walking speeds in BGT

Guest Hornacek

Guest Hornacek

Ok, I installed most of the BG2-Tweaks-v6 pack for my BG1 (Tutu) game. And I found my party PAINFULLY slow. It took forever to walk anywhere. And I have a new computer - the characters moved at a regular pace on my older computer (without the Tweak pack).

I found out about the Framerate and increased it to 50, and noticed a difference in most of my party (Ajantis, Khalid, Kivan and Safana walk better than average now). However, Jaheira and my PC Kensai walk at a PAINFULLY slow speed. When exploring a wilderness area, they often get left so far behind that I had to stop the other 4 and wait minutes for them to catch up. And my Kensai has the most HP, but by the time he joins Ajantis at the frong lines in a battle, the fight is usually over (thanks to the missile weapons from the other 4).

The only other mod I have installed for BG1 (Tutu) is the EasyTutuNPCKits pack. And while I changed 3 of the 4 fast-walkers, I didn't change Khalid (but I did installed the Tweak part about making him a fighter-mage). But I didn't install anything in the EasyTutuNPCKits pack about Jaheira or a Kensai. And I didn't install anything in the Tweaks pack about Kensais, and the only thing in the Tweaks pack I installed for Jaheira was to make her Neutral Good (which didn't work, since I had already met her).

Is there any reason why these 2 characters are walking so slow? It's not all the characters, so it can't be a game setting. Do I have to uninstall the whole Tweak pack? I'd rather not - there's some really good stuff in there, but I can't play the rest of the game like this - my Kensai will never get to the front lines to fight at his current speed.

Thanks for any help.

I wonder, did you install the "Use BG Walking Speeds (BETA)" component? If you did, Cam already knows that there are some issues that need fixing (it's labeled a beta for a reason :)); if not, I don't know what's up.

I wonder, did you install the "Use BG Walking Speeds (BETA)" component? If you did, Cam already knows that there are some issues that need fixing (it's labeled a beta for a reason :)); if not, I don't know what's up.

No, I didn't install any of the BETA items. Besides, from the description of the "Walking Speeds" item, it sounded like it would make BG2 characters walk SLOWER than they normally do, like it would slow them down to how fast they walked in BG1 I thought "I like the speed they walk in BG2, why would I want to slow them down?" So I skipped it.

Okay, just thought I'd check first. Although now that I think about it, there's a similar component in Tutufix (on which the one in BG2 Tweaks is based). Say, why don't you copy-and-paste the contents of your WeiDU.log file into a post here?

And if you can, open up a savegame in NI, find the savegame, the part that says Jaheira, and open up her .cre.

In there, find out what she has listed as effects (on WinXP, you can select them and copy/paste into this forum, like this:

Type: Modify proficiencies (233),Target: None (0),Power: 0,# stars: 2,Proficiency: PROFICIENCYSLING - 107,

Type: Modify proficiencies (233),Target: None (0),Power: 0,# stars: 2,Proficiency: EXTRAPROFICIENCY1 - 115,

That was by selecting the line Modify Proficiencies(233), then doing Ctr-C, and then using Crt-V into the forum.

This would tell folks if something has added strange effects.

Okay, just thought I'd check first. Although now that I think about it, there's a similar component in Tutufix (on which the one in BG2 Tweaks is based). Say, why don't you copy-and-paste the contents of your WeiDU.log file into a post here?

Wow, I've never even looked at this file before. Here it is:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name

~EASYTUTUDEGREENIFIER.TP2~ #0 #0 // EasyTutu Degreenifier

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #40 // Change Viconia's Skin Color to Dark Blue

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #50 // Avatar Morphing Script

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Weapon Animation Tweaks

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #70 // Icewind Dale Casting Graphics (Andyr)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #100 // Commoners Use Drab Colors

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #110 // Icon Improvements

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #120 // Change Avatar When Wearing Robes or Armor (Galactygon)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1060 // Breakable Iron Nonmagical Shields, Helms, and Armor

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1090 // Exotic Item Pack

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1100 // Reveal City Maps When Entering Area

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1110 // Add Map Notes

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1120 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1150 // Shapeshifter Rebalancing

