Any interest in a Keldorn Expansion mod?

Guest Sephira

Domi, you know I love you with doubtless unhealthy enthusiasm, so please bear that in mind when I ask--please stop saying that. We know already, because you keep saying it in every other post.

JC, I am doing this because I feel that in a way I am cheating when I express some sort of an opinion on BG2 content, particulary on the proposed BG2 content. It's kind of weird. I still have an opinion, but I am not a potential player. So I want to make it very clear, especially if the thread is entitled "Is there interest in ABC piece of BG2 content." I guess, I will be able to transition out at some point and not bug people with my suggestions on BG1/2. :band:

Oh, believe me, I have realistic expectations on this. It seems like there's some sort of curse over all the Bioware NPCs (did somebody open a sarcophagus without reading the glyphs first?) that makes even the strongest starts sort of peter out after a while. I'm not going to sit here on my throne of pomposity and say that will absolutely, positively, conclusively never ever happen to me, but I'm going to give this mod my best shot, and hopefully the end result will be worth playing.

I keep telling myself the work load is actually less because it's a precreated character; I mean, he already has banters and interjections, right? But I know the fact of the matter means I'm in for more than one headache down the road, and the work is probably more, but hey. I'm doing this because it's something I wanted to, and right now, I'm enjoying doing it. I think if it was something I was forcing myself through anyway, the finished mod would look a lot like:

Keldorn: "CHARNAME, we have come a long way together, and I feel that . . . I have . . . feelings for you . . . ? Or something. Whatever. You know what, let's just go tip over some kobolds okay?"

It's funny though, I never really gave that much thought to the age. I suppose there'll be a certain amount of stigma attached to it (not just because of this, but man, is the Anomen conflict ever going to tickle me to write), and I'll need to address this to some degree because I'm sure it would be a concern to some of the party (or his Order), but I don't want to end up beating the player over the head with it. "He's so OLD. You love him, but he CREAKS when he WALKS. Cause he's OLD, but you have TRUE LOVE (tm!) anyway! . . . even though he's OLD. Geddit?!" I mean, my husband is ten years older than I am (I'm 24), and my sister-in-law is getting married to a guy she's been seeing for ten years who's fifteen years older. But, yes, I know, ><30 years is gonna make a difference. I once heard it said that 10 years is a bona fide generation gap.

As a slight aside, I'm not condemning Maria here in the mod itself for running off and having an affair. It's not something I would ever do (or a lot of people, I gather), but she, at least, feels she has a valid point. In the game, you'll have the opportunity to give her several varying opinions of herself, but keep in mind, if a person feels they've done right in their heart (what's best for them, ultimately) and if they've convinced themselves, you don't stand much of a chance of making them feel guilty. I'm sure she feels bad about it, but I don't think she's going to wind up in Silent Hill anytime soon.

JC - I disagree, as do many other women and men who have had to endure separation from spouses who have been stationed overseas for any length of time. Not everyone can face that kind of a life, but it's a good thing some can, or service men and chronic business travelers would have to do without spouses.

OK, less talk, more modwriting :band:

(neat idea - popping in from lunch - will read details later but if the writing goes well, teh code stuff people on several communities will willingly help with - just gotta start writing!!!)

Sorry to go OT, but Domi, does your decision (first I've heard of it, honest) mean that there'll never be any further updates on Kivan & D? Is there no point ever contacting you with bug reports or suggestions on improvements to the mod?

I don't think CHARNAME is 10, since Keldorn is in his 40s, or so I believed? Yes, 20 years is still a gap, but I just love the thought he falls for her without first noticing it himself because he thinks he is only a mentor. Awww..

(Don't make him 50. Please. He is not.)

Teehee. Yes, I'd originally intended for Keldorn to be in his early forties, although I don't plan on stating an age outright. If you want him older or younger, have at it -- some men gray early, after all.

But, as cmorgan says (SIR YES SIR! *clicks bootheels* :band: ), the time for talky-talk is past. I should put my money where my mouth is and get cracking. I'm going to slowly code the basic bits of dialogue as I go, since it'd be a pain to go back and code through everything when I was done. Besides, when I need help, "What am I doing wrong here?" sounds better than "DO IT ALL FOR MEEEEEE!"

Sorry to go OT, but Domi, does your decision (first I've heard of it, honest) mean that there'll never be any further updates on Kivan & D? Is there no point ever contacting you with bug reports or suggestions on improvements to the mod?

Argh, I will reply here, but if you (or anyone) need more details, please give me a buzz at the appropriate forum, okay?

I will fix the bugs as they come in. We are still gearing up to voice the mod, so if that comes to fruition there will be an updated version with the voice. I will cooperate (time permitting) on the corssmod (and, yep, I know, I owe texts to Sister V), and, again, crossmod can be done without my involvement. But I am not going to add anything new to the mod, or modify it. If against all odds LoI will actually move forward, then the guys can do the additions, it will be up to them. All other BG2 projects of mine are permanently cancelled (ie Midnight Visitor and Verda (though I think I managed not to talk about Verda in public, so no loss there.) All of my 'new' modding time now goes to NWN2.

Vesper looks and sounds like she's somewhere between 5 and 10, so he can't be that old. And Leona, his older daughter is probably in the 14-17 range. So I'd put Keldorn at 40. Besides, his epilogue says that he died when he was in his 60th year, and it sounds like that's far in the future.

I don't think CHARNAME is 10, since Keldorn is in his 40s, or so I believed? Yes, 20 years is still a gap, but I just love the thought he falls for her without first noticing it himself because he thinks he is only a mentor. Awww..

(Don't make him 50. Please. He is not.)

Well, I believe he is 53 or something because in the his Epilogue he died in 60 and said than only some years gone by

In my mod, I too don't mention his aging anywere.

And I'd like to say: don't forget he is the paladin and cannot be divorsed without serious and heavy reason.

Guest Guest_Amaurea_*
Keldorn Firecam thought his travels with marked the end of his

active career, both as an adventurer and in service to the Order. He retired

to Athkatla, hoping to live in as much peace as an old warrior can expect,

but the call to serve came one last time. It was years later, and Amn was

besieged by giants. In his 60th winter, Keldorn and five knights held a

strategic pass until the main Amnish force could arrive. He won the day, but

his wounds were severe and the old paladin fell on the battlefield. As his

knights watched, the hand of Torm descended upon the scene, and when it

departed, Keldorn was gone. From that day, visions of the True God were

accompanied by the stalwart ghostly form of Keldorn at his right hand.

That sounds quite a bit later to me.

Archived