BG2-Tweaks.exe hanging due to "Too many open files"

Guest Talon

I just downloaded the BG2 Tweaks v6, and while running the setup I am encountering a problem which causes the install to exit.

The exact message I get is:

Auto-Updating on behalf of [Setup-BG2_Tweaks.exe] (done)
[Setup-BG2_Tweaks.exe] WeiDU version 20200
ERROR: Cannot perform auto-update, exiting!
	Sys_error("Setup-BG2_Tweaks.exe: Too many open files")

Which is displayed in the command console window.

Any ideas on what would be causing this and possible ways to fix it?

Once the window that's giving you that error message is closed, look for a file called weidu.lock in your game directory. Delete it, then try again.

Wrong issue. This is Windows being stupid with autoupdate for some reason.

Any suggestions for a way around this?

(note to everyone - we (G3) also want to remove our autoupdate .bat files from all shipping mods... it is causing looping behavior on windows XP and Vista during the autoupdate routine... but I don't think this is the same issue.)

Any suggestions for a way around this?

Losing mod 'customers'. Auto-update problems always turn out to be non-reproducible and/or intermittent. Due to that, I cannot debug them without hands-on access to the problematic machine, and errors miracously disappear when I add debugging statements.

Guest Scott

I just came across v4 on a thumb drive, and when I tried to install it (which works wonderfully well on my laptop), the Weidu auto-updater takes control and I get the same "too many open file" errors.

Guest Scott

I found this fix...hope it helps someone. Worked for me.

Yea, this mod installer is buggy for me too. This should get around all the problems of auto updating and error messages blocking install:

1. Install to an empty folder that is not your bg2 directory. You will get an error message that says it cannot find the .tlk file. Click enter to close the window.

2. Copy or cut the files from the folder and then paste them into your bg2 directory.

3. Run Setup-BG2_Tweaks.exe

4. If there is an auto-update problem try again, but there shouldn't be.

Guest Guest
Everything will be all right. If anyone else's got this problem right now, just quit your Setup-MyMod.exe and run Setup-MyMod.exe again in game directory.

Quit my Setup-MyMod.exe? uhh.. I dont get it. Whats that? :) Some mod manager?

Archived