Game crash at character creation when trying to select Find Familiar

Anomaly

Hello (again),

I had another nasty discover. Trying to make a mage character with BG2 FixPack v6 installed, the game crashes everytime when my mouse goes over the Find Familiar spell in the character creation screen. I installed with the French language and the crash is reproducable in both Windows and Linux with only Core Fixes from BG2FixPack installed.

I guess this is because the new Find Familiar description I translated is too large for the game. :) I solved this by reinstalling FixPack after having reducing to two dummy lines the @159 string in setup.tra. Sorry guys, I didn't know there was an hard size limit for the spell descriptions. ;)

Good. Removing 3 paragraphs at the start of the description (strings that were in the original French description already) did the job, so it was indeed a length issue. The strings are not necessary to understand the spell, so no harm done in the fix. I sent you the corrected translation.

Thank you Cam. :)

If I put the bad and the good description in a file alone (without the @159 and the ~), I have 3998 bytes in the good and 4703 bytes in the bad (with CRLF at end of lines, I don't know how it is saved inside the .tlk).

Since I removed the sentences one by one until it stopped crashing, I suppose the limit is probably 4000 or 4096 bytes.

Guest Raedwulf
Cut down the descript to a version that doesn't crash, send it to me and I'll update v6.

Works fine in English; any other foreign language players want to check in?

Same problem with german version too (5K Text). After removing the familiar descriptions the crash did not occur again.

Guest Guest

First: Thanks for your work with this very useful fixpack.

Second: I can confirm this bug in the German translation and think that it should be fixed in the next release. I took the time to shorten the German translation without removing necessary information (it now has 3999 characters):

Rettungswurf: Nein

Der Anwender versucht einen Vertrauten zu finden, der ihm in Zukunft als Gefährte und Verbündeter beisteht. Normalerweise handelt es sich bei einem Vertrauten um ein kleines Wesen. Es kann dem Anwender auf viele Weise nutzen. Dieser kann an den Sinneswahrnehmungen seines Vertrauten teilhaben und ihn als Wächter, Aufklärer und Spion einsetzen. Er kann immer nur einen Vertrauten haben und nicht entscheiden, welche Kreatur seinem Ruf folgt. Es ist auch nicht sicher, ob der Zauber überhaupt erfolgreich ist. Der Zauber kann nur vom Hauptcharakter eingesetzt werden.

Das Wesen ist intelligenter als andere Wesen seiner Art (normalerweise um zwei bis drei Punkte) und seine enge Verbindung mit dem Anwender beschert ihm ein längeres Leben, als es für ein derartiges Tier typisch wäre. Der Anwender und der Vertraute stehen durch ein emphatisches Band miteinander in Verbindung. Auf diesem Weg kann der Anwender seinem Vertrauten auch Befehle erteilen.

Der Anwender erhält die Hälfte der Trefferpunkte seines Vertrauten als zusätzliche Trefferpunkte. Er sollte jedoch stets um das Wohlergehen seines Vertrauten besorgt sein. Stirbt dieser, verliert er die zusätzlichen Trefferpunkte, erleidet zusätzlich halb so viel Schaden, wie der Vertraute Trefferpunkte hatte und verliert PERMANENT einen Konstitutionspunkt.

Die Art des Vertrauten wird durch die Gesinnung des Anwenders bestimmt:

RECHTSCHAFFEN/NEUTRAL GUT: Pseudo-Drache

Archived