If you install lots of mods and things slow down...

Ankhesenpaaten

can you just uninstall the last couple of mods and things will run right again?

Just in case this doesn't make sense what I mean is I have sometimes installed so many mods that my game runs slow or freezes during battles. I've now done a new install for the umpteenth time. Well now I see a couple new mods such as Banana! and Miriam that I want to try to add to my existing install but am afraid of the slowing/freezing thing. If this happens can I just remove them and things will be cool again with my current install or not?

Edit - I hope I asked this in the right place!

can you just uninstall the last couple of mods and things will run right again?

Just in case this doesn't make sense what I mean is I have sometimes installed so many mods that my game runs slow or freezes during battles. I've now done a new install for the umpteenth time. Well now I see a couple new mods such as Banana! and Miriam that I want to try to add to my existing install but am afraid of the slowing/freezing thing. If this happens can I just remove them and things will be cool again with my current install or not?

No, it doesn't work that way. There is a few things you can do.

1)Try to uninstall the mods that produce the lag, such as bottomless bag and other such mods that produce it, cause the script is run over and over every millisecond :band: .

2)The other thing you can do, is to reinstall and using(Warning! You should know what you are doing!) biffing your override folder. As this is radical change and cannot be reversed without a backup, read the instructions completely before you do anything!

So the first step, make sure you have a safe backup files(no mods installed)! Copy the original override folder, baldur.ini, CHITIN.KEY, dialog.tlk and BGMain.exe(it should take something like 41-44Mb's depending how you look at it) to a different directory.

A notice: this isn't about trying to solve hard disk space problems, this is just going to add them, as there can be crashes to windows that can't be got around without both of the override.bif and the real override/ folder. So you'll probably are going to need them both.

Second step, solve your mod installation order to the best of your abilities. Try to get rid of as many of those nasty lag producing mods as possible.

Third step is to install the mods in the order.

The forth is to make the biff: You might want to make a backup of the same files as before this. Then get a newest WeiDU.exe and copy it to the game directory, or you could copy and rename the last WeiDU mod's exe to "WeiDU.exe".

Start it, push Enter a few times so the Enter argument: -line comes up. Write:

--game C:\BG2SoA (presuming you have the game installed into that directory, if you have not, and there is spaces between the name use the quotation marks like this: "C:\BG2 SoA\etc" . There is a limit for this line length so you might want to take it account when you are installing the BG2)

The exe runs a few seconds and ends. It should notice something about the game path.

Start the same WeiDU.exe again and push Enter a few times so the Enter argument: -line comes up again. Write:

--make-biff override

And it runs again, more than a few seconds and makes override.bif

Start the game(don't delete anything, or you'll have the CTW's).

Thanks so much Jarno Mikkola! I didn't know all that. I didn't realize that some mods cause the lagging I just thought it was how many I had installed at one time.

My hubby understands all the computerese and said he can help with the rest of what you said. Thanks again now I think I understand where my problems have been coming from.

Thanks so much Jarno Mikkola!
I am happy I can help! By the way, if you use the Seach function on these forum or here, you can bet you can find the exact mod components that produce the lagging, if you want to find all of them with the word lagging or stutter, as there is quite plentiful of them... (just make sure they are talking about the current version, not one that's older than you father :band: , but you don't need to find all of them of course, if the game rolls alright.)

Archived