Feedback, Typos, and Possible Bugs

Mike1072

I just finished a BG1 run in BGT, using a secret BG1NPC build I downloaded off cmorgan's site (shh, don't tell) when he posted "v15 has been submitted" around Christmas. :) Maybe these changes can make it into the real v15.

Surprisingly, this is the first time I've actually completed the game with BG1NPC, though I've been close before. I really liked Xan's romance, and am excited about its BG2 continuation. Khalid and Jaheira gave off a nice vibe, too, though I didn't hear quite as much from them.

And on to the typos:

~You find yourself in an old cavern deep underground, sketches of old, long forgotten gods painted on its walls. Blue and orange; your sense of taste cringes at the sight of these gaudy colors. You are moving along the narrow corridor, delving deeper into the labyrinth, and you know that there was a real possibility of not returning. You do not want to.

[snipped due to length]

~You find yourself in an old cavern deep underground, sketches of old, long forgotten gods painted on its walls. Blue and orange; your sense of taste cringes at the sight of these gaudy colors. You are moving along the narrow corridor, delving deeper into the labyrinth, and you know that there is a real possibility of not returning. You do not want to.

~Does every halfling enjoy living in his burrow and is content with five square meals a day and a pipe in the evening? Does every dwarf enjoy drudging through deep caverns, digging for gold and singing “hei ho hei ho” sixteen hours a day?~

~Does every halfling enjoy living in his burrow, having five square meals a day and a pipe in the evening? Does every dwarf enjoy drudging through deep caverns, digging for gold and singing “hei ho hei ho” sixteen hours a day?~

Other suggestions here would be very welcome.

~Strangers... get away from here... to the Tree House. Maretha... rescue her... don't bother with me...~

~Strangers... get away from here... to the tree house. Maretha... rescue her... don't bother with me...~

This is the sole 'tree house' version that uses capitals.

~We have accepted a quest to help the Druids of Cloakwood. Seniyad, an old acquaintance of Jaheira, sent us to find out what has happened to Beador and Maretha. We think that the leader of the Shadow Druids in Cloakwood, Amarande, has a new partner, Andarthe. Beador and Maretha may have fallen into the clutches of one of these Shadow Archdruids. We may need to bypass the TreeFort of the Shadow Druids, and find the island where they hold their secret meetings.~

~We have accepted a quest to help the Druids of Cloakwood. Seniyad, an old acquaintance of Jaheira, sent us to find out what has happened to Beador and Maretha. We think that the leader of the Shadow Druids in Cloakwood, Amarande, has a new partner, Andarthe. Beador and Maretha may have fallen into the clutches of one of these Shadow Archdruids. We may need to bypass the tree house of the Shadow Druids, and find the island where they hold their secret meetings.~

~I believe I recognize the tune. Cormyrian, is it not? The verse was something like that:

I love a maiden young as spring

Her eyes bloom as flowers green.~

~I believe I recognize the tune. Cormyrian, is it not? The verse was something like this:

I love a maiden young as spring

Her eyes bloom as flowers green.~

~Elf! The name was Kivan, if I am not mistaken. Bah! That's a proper treatment for you, if you stand in the corner with your cowl covering your face. But I never thanked you properly... Come, come, I'll show you what I have done with the spear you broke on these bothersome bandits who tried to force their way in. I am quite happy with the way the enchantment has turned out. I do not craft weapons, mind you. Bah! It's a gift. Take it, take it, elf.~

~Elf! The name was Kivan, if I am not mistaken. Bah! That's a proper treatment for you, if you stand in the corner with your cowl covering your face. But I never thanked you properly... Come, come, I'll show you what I have done with the spear you broke on those bothersome bandits who tried to force their way in. I am quite happy with the way the enchantment has turned out. I do not craft weapons, mind you. Bah! It's a gift. Take it, take it, elf.~

~*You sigh quietly but do not interrupt the elf.~

~*You sigh quietly but do not interrupt the elf.*~

~No that is not what I meant, Jaheira.~

~No, that is not what I meant, Jaheira.~

~Fair enough. We will be around Baldur's gate for a few days, but will check back in later.~

~Fair enough. We will be around Baldur's Gate for a few days, but will check back in later.~

