BG1 NPC Project gives NPCs weapons? Which NPCs and what weapons?

Bursk

I haven't used BG1 NPC Project for a while, and that was mainly just to take a quick look at the mod (not too fussed on some of the Imoen stuff, btw), so I had no idea that NPCs are given weapons by the mod e.g. Kivan's +2 spear.

I'm in the process of working out what proficiencies to give each NPC using the Level One NPCs mod, and I'd like this to be consistent with any weapons that BG1 NPC Project gives them.

I think it also depends on the weapons available in the game, and on the tactics you are using.

Me, I like Kivan(whom I always use - just like Xan, I can't help it. Besides, Domi has some great banters for the two, and there's Xan Romance I've written and Domi added to, so) dual-wielding Drizzt's scimitars. Yes, I know, Drizzt is a good guy and all, but somehow, it works out in my game. Don't ask. But before level 5-6, he's a killer with a bow(+1 one from Beregost, from the posh inn).

With Xan, I like him as a Fighter\Mage(or just a Fighter) with Varscona and his moonblade in the off hand.

With Khalid, I like bastard swords - and +1 bastard swords are available early, too. Just like Xan and Kivan, he is dual-wielding.

Jaheira either gets a +2 staff spear, or a +3 staff - both from TotSC.

Coran, again, is good with a bow, and so on. Basically, three dual-wielders + one archer kill everything.

Most quests and some encounters result in minor gifts; Tiax I think was supposed to end up with a mace, but i am not sure we implemented it.

Frankly, Bursk, you are better off playing what you want - I always rebuild Ms. Speak Sharply And Carry A Big Stick to use quarterstaff instead of club. Sometimes you get given something you can't really use, and that is just life on the Great Wheel! There are all sorts of minor gifts, like Safana's box (no heavy spoilers, but keep Ajantis and Safana in close proximity for awhile), Imoen gets a chance at having a special item, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Would the authors consider an install-time option that gives Jaheira a staff or spear instead of a club, and maybe a bastard sword for Ajantis?

jastey, are you saying that Ajantis' shield grants him 1* in Sword and Shield Style? If so, what happens if I put 2* in Sword and Shield Style when he level-ups (so that'd be my 2* plus the 1* from the shield)?

jastey, are you saying that Ajantis' shield grants him 1* in Sword and Shield Style? If so, what happens if I put 2* in Sword and Shield Style when he level-ups (so that'd be my 2* plus the 1* from the shield)?
I assume the points remain by a max of two, meaning the one from the shield is lost, but I don't know it for sure.

Giving him a bastard sword instead a long sword should be no problem, I think. It depends on his proficiencies, of course, etc., but actually I like the idea very much myself.

I don't have a Tutu install that is easily accessible; what proficiencies does Ajantis have in Tutu? Would it be possible to give him a bastard sword instead of the long sword in BG1NPC?

Would the authors consider an install-time option that gives Jaheira a staff or spear instead of a club, and maybe a bastard sword for Ajantis?

What would be the point? Level 1 NPCs already does all this and more. I don't know, it might be just me, but so far it seems like BG1 NPC Project incorporates many things that are just not about joinable BG1 characters anymore: Sarevok's diary, Gnomes, Bardic Reputation, portraits for non-joinable characters, Centeol's new story, and so on, and so forth. It doesn't make sense to me: yes, I want suchi, and I'll go to Yakitoria for good suchi, but I'd rather shop at Shokoladnica for sorbet. Ah well. Anyway, yes, Level 1 NPCs will give Jaheira a spear or a staff, if you choose these proficiencies for her.

I see what you mean, Kulyok, but for Ajantis, equipping him with a bastard sword instead of the already added long sword would mean changing "SW1H04" to "SW1H01" in the tp2. Which only makes sense if he can use the bastard sword afterwards, of course.

I'd assumed from what's already been said, that the club for Jaheira and the long sword for Ajantis are custom weapons, in the same way that Kivan has a custom spear. Is this not the case?

Thing is, if I'm going to be using BG1 NPC Project and Level One NPCs, what I'd really like to avoid are situations like:

'Oh, look, there's Ajantis with his lovely shiny long sword, which he can't use properly because he's been given proficiency points in bastard sword.'

and

'Jaheira, I notice that you favour the staff and spear so, for your services to all things druidic, I present you with this club. Enjoy.'

The +2 club is given to Jaheira at the end of her quest in the Cloakwood forest. It was Theodur(one of Jaheira's guardian and the main quest designer)'s wish that it was a club, specifically, because there're very few good magical clubs in the game.

I'd have to check, but i assume that Ajantis' two-handed sword, which he gets from Tutu, lands in his inventory.

Changing the long sword he receives from BG1NPC to a bastard sword would result in giving him the weapon he has in original BG1, imho. He only gets the sword so he can use his family shield anyhow. (But, since I don't know which proficiency Ajantis has in Tutu concerning long / bastard swords, I can't say more to that.)

jastey, you did say that your BG2 Ajantis will use a bastard sword, yes? If so, an optional component to give him the same weapon in BG1 makes sense to me.

Kulyok, your example of the +2 club illustrates 'the point' of an optional component. How about default Jaheira gets a club, but there's an option to give her something else instead? Perhaps she could even have a choice of quest rewards, considering how unpopular the club seems to be as a weapon.

Or is the mod no longer subject to change because some person named Theodur got to write Jaheira's part before anyone else? All I'm asking for are more options for the player, which can't be a bad thing.

Or is the mod no longer subject to change because some person named Theodur got to write Jaheira's part before anyone else?

I am afraid so, yes. For example, no one can edit Ajantis' romance dialogue unless jastey says so/Xan romance dialogue unless I say so/dialogues and quests for Domi's characters unless she says so, and so on.

We have an "Editorial rights" thread in the workroom, where we indicate which material can be changed, should the mod's maintainer desire to: I've given up all 'rights' for Branwen romance/other player-initiated stuff for a few characters I've written there, but not for Xan romance. If the author is absent and he/she hasn't given permission to change his or her stuff, it remains this way.

Is it worth trying to contact this Theodur to see if they will grant permission for an optional component? I notice he/she hasn't logged in for over a year.

Ah, and I notice that Blucher also hasn't been on for over a year. I did PM cmorgan recently regarding some of Imoen's dialogue, but I can see now why he didn't bother replying. What's the point if no changes will be made?

You know what, just forget about it. Thanks again to you, cmorgan and jastey for your replies.

Archived