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2020 // Two-Handed Bastard Swords

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Two-Handed Katanas

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2040 // Universal Clubs

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2050 // Description Updates for Universal Clubs Component

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2060 // Weapon Styles for All

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2100 // Allow Thieving and Stealth in Heavy Armor

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Allow Arcane Spellcasting in Heavy Armor

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2140 // Expanded Dual-Class Options

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2160 // Alter Weapon Proficiency System -> Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2170 // Cast Spells from Scrolls (and Other Items) at Character Level

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2192 // Limit Ability of Storekeepers to Identify Items -> Hybrid of Both Methods

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2200 // Multi-Class Grandmastery (Weimer)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grandmastery (Baldurdash)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2220 // Change Magically Created Weapons to Zero Weight

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2230 // Make +x/+y Weapons Consistent

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2231 // Description Updates for Make +x/+y Weapons Consistent Component

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2240 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2250 // Un-Nerfed Sorcerer Spell Progression Table

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2260 // Alter Mage Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2270 // Alter Bard Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2280 // Alter Cleric Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2293 // Alter Druid Spell and Level Progression Tables -> Use Cleric Level Progression Changes With Un-Nerfed Druid Spell Table (Blucher)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2330 // Remove Delay for Magical Traps (Ardanis/GeN1e)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3010 // Maximum HP for NPCs (the bigg) -> For All Creatures in Game

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3030 // Easy Spell Learning -> 100% Learn Spells

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3070 // Change Effect of Reputation on Store Prices -> Low Reputation Store Discount (Sabre)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3125 // Neutral Characters Make Happy Comments at Mid-Range Reputation

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3200 // Sellable Items (Icelus)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Adjust Evil joinable NPC reaction rolls

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // ToB-Style NPCs

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4031 // Consistent Stats: Edwin -> Use BG2 Values

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4041 // Consistent Stats: Jaheira -> Use BG2 Values

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Change Jaheira to Neutral Good

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4061 // Consistent Stats: Minsc -> Use BG2 Values

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4071 // Consistent Stats: Viconia -> Use BG2 Values

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4080 // Make Khalid a Fighter-Mage (Domi)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4110 // Give Kagain A Legal Constitution Score of 19

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Assign a kit to Ajantis? -> Ajantis: Cavalier

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #5 // Assign a kit to Alora? -> Alora: Swashbuckler

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #12 // Assign a kit to Eldoth? -> Elodth: Skald

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #13 // Assign a kit to Faldorn? -> Faldorn: Avenger

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #17 // Assign a kit to Garrick? -> Garrick: Jester

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #22 // Assign a kit to Kagain? -> Kagain: Barbarian

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #29 // Assign a kit to Kivan? -> Kivan: Archer

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #39 // Assign a kit to Shar-Teel? -> Shar-Teel: Berserker

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #44 // Assign a kit to Xan? -> Xan: Sorceror

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #36 // Assign a kit to Safana? -> Safana: Bounty Hunter

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #2 // Assign a kit to Ajantis? -> Ajantis: Undead Hunter

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #5 // Assign a kit to Alora? -> Alora: Swashbuckler

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #12 // Assign a kit to Eldoth? -> Elodth: Skald

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #13 // Assign a kit to Faldorn? -> Faldorn: Avenger

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #17 // Assign a kit to Garrick? -> Garrick: Jester

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #22 // Assign a kit to Kagain? -> Kagain: Barbarian

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #29 // Assign a kit to Kivan? -> Kivan: Archer

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #36 // Assign a kit to Safana? -> Safana: Bounty Hunter

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #39 // Assign a kit to Shar-Teel? -> Shar-Teel: Berserker

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #44 // Assign a kit to Xan? -> Xan: Sorceror

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4090 // Make Montaron an Assassin (Andyr)

And if you can, open up a savegame in NI, find the savegame, the part that says Jaheira, and open up her .cre.

In there, find out what she has listed as effects (on WinXP, you can select them and copy/paste into this forum, like this:

Type: Modify proficiencies (233),Target: None (0),Power: 0,# stars: 2,Proficiency: PROFICIENCYSLING - 107,

Type: Modify proficiencies (233),Target: None (0),Power: 0,# stars: 2,Proficiency: EXTRAPROFICIENCY1 - 115,

That was by selecting the line Modify Proficiencies(233), then doing Ctr-C, and then using Crt-V into the forum.

