Expanded Character Sketches

icelus

Character Czar: Blucher

Imoen.

Years ago, Winthrop was a moderately successful adventuring thief with a knack for staying alive.  Always something of a loner, Winthrop eventually teamed up, and fell in love with, a high-spirited bard named Myreth.  Together, the two rogues journeyed across much of Faerun seeing many lands and peoples, always one step ahead of the law.  Sadly, their luck ran out one day and Myreth was slain in the aftermath of a botched scheme.  Winthrop was devastated and wandered listlessly making his way to the rough, frontier town of Luskan.

In Luskan, Winthrop found Imoen, a dirty, parentless street urchin about six years of age.  She immediately captured his heart, seeing in her the child he and Myreth never had.  With a child to care for, Wintrhop found a new reason to live.  He retired from adventuring and took up various ‘respectable’ professions.  His roguish nature, however, always ended up with him getting in trouble of one sort or another.  He and Imoen traveled from town to town in this manner for several years.  In this time, Winthrop began teaching her many ‘skills’ to help them make money.

Realizing that life on the road was no way to raise a child, Winthrop planned one last heist.  He chose as his mark a wealthy member of Waterdeep’s underground, a loan-shark named Neville.  The heist was a success and he made off with a tidy sum of gold, gems and a few choice items.  The getaway was clean and no one suspected him at the time, but he was still canny enough to leave town just in case.

Winthrop and Imoen journeyed south again making their way to Candlekeep where he sold a rare book, once the property of Neville and the last of his ‘traceable’ loot.  In Candlekeep, Winthrop’s luck proved good, for there he found a golden opportunity.  The former owner of the Candlekeep Inn was of a mind to sell the place and retire to warmer climes.  Taking the bulk of his coin, Winthrop purchased the inn and finally retired from his vagabond life.  Imoen was ten years old at this time.

Imoen was never truly successful fitting into her life in Candlekeep.  Though a popular child, her high-spiritness caused her to chafe at the restrictive life in the Keep. She quickly developed a friendship with Charname, seeing in him/her a kindred spirit, another orphan like herself.

Imoen proved to be a very intelligent child, though always a source of frustration for her mentors.  She would rather daydream and read romances and tales of adventure than truly apply herself to her studies.  She also balked at becoming a ‘lady’ and, rather, exaggerated her ‘lower class’ image (and Winthrop, though he tried, was hardly very helpful in this).  Her pranks in Candlekeep (often getting Charname in more trouble) were legendary, though her charm and honest good nature always kept her from getting into any real difficulties.

One day she chanced to spy a secretive messenger with a letter for Gorion.  Sneaking into Gorion’s study was easy enough for her and she read the letter, finding out that Gorion and Charname were likely soon to leave on some mysterious quest.  She decided then to follow Charname and Gorion, not only because this might be her chance to finally take part in a ‘real’ adventure, but also because she worried for Charname’s safety and didn’t want to be without her best friend.  Her plan was to follow from a distance until Gorion was forced to accept her company.  On the night of Gorion’s death, she left a letter for Winthrop, knowing he would not allow her to leave and snuck out of the Keep.  Her story (and Charname’s) begins here.

Throughout the game, Imoen is Charname’s most loyal and trustworthy companion.  Even in the case of an evil Charname, Imoen always holds out hope that he/she can be redeemed.  And besides, if she’s not there for him/her, then who would be?  She knows that Winthrop was not always the best fellow, and yet he turned out all right in the end.  She will always remain hopeful, if not particularly pleased, if Charname succumbs to his/her father’s taint.  In the case of a good Charname, she will obviously be quite pleased.  To her, adventuring is ‘fun’ and despite the seriousness of it all at times, she always manages to make the best of it.

At one point (when she reaches seventh level as a thief), Imoen will express a desire to learn magic.  She does this for several reasons.  One, she’s intrigued by magic and the challenges of learning it; two, she feels that, as a mage, she’d be a more versatile and useful member of the party; and finally, three, she feels that the notion of being not just a thief but also a mage is ‘grander’ somehow and more heroic and mysterious.  Around this time she’d begin to shed her ‘lower class’ image and assume the more ‘middle-class’ image more familiar to BG2 players.  (In the game, at 7th level, she will initiate dialogue with the PC, and possibly any magic-using party members like Dynaheir, about her desire to learn magic.)

