Sweeney Todd

Vestrael

I saw this movie just a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely loved it. Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter were both perfect for their roles- I couldn't imagine anyone else playing those parts better than they did. He was as brooding and intraverted as she was vivacious and demanding, and he's so absorbed in his obsession with revenge that he never notices her affections. I never saw the on-stage version, so I don't know how it compares, but the movie is a very de-Broadwayized version, with no big dance numbers or anything, and the singing is more about expressing the characters' thoughts and feelings than showing off the actors' voices. (All of the leads have surprisingly good voices for never having sung before, though.) There is a lot of blood, but it looks kind of like red paint, and I didn't find it too bad.

...oh, and the costumes were wonderful- I wanted to steal just about all of their clothes.

Anyway, that's me gushing about Sweeney Todd. If anyone else, er, wants to say something, they... can. Yeah. :band:

I saw it on Sunday - it was great. Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter were actually good singers, which was a nice surprise. The supporting characters were spot on and of course the music was fantastic. My only big complaint was the CG blood at the beginning, which had a remarkable resemblance to paint mixed with cornflour. And there were some gorier bits when I had to look away, but that's to be expected!

I thought is was pretty good. Not a "feel good" movie, but it was well cast and beautifully shot. If you like other Burton films, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just don't take your kids with you. There is definitely gore.

Did they end up cutting all of Christopher Lee's part, or no? I'd heard an awful lot of key scenes ended up deferred until director's cut.

Huh. Now that you mention it, I'm not sure. I don't recall him being in the movie, and if he was, it was a very minor part. I'm gonna go with a very tentative "yes". :band:

In my area one can get bootleg copies of any film released within a few days.

IMO, the film is okay as I like Depp and Bonheim-Carter. But I've also seen on American PBS tv the play with George Hearn and Angela Langsbury in the lead. While This movie version is enjoyable, I sorely missed the opening theme from the Hearn/Langsbury version as well as a few of the minor songs by Todd's wife (the mad woman).

Oh, it was *great*. The singing fit in a lot better than I expected, it really felt a part of the movie and not this forced thing that just had to be done every so often.

I learned about it in my music appreciation class and was always interested in it, so I had to see it.

It freaked me out more than most horror movies.. I have this weird thing about razors, and many, many throats got it in this movie @.@

Saw it, finally. 100 out of 100 - absolutely, blissfully perfect.

(Funny thing: a few months ago we were going to Tarantino's latest, "Death Proof", and a friend of mine refused to go, because we expected it to be a horror movie in English. Instead, it was a black comedy of sorts, in Russian. Now, we were expecting to see a musical in Russian, so he agreed to go - but he got a horror movie in English. :laugh: )

Saw it, finally. 100 out of 100 - absolutely, blissfully perfect.

Perfect? That's a bit of an exaggeration. Good, yes, but the effects were overdone, the pacing was off, and... Ah, well, I'm too critical probably.

I absolutely loved the love song that Sweeney Todd sings to his razor. :laugh:

aWL

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sasha Baron Cohen. I'm not a big Borat fan, but I was absolutely blown away by his performance in Sweeney Todd. And the kid who played Toby, Edward Sanders... what a voice! Not to mention Timothy Spall as the Beadle. I always get excited when I see his name in the credits, because he is always awesome.

Archived