~Peculiar, that I can almost empathize with my captor, now that I am not in chains. Almost, but not quite, for if we will not overwhelm him quickly, he would doubtless summon hordes of kobolds. They infest this warren, like maggots infest moldy bread. We do not stand a chance against such odds. ~

~Peculiar, that I can almost empathize with my captor, now that I am not in chains. Almost, but not quite, for if we do not overwhelm him quickly, he will doubtless summon hordes of kobolds. They infest this warren, like maggots infest moldy bread. We do not stand a chance against such odds. ~

~*sighs* Go ahead, ask me, why a mage carries a sword around.~

~*sighs* Go ahead, ask me why a mage carries a sword around.~

~Yep. Xan, why does a mage carry a sword around?~

~Okay. Xan, why does a mage carry a sword around?~

~The life is hollow, Jaheira. Deep down you understand it, druid, and thus you try to fill this void with whatever comes your way: fighting drills, spiritual rituals, marriage and many more besides.~

~Life is hollow, Jaheira. Deep down you understand this, druid, and thus you try to fill the void with whatever comes your way: fighting drills, spiritual rituals, marriage and much more besides.~

~It is time to rest, I see. I wish to say goodbyes, for it is possible neither of us will survive the night. Be it the hordes of the Underdark, or the legions of undead, they will creep on us in the dark, pierce our unseeing eyes, and this reverie will turn out to be the last.~

~It is time to rest, I see. I wish to say goodbyes, for it is possible neither of us will survive the night. Be it the hordes of the Underdark, or the legions of undead, they will creep upon us in the dark, pierce our unseeing eyes, and this reverie will turn out to be the last.~

This might not technically be wrong, but I prefer the change.

~*His lips are framing words you cannot understand, and you frown as you struggle to guess their meaning. Then you realise that Xan probably recites some Elven poetry, and by the way his eyes travel over your face, you suspect it is not about your upcoming death, not at all.*~

~*His lips are framing words you cannot understand, and you frown as you struggle to guess their meaning. Then you realise that Xan is probably reciting some Elven poetry, and by the way his eyes travel over your face, you suspect it is not about your upcoming death, not at all.*~

~*Xan touches your hand and says quietly, never taking his gaze from the blossoms.* They have just risen from the dead. The faintest flame, subtle fragrance, and vulnerable fragility... it is rare to find such glory in these lands. I dared not pick it up and kill it, but if I could hold this raw beauty, at least for a moment, I would. *sigh* However, it is not more possible than possessing starlight, or the wisps of the wind. We are but guests and pale shadows here, and when we are gone, the eternity is not even likely to notice.~

~*Xan touches your hand and starts speaking quietly, never taking his gaze from the blossoms.* They have just risen from the dead. The faintest flame, subtle fragrance, and vulnerable fragility... it is rare to find such glory in these lands. I dared not pick it up and kill it, but if I could hold this raw beauty, at least for a moment, I would. *sigh* However, it is not more possible than possessing starlight, or the wisps of the wind. We are but guests and pale shadows here, and when we are gone, the eternity is not even likely to notice.~

~*morosely* I thought that we have discussed the matter in full.~ [sLAVE02]

~*morosely* I thought that we had discussed the matter in full.~ [sLAVE02]

As far as bugs, in a talk with Kivan, a certain dialogue loop seemed unusual, and I couldn't tell if it was intentional or not.

Kivan: ~What, you are not entertained by listening to my past any longer?~

Reply1: ~How can you say that! I just... I cannot see you reliving this nightmare all over again. Please, Kivan, why are you doing this to yourself?~

Reply1 confusingly takes you back earlier in the dialogue, and he repeats his gruesome tale.

In Xan's "merchant" quest, Gael has a strange soundset assigned, including him repeating "What are you trying to say? Speak, and I shall see if I can help you." whenever he's damaged. And while not a bug, the scripts for some of the mercenaries (golmag01.bcs) seems to cause an awful lot of running away.

Anyway, thanks for a great mod. I have no doubt that I'll be playing it again soon.

Will you be my editor? :)

(Thinking of IWD NPC here, naturally).

I say yes to all Xan changes in my dialogue(x#xanlt, bg1npc.tra). I defer to cmorgan for the rest of the Xan dialogue, but I would say "yes" to all of them, too, except for "Okay" - I'd recommend against it in FR setting, and even though Bioware used it once or twice, I still say no.

