a party member" selection. Then, you can select a party member to tell to go, they will be taken off the list, and you then can pause, and equip and level up the copy. Unpausing, the copy will leave the party very quickly, and your removed party member will ask if you really want them to go. Say no, and they go back into the party, no harm. Very elegant, actually.

Is it possible to change death variable?

I'm exploring out-of-bounds use of the change stat effect. It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work.

Right now, though, I'm getting inconsistent application of my Override script change, which starts the whole ball of wax going. Oddly, the code takes effect only after a save/load sequence.

Doh - of course, the Simulacrum gets SIMULACR.SPL applied to it, to set the colors, I just need to make that spell set the simulacrum AI script, and then have some way to have a difference between a simulacrum and a duplication spell

Archived