Imoen’s thoughts on the other possible party members:

Kivan: Imoen feels sympathy for Kivan, who lost his wife at the hands of Tazok.  She’s knows he’s a good man, who is burning away with vengeance.  She also thinks the notion of someone avenging a lost love is very romanctic, though she won’t say this out of respect.

Alora:  Imoen likes Alora, seeing in her the chance to play ‘big sister’ for a change.  Despite Alora’s more abundant natural abilities in the thieving arts, Imoen will try to take Alora under her wing hoping to impart some intelligence and wisdom to the childish halfling (though it would be more like the blind leading the blind).

Minsc: At first, Minsc would frighten Imoen and make her feel uneasy.  After a while, however, his good nature and gentleness (to his friends) would win her over.  She also find Boo adorable.

Dynaheir:  Imoen is deferential to Dynaheir, and next to Charname, accepts taking orders from her more than anyone.  Dynaheir is the most likely person Imoen would turn to when she’s wants questions answered about magic.

Yeslick:  Imoen sees Yeslick as a kindly, dotting old grampa.  She might even call him ‘gramps’ and pester him to tell her stories.

Coran: Imoen would like Coran, seeing in him the dashing rogue she imagines herself to be, though she wouldn’t allow herself to be charmed in a romantic sense by him.  She may try to emulate him for a while.  She’d be a bit disappointed by and disillusioned with him when he fails to care for his child, however.

Ajantis: Imoen would have fun teasing Ajantis, perhaps flustering him with flirting much like she does with Keldorn in BG2.  She’ll express hope that he does attain his wish of being knighted.

Khalid:  Imoen sees Khalid as a responsible authority figure, perhaps even referring to him as ‘Uncle Khalid’.  His kind nature meshes well with her own.  Imoen is intrigued by all secrets and when she finds out that Khalid and Jaheira are Harpers she will try to coax information about the mysterious group from him, rightfully thinking that Khalid would be an easier source of information than Jaheira.

Jaheira: While Imoen respects Jaheira, she’ll never feel very close to her.  Jaheira’s bossiness rubs her the wrong way and she wouldn’t appreciate any attempts on Jaheira’s part to usurp Charname’s authority over the group.  Imoen would also be irritated if Jaheira, in particular, views her as a child.

Garrick:  Imoen doesn’t really know what to make of Garrick, thinking he’s a bit of an airhead, though she loves his music and tales.  She may try to make up a few of her own, ridiculous, stories and tell them to him.

Safana: Imoen might feel a tinge of jealousy regarding Safana, even if she has no designs on any of the male party members.  She certainly wouldn’t trust Safana very much, though she’s unsure if it’s because of her dislike of Safana’s manner or because Safana just really isn’t very trustworthy.

Faldorn: Imoen thinks Faldorn is kind of creepy and doesn’t agree with Faldorn’s beliefs.

Branwen: Imoen trusts Branwen’s bravery but worries about her recklessness in battle.

Quayle: Imoen would enjoy taking him down a peg or two.

Xan: Imoen would try to get him to lighten up and might have fun mimicking his gloominess.

Skie:  Imoen alternately sees Skie as a hopeless case or possible friend.  They do share quite a bit in common.

Edloth:  Eldoth is a total creep as far as Imoen is concerned.  He may be a talented bard, but that’s not enough to outweigh his less desirable traits.  Imoen will try to set Eldoth up for a fall (perhaps wanting to help Skie), though this will backfire on her.

Xzar: Xzar, not really trusting that his lunacy makes him less dangerous, frightens Imoen.  The less attention Xzar gives her, the better as far as she’s concerned.  She would likely try to convince Charname to let him go.

Montaron:  Imoen would at first wonder how Montaron could be such a jerk, when all of the other halflings she has met have been fairly nice.  After a while, she’d just ignore him, hoping he’d go away.

Tiax: Imoen can’t take Tiax seriously, even though he’s an evil little so-and-so.  She’d pester him mercilessly.

Kagain:  Imoen sees in Kagain a deadly combination of toughness, greediness and intelligence.  She’d be on the look out for any signs of treachery.

