New Portrait Modifications

Ionis

Hello G3!

A while back I modified some existing bioware portraits, it took me a while but I've decided to share them with the world, all I'm looking for is hosting really. Below are the portraits I have edited with their respective comparisons.

AerieComparison.jpg

I tried to make Aerie more Avariel-like. According to wikipedia:

"Their skin is pale, often porcelain white, with tinges of blue or faint silver. They have a silver-white or black hair, with other shades being rare but not unheard of. The avariel's eyes are rather large and more expressive than those of other elves are, and they tend to be brilliant shades of blue or green."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avariel

ImoenComparison.jpg

I didn't really like Imoen's new hairstyle in BGII, hence the modifications. I also gave her robes her new black and yellow colour scheme.

Unfortunately I lost the 'Large' image, I've created a place holder but it is lower quality than the other images of that size, this doesn't matter too much however as it is only displayed in the epilogue (phew!).

JaheiraComparison.jpg

I very much disliked Jaheira's new portrait in BG2 hence the heavily modified one I have here.

ViconiaComparison.jpg

There was nothing much wrong with the Viconia portrait, I just changed it a bit to suit my personal tastes.

Sorry for posting this here I was just not sure where else too lol. If there is a particular person I need to PM or contact, it would be great if someone could provide me details.

Thank you in advance.

Ionis

Just a note about Viconia there: Drow in the Realms have skin the color of obsidian. It would be absolutely fantastic if you could reflect that in your portrait of her ;)

What you did with Aerie is wonderful, btw :)

Cheers,

Eric

Just a note about Viconia there: Drow in the Realms have skin the color of obsidian. It would be absolutely fantastic if you could reflect that in your portrait of her :)

What you did with Aerie is wonderful, btw ;)

Cheers,

Eric

Thank you, I'll certainly give it a go ;).

EDIT:

Here is Viconia with obsidian(ish) skin. Something doesn't look quite right but I'm probably just used to the original.

NVICONIBL.jpg

Wow, the new Viconia looks gorgeous! ;) If you find that the image looks too dark, just a little bit of lightening should do the trick (but probably no need to increase brightness). I do believe I'm drooling now...got a napkin? :)

I'm really looking forward to seeing your complete archive, if and when you can make it available!

Cheers,

Eric

I love them too! My only beef is what Senka brought up.. it seems like you made all of their eyes smaller.. and they just don't seem to fit their faces as well as the old size. It's even more obvious with Aerie, who, as you pointed out via the wiki entry, should have bigger eyes than the average elf.

I love the darker Viconia as well. :) I am not that fond of purple eyes (Drizzt connection and all that.) Could you try light brown ones to match her leather armour? Well, that's if you are still interested in more experimenting. Other than that lovely edits.

Some great stuff there! Among the better alternate portraits I've seen. My opinions:

Aerie: In general I like your changes a lot, seriously. But what others have noted about making all the eyes smaller is particularly true in Aerie's case: You said that your motive was to make them more fitting to an Avariel, but in the Avariel's description that you yourself quote, it says: "The avariel's eyes are rather large and more expressive than those of other elves are..." Thus the original Aerie's eyes are much more fitting than the eyes you gave her. I'd put those back, at least as far as size. I'm not opposed to the change in eye color, looks like it works to me, but I think I'd have to see how it looked after you restored her eyes to their original size. Every other change is excellent.

Imoen: Her new eyes don't look quite right either. I'd change those back as well.

Jaheira: I like it a lot. The smaller eyes don't bother me in this one, it works with her. Very very nice job on her hair too, I hated the original. The best out of the new ones you've presented here. Wouldn't change a thing.

Viconia: The new dark picture looks -too- dark. I know this is something that kinda depends on your screen setup, but in my case you can't even make out any features. I could see something in between your original "After" picture and the much darker version, in terms of coloration. And as far as the eyes, I think your smaller version actually fits her face better.

Qwinn

Thanks for the feedback everyone, my old pc died two weeks ago and I lost the original .psd formats I used for the edits (It'll make further changes difficult :)).

I see what some of you mean with eye sizes - I shot myself in the foot with the Avariel quote lol. I like them better this way but I see how it won't please everyone.

Imoen's eyes do look a bit strange but that's because the comparison is a low resolution compared to the original, in-game it looks as intended.

Concerning Viconia's portrait it will depend on your screen set-up, mine is fairly bright so it looks as drow should, but if you're playing using a darker set-up I recommend the none-darkened portrait included in the pack.

I've found hosting over at CoM, if anyone feels interested you can download it here - http://forums.chosenofmystra.net/index.php?topic=985.0

It is not required to use all the portraits, the installation is manual so you can use only Aerie's or only Jaheira's, or use all but Imoen's if you wish it :).

I'm usually quite averse to using non-standard NPC portraits, but these (Aerie and Jaheira in particular) would be wonderful, if only you hadnt given them those hideous little piggy eyes.

Bigger eyes all round please! :)

Archived