This would tell folks if something has added strange effects.

Ok, I didn't know what NI was, but I'm assuming it's NearInfinity (?)

I'm not that sure how it works - I put it in my BG-Tutu directory and ran it, but I can't seem to open up one of my saved games. If I select Game > Open Game I can browse to one of my saved games in my save folder, but there's nothing I can open (it's looking for a .KEY file). Am I doing this right? Is there a how-to file/site that'll tell me how to use this NI program?

Yes, NI is Near Infinity. And you don't need to put it in your Tutu folder. You were on the right track with "Open Game..."; from there you need to select the CHITIN.KEY file in your Tutu folder, e.g. C:\Program Files\BaldursGateTutu\chitin.key. After that you should see a screen something like this; select the "Save" section, the save you want to look at, then the BALDUR.GAM file in that save, like so.

Yes, NI is Near Infinity. And you don't need to put it in your Tutu folder. You were on the right track with "Open Game..."; from there you need to select the CHITIN.KEY file in your Tutu folder, e.g. C:\Program Files\BaldursGateTutu\chitin.key. After that you should see a screen something like this; select the "Save" section, the save you want to look at, then the BALDUR.GAM file in that save, like so.

Thanks for the instructions, but I already fixed the problem. Now I wanna know how it happened. I loaded my current save game in ShadowKeeper, and on the 2 slow characters (Jaheira and my Kensai) they had 2 copies of the following entry on their Affects tab.

Type = 0x00B0

Param1 = -3

Param2 = 0

Time = 0

Flags = 0x00000009

Target = 0x0001

(I realized these shouldn't be there when I created a brand new game with a new Kensai, saved it, then compared the two saved games in SK)

I deleted both entries for both characters, saved, loaded that game, and those two moved at the same speed as everyone else.

I'm glad it's fixed (I even uninstalled the BG2Tweak pack to see if that made a difference - I reinstalled it and it didn't affect the speed). Just wondering if anyone knew how this could have happened. I definitely didn't add those 2 rows for those characters, but they must have gotten added somehow.

Oh well, at least I got this NI program out of all of this.

Better flag dow CamDawg on this one - I am not sure what could cause a partial deal like that.

I just sent him an email. Hopefully he'll respond (he didn't when I emailed him after this error first occurred) and let me know if the error is with the Tweak pack or something external to the Tweak pack that I must have done.

I've been away enjoying a game of IWD. I figured I earned it after the latest Fixpack release. :)

Here's my guess: the only thing that can alter the speed of your PC is alterations to charbase; BG Walking Speeds does alter this but it's not installed. It's possible Macready incorporated this as part of EasyTutu. It's notable that the fast characters are all ones overridden by EasyTutu NPC Kit Selection. As for Khalid, Tweaks should detect whether Khalid has a movement rate adjustment or not and adjust the new f/m version that gets installed.

I've been away enjoying a game of IWD. I figured I earned it after the latest Fixpack release. :)

Here's my guess: the only thing that can alter the speed of your PC is alterations to charbase; BG Walking Speeds does alter this but it's not installed. It's possible Macready incorporated this as part of EasyTutu. It's notable that the fast characters are all ones overridden by EasyTutu NPC Kit Selection. As for Khalid, Tweaks should detect whether Khalid has a movement rate adjustment or not and adjust the new f/m version that gets installed.

The cause of the slowness of Jaheira and my Kensai was 2 copies of the following on the Affects tab for each character in ShadowKeeper:

Type = 0x00B0

Param1 = -3

Param2 = 0

Time = 0

Flags = 0x00000009

Target = 0x0001

Once I deleted them, those 2 characters walked at the same rate as everyone else. So the problem is solved - I just want to know how this might have happened. I have used Tutu many times and never had anything like this happen, and I only recently installed the Tweaks, so I'm guessing it was that (or some combination with another MOD) that did it.

Oh Hedonismbot, what won't you do!

Archived