Is True Grandmastery overpowered in the early game?

Bursk

A recent topic on the gamebanshee forums suggested that using the True Grandmastery component and having a BG2 character with Grandmastery (e.g. Korgan) can be overpowered at the start of the game. Some of the people in this topic suggested that you should delay attaining 5* in a weapon until around level 18.

It was also mentioned that BG1 only allowed you to put a max of 2* in a single weapon during character generation (Tutu has no such restriction), presumably to stop a High/Grandmastery PC kicking ass too easily early on.

I'm very interested to hear some opinions on this, as I don't want to make the early parts of both games too easy.

However, it also occurred to me that surely the enemies you encouter will also benefit from True Grandmastery (please correct me if I'm wrong), so wouldn't this even things out?

In BG1, it was definitely overpowered. The BG2 designers nerfed it... while still powerful, I don't know if it's unreasonably overpowered. And AFAIK, no one's suggested adding the BG1-style grandmastery to the BG2 Tweak Pack (though maybe adding the reverse to the BG1 Tweak Pack would make sense). Edit: yes, it's already been lurking in BG2 Tweaks.

A lot of BG1 non-fighter CREs have 5 stars where they can't even legally have 2 in some cases, so yeah, it's also used against you.

(also, oddly enough, a faithful return to those PnP rules).
I must've missed whatever supplement detailed that. As I said in the other link, it's not in the PHB or DMG. Must've been in one of those Player's Option books (Combat & Tactics or Skills & Power or something).
That's the hoary True Grand Mastery component (also, oddly enough, a faithful return to those PnP rules).

I always install it automatically, since it does my heart good to see Anomen receive *something*, after he(sixteen levels later!) receives his Grand Mastery in hammers.

it does my heart good to see Anomen receive *something*, after he(sixteen levels later!) receives his Grand Mastery in hammers.
If the Multi-Class Grandmastery tweak also lets clerics or other non-fighters gain two stars (nevermind five stars) in *anything* (not counting stars gained from a previous fighter class), then it's an odd sort of cheat.

Kulyok, I too want to use the 'True Grandmastery' component of BG2 Tweaks so that there's a point to fighters putting 5* in a weapon. I think I may limit myself to getting this no sooner than level 12, just to make sure it's balanced.

I too want to use the 'True Grandmastery' component of BG2 Tweaks so that there's a point to fighters putting 5* in a weapon.
There is a point even without the tweak - you get a quicker speed factor and an extra point of damage. That may not sound like much, but when you stack all the other bonuses and consider the fact you're hitting more often, it's more than just an extra point.

What I'm wondering is whether the tweak removes the speed factor bonus (which AFAICT wasn't in the BG1 version) or if it lets the engine stack that on top of the BG1-style grandmastery. If the latter, then it definitely is powergamey. If it does nothing about it, then it's probably doing the latter.

I think I may limit myself to getting this no sooner than level 12, just to make sure it's balanced.
Not sure if this is implementable but it might be a reasonable balance.

Archived