Racial Comments mod

Amgot

Has anybody ever been disappointed at how few remarks/comments on your race there are in BG1 and BG2? I really love the elf-hater outside of Waukeen's Promenade and I wish there would be more non-joinable NPCs commenting one way or another on your race.

For example, playing as a half-orc should undoubtedly bring not-so-gentle remarks from many characters. Similarly, playing as a "shortie", I would expect to be mocked by some of the bigots you encounter in the game (plus this would give the PC a good excuse to kill them!). Even a human PC could be faced with mistrust from the elves in Suldanesselar...

Such a mod is primarily designed to add flavor to the game. Basically, it would only consist in adding a line or two of dialogue to a couple of non-joinable NPCs in BG1 and BG2. In a second phase, party members reactions could be added (imagine Korgan laughing his ass off because someone made fun of your elvish descent, or Mazzy taking your defense because your halfling PC has been insulted). Any ideas or reactions?

I'd love to see this idea come into being. I'd especially like to 1) have a Drow Elf protagonist, and 2) be recognized as such by NPCs both in the party and outside. Possibly #2 is easier to do without messing things up than #1. I say this because I've used the Subrace mod before, but it was screwing with some on-screen text, in places such as just below the character's name on either the character record or the inventory screen. So, I uninstalled the mod, but it has lasting effects on some of my characters. My Drow is properly labeled, but my Sylvan Elf now has a snippet of dialog just below her name. Unless there's a way to fix this with NearInfinity, I must live with it, but it has no effect on the game, thankfully.

Two coppers for ya :band:

Cheers,

Eric

Icewind Dale's got quite a few racial comments, and, yes, they add flavor. It's a nifty tweak, though if limited to "You're an elf" or "What do you gnomes know?", it gets old after a while.

True enough. What I envision would be less generic though. Only a couple of non-joinable NPCs would react to your race but the consequences would sometimes be much more far-reaching. For example, a shopkeeper could refuse to sell you anything (or only sell junk, like Bentley Mirrorshade of the FAI does when you have Eldoth in your party). This should obviously be made optional, but imagine if as an half-orc, you were denied entry into the Adventurer's Mart...

I really love the elf-hater outside of Waukeen's Promenade and I wish there would be more non-joinable NPCs commenting one way or another on your race.

I'm pretty sure he comments even if your PC isn't an elf, though he tries to kill you if Viconia's in the party. :band:

True enough. What I envision would be less generic though. Only a couple of non-joinable NPCs would react to your race but the consequences would sometimes be much more far-reaching. For example, a shopkeeper could refuse to sell you anything (or only sell junk, like Bentley Mirrorshade of the FAI does when you have Eldoth in your party). This should obviously be made optional, but imagine if as an half-orc, you were denied entry into the Adventurer's Mart...

Hmm, it is possible under some circumstances, although a half-orc being denied access to the Adventurer's Mart when they deal in all the planer stuff and so on is a bit unusual an idea so I wouldn't recommend that one. ;)

Some of the NPCs that do comment on an NPC of your group's race sometimes ignore the fact you may be of the same race or more (ie: elf, half elf), but like Kulyok said, it'd be too generic to go down that path.

More reputable stores may be less willing to sell goods, or if in the case of an inn, give a room to half-orcs or another species that are not well liked in the region or by the NPC proprietor in question. Coercing the storekeep (intimidate, or charm) or bribing them may allow services to be rendered... if begrudingly. :band:

In respective cases:

Baldur's Gate and the Sword Coast

Half Orcs are tolerated, Drow, duergar and possibly tieflings wouldn't be.

In Amn elves are looked upon suspiciously after the Council of Six spread propaganda during the time of their accension to Amnish leadership. Half Elves are seen as elves by humans but the opposite case in the eyes of a full blood elf. Halflings are also generally dismissed as either flighty or thieves by the human working class.

Icewind Dale:

Drow and duergar are not exactly tolerated, but not as bad as elsewhere.

Half-Orcs are very likely to meet resentment or hostility because of the long generations of war with orc clans in the region.

Hope some of this helps. :D

Archived