In Xan's "merchant" quest, Gael has a strange soundset assigned, including him repeating "What are you trying to say? Speak, and I shall see if I can help you." whenever he's damaged. And while not a bug, the scripts for some of the mercenaries (golmag01.bcs) seems to cause an awful lot of running away.

I guess the sound varies between BGT and Tutu.

As for running away, I don't know about other players, but I liked this bit: they are scattering and taking position, and even though the scripts are fairly primitive, it looks strategic, and difficult to battle. (Then again, it would be strange if I didn't like my own code).

Wicked cool awesome, Mike1072 - you rock. I will integrate this evening as per Kulyok's ok.

The soundsets thing is probably the soundset strings not lining up - I just glanced at the tp2, and this set of actors has not yet had its soundset .tra'd and unused blanked, so I will do that (if someone installs Tutu v4 over SoA aor Tutu v4 over ToB, for example, the strings are misaligned, so the safest thing to do is always blank and .tra so tthey match on all platforms).

And with any luck, there will be an almost - ready - to - go - version up at the sekret site tonight

Will you be my editor? :)

(Thinking of IWD NPC here, naturally).

I'd be happy to beta test. :D Beware that I have a history of not getting far in IWD games, though.

I say yes to all Xan changes in my dialogue(x#xanlt, bg1npc.tra). I defer to cmorgan for the rest of the Xan dialogue, but I would say "yes" to all of them, too, except for "Okay" - I'd recommend against it in FR setting, and even though Bioware used it once or twice, I still say no.

Perhaps "Sure" or "All right" could be used instead?

As for running away, I don't know about other players, but I liked this bit: they are scattering and taking position, and even though the scripts are fairly primitive, it looks strategic, and difficult to battle. (Then again, it would be strange if I didn't like my own code).

I encountered this quite late in the game, so I was able to disable most of them with a spell and then had to chase down the rest, who seemed to be scrambling in panic (which might be realistic for mercenaries about to be killed). All in all, it wasn't a big deal, it just seemed a little easier than the other battles I'd been fighting recently.

I'd be happy to beta test. :) Beware that I have a history of not getting far in IWD games, though.

Myahahahaha! Not this time! Seriously, thanks. :)

Perhaps "Sure" or "All right" could be used instead?

"All right" is perfect.

I encountered this quite late in the game, so I was able to disable most of them with a spell and then had to chase down the rest, who seemed to be scrambling in panic (which might be realistic for mercenaries about to be killed). All in all, it wasn't a big deal, it just seemed a little easier than the other battles I'd been fighting recently.

And I was afraid it would be too difficult. Good news, I suppose - in a way. :D And thank you very much for your feedback and your reports!

And I was afraid it would be too difficult. Good news, I suppose - in a way. :) And thank you very much for your feedback and your reports!

No problem. By yours and cmorgan's enthusiastic responses, I'm guessing that this is a good format for reporting typos?

Just starting to integrate - will post soonest.

> Got the "All right" and will repair;

> got berelinde's partial I_C_T3 etc. materials to winmerge;

> looking up soundset info for the Moonblade Quest NPCs using EasyTutu_ToB via NI, to build tp2 references.

For BG1 NPC, Mike1072, post away with any comments/typos, etc. We appreciate it, and it helps folks coming over to report stuff see whether it has been addressed or not. Plus, it is a community project, so it gives the authors the opportunity to give feedback directly.

If all goes well (it never does, but just like Moist von Lipwig, I can always hope) then I should have an internal up for checking/testing within the next 3 to 4 hours. It will be labled BG1NPCv15A.rar.

Folks checking, please note that this is *not* the final version... we still have some I_C_T2 materials to reformat and then test; but if folks have bug reports/typos, now is a really, really good time to get them addressed.

You are moving along the narrow corridor, delving deeper into the labyrinth, and you know that there is a real possibility of not returning. You do not want to.
Aside from violating a standard (if anal) English rule of not ending a sentence with a preposition, "You do not want to" what? To return? To move onward?
This is the sole 'tree house' version that uses capitals.
Pretty sure I corrected this, though cmorgan may have not gotten to it yet at that point. Then again, I may have missed some things - I only scanned it for glaring errors.
some Elven poetry
By BG1NPC's own rules, elven should be lowercase, unless it's some specific compilation of elven poetry.

Archived