How can I create a Override Script?

ericp07

Hello,

Following the tutorial on creating NPCs for n00bs (such as myself :band: ), there are instructions for adding an entry in the .cre file for the Override Script (both using the mod character's name, including prefix). In NearInfinity, after creating the .cre from the .chr and then opening the .cre in a new window, I can click the value for the Override Script to change it, and there's even a text box above the list where I can type something in, but it won't accept anything that's not already in the list. This makes me suspect that a file needs to exist to be selected there (if so, it would be a .bcs, right?). So, I'd like to know if I can create such a file and place it in the right spot, then open the .cre again in NI and select the script.

TIA for any help with this!

Happy gaming,

Eric

It's easier to do in the Finder: pick any script in the override folder, duplicate it, give it a unique (no longer than 8 characters) filename, and reload NI (hit F5) or just quit/relaunch it. The new script should be available in the list, and you can then modify it as you wish.

Normally, you'd just write your script in a text editor and compile with WeiDU.

Or you can right click the field and 'Edit as String', and type in what your script will be named, minus the .bcs extension.

Ah, yes...I believe I was able to do that for one of the other fields (may have been the Death Variable). I'll try that first. If no joy, I'll follow devSin's instructions.

Thanks!

Eric

That still won't make your script (you'll need to create it at some point).

You should also have the option to "Add Copy of" (or similar) in the File (or wherever) menu with a resource selected (with a script selected in the main browser window, File -> Add Copy of will prompt for a new filename, copy the resource to the override and rename it, and then reload).

This issue appears to have been solved by right-clicking the field and selecting Edit as String, however I'll double-check to see if I still need to create the file, as devSin suggests. I was able to save the .cre, at least.

Thanks,

Eric

This issue appears to have been solved by right-clicking the field and selecting Edit as String, however I'll double-check to see if I still need to create the file, as devSin suggests. I was able to save the .cre, at least.

Thanks,

Eric

You'll definitely need to make the script at some time - this is just so you don't have to have it made before deciding what it will be called.

Basically, listen to devSin. :)

Archived