Shar-Teel:  Shar-Teel intimidates Imoen.  She’d be very curious about the reasons behind Shar-Teel’s hatred of men, however, so she may muster up enough courage to try to find out why.

Edwin: Imoen sees Edwin as being long on talk and short on action.  Though evil, he doesn’t worry her much.  She may even tease him a bit.

Viconia:  At first Imoen would be wary of Viconia and would probably rather see her go away after saving her from the Flaming Fist.  I have the feeling Imoen’s wisdom eventually fails her in this case and Viconia manages to pull the wool over her eyes, convincing her that she’s ultimately trust-worthy.

Older Info: Imoen in BG1 shares only the most basic traits with her BG2 incarnation. She's much more inclined to speak cant and is more 'lower-class' than the 'middle-class' BG2 Imoen. For whatever reason she feels a closeness to the PC and is very loyal to him/her. She may get mad or unhappy with Charname, but never for long. BG1 Imoen is much more innocent than BG2 Imoen, not having suffered at the hands of Irenicus. She also seems to be more mercurial and given to poutiness (read her .dlgs and listen to her .wav files). As always, she is very mischievous as well, even more so, I think than BG2-ToB Imoen. A few possible ideas to explore: Why did she leave home and everything she had to follow CharName? Does she ever get homesick? Why did she become a thief? How could such a good person be a thief? What does she think of magic (given that she is dual-classed in BG2)? What kinds of trouble will she cause (should be a lot)? Who are the NPCs she likes and dislikes? What's her relationship with each? What does she think about their quest and CharName's strange dreams and powers? Eventually she becomes Charname's best friend and both view each other as siblings even though they 'know' they aren't, how would this play out?

Biography.

When asked about her past, IMOEN slaps your shoulder playfully. She says that you of all people should know, seeing as how you grew up together. Indeed, some of your fondest memories are of meeting this sprightly young lass. She apparently came to Candlekeep much as you did, though 10 years later in life, and she spent much more time with the gruff Winthrop than Gorion. "Puffguts" she would call him, much to the old innkeep's dismay.  She seems the eternal child, and is quite content to play the part of little sister, though you are both of comparative ages. You can tell by her hearty smile that she will always be willing to travel with you, no matter what path you take.

Character Sheet.

Imoen: female, human, thief, neutral-good.  Str 09, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 17, Wis 11, Cha 16.

Special(s): Not a special, but Imoen's ability scores allow her to be dual classed to mage.

Sample Dialogue (from the game).

Imoen.

I'm surprised that stuffy ol' Gorion let you away from your studies and chores. That ol' fiddle faddle. I snuck off too. Old Puffguts Winthrop was looking for me, but I've got all day to do his chores. You have time for a story today?  No, I can tell you don't.  What have ya been up to?

Little one?  I'm not much younger than you, though you sure got tall fast.  Relatively, anyway.  A journey, eh?  I never get to travel.  Wish I could go with ya.  Yep, I really wish I could.  Yessir.  Really do.

Child?  You are only a few seasons older.  Hrmph!  I didn't care where you were off to anyway. Nope, not at all.  You just run along on your little errand.

If you say so.  You sure picked up a lot from old Gorion.  He never tells it straight neither.  Good luck on your trip...er...i mean, good luck with whatever you are doing.

No need to get all rude.  We're friends, so you just have to say butt out and I will.  I can take a hint as quick as I can take a wallet.  You go on, and maybe I'll see you later...

If that's the way you want it then fine.  Get lost you smelly ol' gully napper!

Oh don't be silly, Gorion would never even let you finish the sentence.  Especially after what that letter of his said...er...did I say that?  No, of course I didn't.  Never saw no letter.  Nope.  I'll just get back to work now.  You had better go.  Gorion is waiting.

Oh I know.  Old stick-in-the-mud that he his, all worried about nothing, I'm sure.  Better go now, 'cause you've got a long ways to travel...not...not that I would know, especially since I didn't peek at old Mr. G's private letters.  No sir.  Better go now, byebye.

Well that was certainly rude, you rumduke.  Fine, I'll stay here and mind my own beeswax.  You better get going...don't want to keep Mr. G waiting.

Don't keep Mr. G waiting now.  C'mon you, get going!

