IWD Tweaks: assigning area scripts

Kulyok

I'm posting here to tell you I am stealing your code from IWD Fixpack* - assigning area scripts(besides stealing CD_STATE_NOTVALID, which is now so popular that it's bad taste _not_ to be stealing it). Yes, I know you usually don't mind, but I'd like to ask anyway - and I really don't want to do the same job twice.

And I'm also asking because I have questions: am I stealing your code correctly? That is, are you sure that the original game(without HoW) _has_ these scripts assigned(say, AR1201 or AR3502), and TotL _doesn't_?

// IWD Tweaks code for assigning area scripts
COPY_EXISTING ~ar4002.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar4004.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar6007.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar6009.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar6014.are~ ~override~
WRITE_ASCIIE 0x94 ~%SOURCE_RES%~ #8
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

// IWD Tweaks code for assigning area scripts, HoW
ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~ar9100.are~ THEN BEGIN
COPY_EXISTING ~ar9103.are~ ~override~
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
END

// IWD Tweaks code for assigning area scripts, TotL
ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~ar9700.are~ THEN BEGIN
COPY_EXISTING ~ar1101.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar1102.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar1104.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar1106.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar1109.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar1200.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar1201.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar2001.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar2002.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar2003.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar2005.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar2006.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar3001.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar3101.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar3201.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar3301.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar3401.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar3501.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar3502.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar3503.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar3600.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar3601.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar3602.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar3603.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5001.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5002.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5003.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5102.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5201.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5202.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5203.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5204.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5301.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5302.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5303.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5401.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5402.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5403.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5404.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar5502.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar6001.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar6011.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar7000.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar7002.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar8002.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar8014.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar8015.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar8016.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar9301.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar9501.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar9601.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar9800.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar9801.are~ ~override~
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
END

P.S. Did you folks see that CoM IWD Fixpack replaces dialog.tlk and dumps a whole load of stuff to override outright? Me nearly fainted. (Am I supposed to say: "No, people, don't install it with IWD NPC, avoid it like plague", "Install it before IWD NPC and play at your own risk", or, quoting Man-at-Work, "IWD NPC ideally should be your only mod"?)

P.P.S. Because I'm supposed to say something else nasty: STATE_REALLY_DEAD doesn't appear in IESDP, so it must be a custom state, and it doesn't have a prefix, which is a Bad Thing. So there.

* - I've recently been reminded that I've been stealing things and never publicly said so:

1) the list of BG2 tavern/inn areas(okay, I hand-checked them later, but they were still stolen from the Flirt Pack in the first place. Whoever wants to steal them from Xan, check you're stealing them correctly: I think I accidentally included the Ust Natha tavern there).

2) a prefix with an #, which totally rocks, compared to stuff like PG, AD, and even RE_. Long live Ghreyfain and his "J#", I say: it's very, very convenient.

3) (I did credit the idea of flirts and player-initiated dialogue in the first place, but me being hosted at PPG, it'd be really strange for me NOT to do so).

4) On the plus side, I've always been encouraging people to steal my code; not that there's much to steal. Write one Xan line I don't like, however, and I'll keep reminding you about it for the next twenty years.

I'm posting here to tell you I am stealing your code from IWD Fixpack* - assigning area scripts(besides stealing CD_STATE_NOTVALID, which is now so popular that it's bad taste _not_ to be stealing it). Yes, I know you usually don't mind, but I'd like to ask anyway - and I really don't want to do the same job twice.

Of course.

And I'm also asking because I have questions: am I stealing your code correctly? That is, are you sure that the original game(without HoW) _has_ these scripts assigned(say, AR1201 or AR3502), and TotL _doesn't_?

In most of these areas, they simply don't have area scripts in IWD/HoW so I don't bother assigning them. TotL pretty much gives every non-TotL area some lame-ass area script that triggers a cutscene based on a lonelywood variable. So yeah, you could assign ar1201.are a script in non-TotL games--there's just no actual ar1201.bcs outside of TotL which is why I didn't bother.

P.S. Did you folks see that CoM IWD Fixpack replaces dialog.tlk and dumps a whole load of stuff to override outright? Me nearly fainted. (Am I supposed to say: "No, people, don't install it with IWD NPC, avoid it like plague", "Install it before IWD NPC and play at your own risk", or, quoting Man-at-Work, "IWD NPC ideally should be your only mod"?)

Redrake has permission to basically take the fixes from IWD Tweaks whole if he wants, and I believe he was planning on doing so for the next release (though he's since disappeared). As of now, the fixes in Tweaks are more comprehensive anyway, so you should just recommend using it instead until Redrake can modernize and update his fixpack.

P.P.S. Because I'm supposed to say something else nasty: STATE_REALLY_DEAD doesn't appear in IESDP, so it must be a custom state, and it doesn't have a prefix, which is a Bad Thing. So there.

It doesn't really matter if there are overlapping IDS entries as everything will still compile just fine. :band:

Archived