Aldeth bug report

CamDawg

From over at SP:

Good day to you all! I seem to have run across a slight problem lately on my latest EasyTutu runthrough, and I came here in the vague hopes of having a proper answer to my query.

First and foremost... my party is currently in the Cloakwood, and upon encountering Aldeth, decided to give him a hand with his druid problem. Normally, the battle is rather straightforward: a few slashes here and there and the Shadow Druids are no more. However, one of my mods (Sword Coast Stratagem) seems to render that battle substantially tougher -- namely, the apprentices are potent casters now, and Seniyad shapeshifts into a bear when he drops below 50% of his health...

Now, the problem arises when I dispatch Seniyad and his apprentices. When any of my party members try to talk to Aldeth again, however, he has nothing to say. He spouts his voiced line, but there's no dialogue box where he thanks me for saving his city posterior from these vile treehuggers. Basically, I cannot complete the quest (and I suspect I won't have access to the continuation once I reach Baldur's Gate).

However, I am not certain if the issue stems from the fact Seniyad shapeshifts during the battle and the kill is therefore not recognized by Aldeth. That's just my gut feeling.

My currently installed mods are:

Tutufix

BG2 Tweaks

Sword Coast Stratagems

Any thoughts? It's not a completely gamebreaking issue, but I would like to be able to complete that quest (and all subsequent ones in the future pertaining to Aldeth).

After a thorough in-game search, I've managed to work around the problem. For anyone else who may have had the same problem with Sword Coast Stratagem (or to facilitate the search in case it crops up again), here's the solution:

Apparently, if he shapeshifts, you may have a problem talking back to Aldeth once the druid is brought down to justice. To avoid this... instead of just wailing at Seniyad to bring his health down slowly, a Dispel Magic (or similar spell) that takes down his protections will allow you to strike quickly past his defenses and quite possibly take him down without incurring Aldeth's speechlessness (you have to be quick, though, because if he shapeshifts, you're out of luck). :band:

I'm guessing the bear form doesn't increment "KilledDruids" on death?

I'm guessing the bear form doesn't increment "KilledDruids" on death?

Looks like it. Thanks, I'll add it to the (increasingly daunting) SCS to-do list.

I'm sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm having this exact problem.

I'm running Easytutu with SCS and no other mods (I'm using Tales of the Sword Coast and TOB, if that makes any difference). However, I never noticed Seniyad shapeshifting and I've managed to kill him several times before he got his first spell off. Still, Aldeth won't speak to me.

Another strange thing about this encounter is that the druids that show up with Seniyad don't turn hostile. I have to force attack them to kill them.

Anyway, I considered uninstalling SCS to get past this, and then re-installing. Would this be at all possible (if not recommended)? If so, how do I uninstall? The readme mentions that v8 can be uninstalled (although it doesn't mention how), so I assume it's possible to uninstall v9 as well?

I'm running Easytutu with SCS and no other mods (I'm using Tales of the Sword Coast and TOB, if that makes any difference). However, I never noticed Seniyad shapeshifting and I've managed to kill him several times before he got his first spell off. Still, Aldeth won't speak to me.

Another strange thing about this encounter is that the druids that show up with Seniyad don't turn hostile. I have to force attack them to kill them.

Anyway, I considered uninstalling SCS to get past this, and then re-installing. Would this be at all possible (if not recommended)? If so, how do I uninstall? The readme mentions that v8 can be uninstalled (although it doesn't mention how), so I assume it's possible to uninstall v9 as well?

I'm using BGT, SCS (and several other mods) and am having the same issue - Aldeth says, "I don't think I have anything to say to you! Why don't you leave me be!" The three accompanying druids don't turn hostile either, and even remain at their spawn points rather than walking up with Seniyad. Finally, Aldeth didn't take join in the battle, which I seem to recall he did in BG1.

It appears that while Seniyad increments the KilledDruids global, the nameless ones don't, as KilledDruids increased to 1 after Seniyad died, but didn't change when the lackeys did.

To fix it, I simply set KilledDruids to 4 after killing them:

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("KilledDruids","GLOBAL",4)

Guest i30817
I had the same problem in my current run.

Bump.

Aldeth is not spawning the druids, he only says:

"I don't think I have anything to say to you! Why don't you leave me be!"

It may be because i only remembered him after chapter 5 (BG open) started instead on during chapter 4.

Maybe a BG1 NPC bug?

Guest i30817

Seems original.

The spawn will not spawn if chapter is > 5 or numtimestalkedto > 0.

How can i reset the numtimestalkedto variable from the console?

Archived