Sorry I followed ya, but I never get out of Candlekeep and those monks are such a bore.  Never any decent coin in their pockets neither.  I...I saw Gorion, and I am SO sorry!  Kinda figured something bad might happen to you out here.

I...accidentally...read a letter on his desk the other day.  Can't remember exactly what it said, but he might still have...it might be on his...his body.  Anyway, I'm not gonna let you wander around out here all alone.  Never let a friend down, no sir!  Stick with you until you say otherwise, I will!

Well...that's just fine!  But even though you might not think so, you need me.  SO despite anything you say, I'm coming with you.  So there!

I s'pose I'll be going. We're friends and all, but I guess I'll just wait 'till you change yer tune. I'll be around when you do.

Well good!  You've changed since we were friends anyway.  Not nearly as much fun now.  Should have stayed in Candlekeep, instead of wasting time with you gulley pennies.

Just...just like that?  But we are friends and everything!  Been friends for years!  I guess...I guess I'll just wait 'till you need me again, because you will!  Just wait and see!

You old rumjake fool!  I knew you'd be back!  Lets get back to travelling the good road, eh?

Oh fine!  I'll just pester about around here until you realize you can't live without little Imoen.  You know you will.

You bet!  We'll nick ourselves a whole purse o' fun before the night is through!

[IMOEN 15] Heya!  It's me Imoen.  
[IMOEN 25] Gettin' out alive I am.
[IMOEN 10] Mutton mongerin riff raff.
[IMOEN 9] Yer all buffle headed.
[IMOEN 11] -Yawn- I'm gettin a little sleepy.
[IMOEN 5] Booooorrrring.
[IMOEN 18] My blade will cut you down to size!
[IMOEN 2] I feel so cold.
[IMOEN 19] 'Tis something most unnatural here and I want no part of it.
[IMOEN 26] I care not.
[IMOEN 3] Yep?
[IMOEN 4] Whatcha want?
[IMOEN 6] Yer a queer fellow.
[IMOEN 24] This way.
[IMOEN 17] I've done had enough of this.
[IMOEN 7] Iam gone.
[IMOEN 8] Do ya wanna tell me a story 'bout trollops an plug tails?  Please?
[IMOEN 28] I know nothing more, so leave me to go.
[IMOEN 27] Good on you if you save the day.
[IMOEN 30] Back home, Puff-Guts would always tell me a story.
[IMOEN 14] Poor sod, takin' the dirt-nap so soon.

Character Czar: Dan (Eldoth)

Character Czar: Weyoun (Skie).

Eldoth.

He's a classic sociopath and all-around bastard. A womanizing, arrogant and verbally abusive bard with the soul of a con man, what does he get out of travelling with Charname? Apparently, his normal mode of operation is to charm some gullible, rich woman and use her for money and influence, at least until he is bored or the free ride ends. I don't see much room for depth here, but a sub-plot involving Skie could be in the cards, esp. if Garrick is in the party. More room here for additional quests, esp. for evil characters, similar to his extortion scheme involving Skie's family. Perhaps a former victim may come back for revenge?

Skie.

Skie is a well-read, intelligent lady with a streak of naivety in her character. She has grown up as the daughter of Lord and Lady Silvershield in Baldur's Gate, and was kept far away from the troubles of the bustling city on the Chiontar river. Skie spend most of her childhood in the gardens of her estate, her loving mother being her only playmate and constant companion. She took a keen interest in ballet in her younger days and became an expert dancer quickly, but as she grew into her teens, she became interested in the history of the Realms. Spending most of her time alone in the library of her father's estate, learning languages and more history, the world slid by her unnoticed as she came of age.

The death of her mother would be a serious blow to Skie, who suddenly found herself without a confidante. With her father's busy life as a rule and no real friends, Skie suddenly became to regard her home as a prison. A pleasant prison, but a prison nonetheless. So it would become that Skie left her home in the middle of the night to take her first unsupervised steps outside of the Estate. She quickly became infatuated with the common life, finding it simple, yet exciting. During one of these sojourns, she met Eldoth Kron, who considered her a 'prime target' for his schemes.

