HOWTO : easy way to build GemRB on windows

zefklop

All needed development libraries are now at http://gemrb.sourceforge.net/download/

NOTE: its December 16, 2008, there has been a v3.1 release on September 25, 2008, but while checking the installation documentation, I could NOT get "All needed development libraries", nor could I find http://gemrb.sourceforge.net/download/

QUESTION: Is this page still available, is it possible to offer a mirror for the "development libraries" in the tut, are the LATEST libraries required to compile GemRB successfully (all platforms)

Paul

looking forward to the next release(s)

I don't think we offer a download for the development libs coming from third parties.

Maybe there was a page with links to them.

You have to download the developer kits/packages for openal, sdl, python and zip.

If you cannot find one of those ask me.

I'm sure i wrote a list of the urls somewhere, but i don't find it now.

[edit]

I don't know what platform you have, so the answer is not easy. We aim to keep compatibility with old and new versions of the depended libraries. This is quite difficult due to the wide variety of target platforms.

On Windows, the current stable SDL version (1.2.13) is known to crash. This bug was fixed by the sdl developers independent to us. This is somewhere written on our wiki (with solution).

So, if you got Windows, download the sources for SDL (either from their development repository, or get the stable version and apply the changes). If you got linux you can go with any SDL from 1.2. But newest is always the better.

I think we support Python from 2.2 up to the current stable version. In this case, i can recommend 2.4 or 2.5.

From openal, you better get the newest available for your platform (this often means compiling from source).

Actually, I made a bunch of zip files containing all needed development libraries, and wjp put it on the above url. The better would be to ask him why/how it has disappeared...

As lynx posted, I guess the better would be to have them somewhere on the sourceforge download page.

I have a small problem with compiling gemrb, complains about not finding strndup ?

Any one have a solution for that?

I'm using cmake version 2.6-patch 2

Guest Frustrated Guest

I am having multiple problems with Cmake not finding the location of installed libraries, and I can't manually point it at them because it won't tell me the file it needs. The documentation is just as helpful, I.E. dense. Talking about how to make something request a library, never mentioning the files it actually needs,, or the path it's actually looking for them at.

I have installed, and it refuses to find, the Pinglib, zlib, sdl video, and AL audio files. Can someone either walk me through the process, preferbly on an IM, or upload an already built version, as Cmake is a bugger for me to get running.

<rant>I swear they make these things hard out of some kind of elitist attitude. Yeah, I want to run an OS other than Windows, but when all the useful programs need compiling, and the compiler needs full lessons and a tutor to help you understand them, what's the point?</rant>

uhh, so you're on windows or not? If so, did you follow the instructions on the first page? Which version of gemrb are you trying to build? Additional search directories can be specified in CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH.

No, we don't want it hard for Windows users.

I myself try to maintain the code to stay compatible with msvc6!

Simply, Windows is a very different platform in the sea of Posix compatible platforms.

Sadly, i don't know anything about CMake on Windows. I don't remember if i managed it yet.

You don't really need full lessons to type 'make' then 'make install' (which is what i need to do).

Getting the required packages is like typing: sudo apt-get install sdl (if it wasn't installed by default).

If you insist on Windows, try to download M$'s free visual express compiler.

Guest Guest
uhh, so you're on windows or not? If so, did you follow the instructions on the first page? Which version of gemrb are you trying to build? Additional search directories can be specified in CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH.

Sorry, should have been clearer. Yeah, I'm on windows, I followed all the instructions on the first page, except the library mass download step as it doesn't exist. I don't know where the replacement files from the second download you gave (in response to Paul) should even go. I'm using the SVN of GemRB.

And where is CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH typed? Considering there are three or four paths I need it to include, for the librarys it requested.

And Avenger?

The rant was at Cmake, not Gem.

I'm pretty sure sudo commands don't work on windows... It can't hurt to try.

I don't want windows, but I'm not going to dual boot yet. I don't have the HDD space.

If you don't want to compile gemrb in the first place, we provide a binary package: https://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.p...lease_id=664861

I don't know where the libs ended up, I thought that was resolved. You said you manually installed them, so that should be enough. When running cmake, add -DCMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH:PATH="$PATH", where PATH contains the values for your system include dirs - see the first page for the "default" setting.

Guest Apologetic Guest

Oops. I should have looked for that...

Also, I managed to get Cmake to compile fine, I'd pointed it down the wrong tree. *feels like an idiot*

Yeah, sorry for venting, Cmake was just winding me up...

Thanks for your help, and here's hoping I have no more problems...

Guest Guest (Again.)

I am having two little problems with the Gem.exe now, I've set the config up, and i gives me two errors on running.

An error "[KEYImporter] Searching for projectl.ids...ERROR"

and another saying "Import Error: no module named GUIDefines.

[GUIScript] Check if *path*\GUIDefines.py exists." Which it does.

What's going on?

I have Python 2.6.x installed.

Depending on your game - which you forgot to mention - projectl.ids may exist in the gemrb override or in the original game data.

The gemrb override depends on the game type you configured.

We reduced the possible game types by merging how/iwd and tob/bg2.

So it might be you just need to enter an existing game type.

Archived