My first mod

ericp07

Hello,

My dream of creating a joinable mod NPC is materializing, as I followed theacefes' tutorial, with additional guidance from some of you fine people. Successfully installed the bare-bones mod, loaded a test game currently in Chapter 2, and got the NPC to join my party :)

This is my first attempt, and more work is needed to make the character a meaningful and desireable asset to a party (though she's great in battle). I'm thinking of modifying her portrait (it's from a piece of art by Luis Royo) or, even better, asking someone to create a portrait based on the one I'm using. Also, I'll need to decide whether to ask the creator of Sorschana's soundset for permission to use that as her voice, or to ask around here for someone to voice lines that I'll write for the files that comprise a soundset. The more I think about it, the more I feel that original work in the graphics and sound departments is the best way to go.

Now that the character "works," I'll need to explore and follow the process for creating a kit for her, as I don't want her to be a vanilla ranger who will be met with overwhelming yawns ;) This character is the subject of my interest in creating an interesting variant of the Needle of Mielikki kit, which could use some enhancing in order to be seen as worth the effort. She needs to be more than just another pretty face ;)

I just wanted to make this basic announcement because I'm happy it worked, and now I'm ready to sculpt the model into a work of art!

Happy modding,

Eric

Congratulations, Eric!

Hello,

My dream of creating a joinable mod NPC is materializing, as I followed theacefes' tutorial, with additional guidance from some of you fine people. Successfully installed the bare-bones mod, loaded a test game currently in Chapter 2, and got the NPC to join my party :)

This is my first attempt, and more work is needed to make the character a meaningful and desireable asset to a party (though she's great in battle). I'm thinking of modifying her portrait (it's from a piece of art by Luis Royo) or, even better, asking someone to create a portrait based on the one I'm using. Also, I'll need to decide whether to ask the creator of Sorschana's soundset for permission to use that as her voice, or to ask around here for someone to voice lines that I'll write for the files that comprise a soundset. The more I think about it, the more I feel that original work in the graphics and sound departments is the best way to go.

Now that the character "works," I'll need to explore and follow the process for creating a kit for her, as I don't want her to be a vanilla ranger who will be met with overwhelming yawns ;) This character is the subject of my interest in creating an interesting variant of the Needle of Mielikki kit, which could use some enhancing in order to be seen as worth the effort. She needs to be more than just another pretty face ;)

I just wanted to make this basic announcement because I'm happy it worked, and now I'm ready to sculpt the model into a work of art!

Happy modding,

Eric

Congratulations, Eric!

Thanks so much! I look forward to continuing to learn as I go, and I'm glad the overall state of modding is at the level it is now, so I can benefit from the community's acquired experience and wisdom.

Amaurea, would you be willing and able to help create a portrait for this particular character? You're the first person who came to mind as I thought about it. Or, if you'd prefer to refer me to someone else, I'd be happy to be redirected.

Happy modding,

Eric

I have no involvement with said fruit :) No, this character is a female Sylvan Elf, who has a special mission, but who also enjoys serving as a wilderness guide. I'll have the character available as-is, and include an optional component to give her a kit (essential for her character concept, but not if you just want her as a straight class), and another component for her special mission...or missions, I haven't decided on that bit yet.

- E

OK, so the plan as of now is to include the NPC Shae`lina Hawkwind (can Hawkwind be translated accurately into Sindarin? Or even Quenya?), with her starting gear and soundset, some superior gear that should become available when she's high enough in level, and some creatures for her to hunt...and that hunt her :) Quests can wait till later, and I'm thinking maybe they can be created and distributed as a separate yet related mod package.

Now that I've got some basics squared away for the mod, I'll soon work on meaningful dialog/banter. For inspiration, I'll dig into various NPC mods I have and see how to set up conversation and allow it to flow throughout the game, without becoming too distracting from play. Shae`lina is a bit shy when first meeting people, but her curiosity and enthusiasm soon overcome that, encouraging her to both talk in more depth about herself, and ask in more detail about her companions. She can't help a degree of ethnocentricity, but she's never haughty or arrogant. Spending time with a party composed of races other than her own will help her to gain insights and expand her worldview, so I suppose the mod is partly about her personal development within the group dynamic :D This Sylvan Elf is a single adult, and a virgin, but she will be romanceable...

As always, words of wisdom, advice, caution, encouragement are all most welcome.

Cheers,

Eric

Advice: Use Angelo as an example of code. It works, it's cleanly coded, and it takes advantage of a couple nifty innovations on the dialogue end.

Encouragement: You can do it. If your persistence in getting your installation to work is any indication, you'll be fine.

More advice: Keep it simple. Start with a basic framework, bare bones, if you will, and add to it from there. Don't try to do too much first pass, and by all means, test and code as you go.

Translation of Hawkwind into Sindarin: (no word for hawk, will eagle work?) ThoronSul. The u has a hat thingy on it (forgot the name), but the character doesn't exist in the game font, so it probably isn't worth fussing with.

Advice: Use Angelo as an example of code. It works, it's cleanly coded, and it takes advantage of a couple nifty innovations on the dialogue end.

Encouragement: You can do it. If your persistence in getting your installation to work is any indication, you'll be fine.

More advice: Keep it simple. Start with a basic framework, bare bones, if you will, and add to it from there. Don't try to do too much first pass, and by all means, test and code as you go.

Translation of Hawkwind into Sindarin: (no word for hawk, will eagle work?) ThoronSul. The u has a hat thingy on it (forgot the name), but the character doesn't exist in the game font, so it probably isn't worth fussing with.

Ahhh, so now I must seek out and download this Angelo mod...been meaning to out of curiosity anyway, though I don't think I could install and use the mod in my game.

I do look forward to giving Shae`lina interesting things to say :)

Hmmm...I thought about using "eagle" at one time, though I like the name Hawkwind quite a lot (I took it from a band, but I don't know their music). Thoron`sul might fit. I'll give it some thought. When you say "hat thingy," are you referring to a circumflex?

Thanks,

Eric

Yes, that would be it, circumflex.

Though Thoron'Sul sounds like the villainess in The Mummy.

I'm trying to remember my sindarin, whether or not anything funny happens to the consonants in that configuration, but I can't remember.

You know, if you're using sindarin, you don't really have to bother with that ' you're using to separate words. For proper names, they're all run together, like Celebrian, or the Galadrim.

Ahhh, so now I must seek out and download this Angelo mod...been meaning to out of curiosity anyway, though I don't think I could install and use the mod in my game.

With Angelo, Cam was packing the OSX version, so it'll probably work better than DC/RE one packed by me, and you'll be safe with it. :) There are a lot of scripts in there, but the only two you need(for SoA) are ADAngel.baf and ADAngelD.baf.

If Angelo seems too complex, try Tiax - the coding is probably about the same(though Tiax lacks bits like Bodhi abduction, but you don't need them yet), there's an OSX version for him, too. Just remember to replace O# with your own prefix, since your first name probably isn't Olya. :)

With Angelo, Cam was packing the OSX version, so it'll probably work better than DC/RE one packed by me, and you'll be safe with it. :) There are a lot of scripts in there, but the only two you need(for SoA) are ADAngel.baf and ADAngelD.baf.

If Angelo seems too complex, try Tiax - the coding is probably about the same(though Tiax lacks bits like Bodhi abduction, but you don't need them yet), there's an OSX version for him, too. Just remember to replace O# with your own prefix, since your first name probably isn't Olya. :)

I was pleased to discover that Angelo can indeed fit in with my set-up. Downloaded and installed without a hitch :) Looking forward to experiencing the mod in-game!

- E

Archived