Skie's notion of adventure and adventuring is very much idealized and glamorous. Most of her knowledge of the Life comes from the overdrawn history-books she used to study, has no true experience in the way of adventure and will ignore the darker sides of the Life even when confronted with them. In a way, she still expects the luxury of her old life, even when on the road. Skie had never experienced true hardship and has never experienced combat outside of controlled conditions before meeting the PC and friends, which might cause some tention between her and the more experienced adventurers in the party.

Quest idea:

Well, it's related to her father's death. She will come to realize that she is truly alone now, and has a decision to make. In a way, the revelation that her father is dead will put both her feet firmly on the ground. She is truly alone now, even moreso when Eldoth finds out he can no longer blackmail Skie's father Entar and dumps her. Now, Skie must decide wether she will follow the life her father intended for her, or embrace adventuring in its totality, both lighter and darker moments. It'll be fun to have the PC help to decide her fate.

Well, that takes place in chapter 7, near the end of the game, but I think it can be done with a series of 3 PC-NPC banters at key points, the last one being Sarevok flees the Ducal palace. If she chooses her father's life, she'll turn from CN to LN and if chooses to adventure she turns from CN to CG. In any case, she promises to stay until after Sarevok has been defeated.

As an added extra, if Garrick is in the party, she might opt to allow his courtship.

Stats:

11, 18, 15, 15, 8, 13

Skie's relation to other partymembers :

Ajantis : Somehow, I think there would be a duality in her relationship to Ajantis. On the one hand, they would have mutual distrust because of Ajantis' aversion to thieves, but on the other hand, as a paladin, he would represent the ideal image of adventuring that she has. They could have some interesting conversations.

Alora : I think they'd get along fine. Alora won't be judgmental towards her, though Skie'd probably be even more naive than she is. ;) I think Alora would see through Eldoth's deception, and would try to warn her about him. Of course, Skie will sadly not believe her.

Branwen : I think they'd relate on a professional level... somewhat at least. Branwen might try to help Skie improve her skills at combat through some drilling, perhaps.

Coran : There'd probably be some flirting, but poor Skie will only have eyes for Eldoth.

Dynaheir : Hmmm, they'd probably be antagonistic. Her bio already said she is demanding of her companions. There's a good chance she'll see Skie as a rank amateur and not worthy of being part of the group.

Edwin : Hm, that's a toughie... He'd probably be appreciative of Skie's learned background, but will slam down hard on her naive way of seeing the world. Naturally, Skie won't like being insulted.

Eldoth : Obviously Skie trusts him implicitly, despite his bad treatments of her and constant dismissals. She'll even go as far as to defend his actions to others who would accuse him. To Skie, Eldoth presents a way to what she considers, the fast life.

Faldorn : As a city-girl, Skie and Faldorn would have very little to talk about, though she'd be slighty intrigued and perhaps a bit disdainful of Faldorn's forest-dwelling ways.

Garrick : It'd be interesting to work on the romantic feelings Garrick harbors towards Skie, but until Skie lets go of Eldoth, she'll rebuff all of Garricks attempts at romance. They might get together after Skie drops Eldoth in Chapter 7, perhaps.

Imoen : Imoen and Skie are definitely friendship material. As a more common girl, Imoen has an entirely different view on life than Skie has. And as much as Skie would be intrigued by life as a commoner, Imoen could be intrigued in Skie's old life as a pampered noble.

Jaheira : Most likely Jaheira would 'mother' Skie. She'd try to keep her out of trouble when things get though, though Skie won't be really appreciative of Jaheira's advice, I think.

Kagain : Hmmm, there was this quest in the original game when he was hired to track down Entar's son. He gave up pretty quickly, though, so Skie might have some questions about the wherabouts of her brother.

Khalid : Skie will like Khalid, seeing in him a gentle soul. Should Khalid warn her about Eldoth, she will still not believe him.

Kivan : I suspect there'd be a great deal of antagonism between them, at the very least. She hasn't seen any hardship in her life and expects a life of adventure to be exciting and joyful, which might not go over well with him, seeing how much hardship he has suffered. I think she'll try to make friends with him, though.

Minsc : Skie will undoubtedly see her as a friend, especially if the bug lug looks out for her from time to time.

Montaron : Hmmm, I'm not sure. Maybe they'd have some things to discuss on a professional level, but I don't see them becoming friends in the near future. ;)

Quayle : Ah, now this should be fun to write. Of course Quayle is trying to be all pompeous and intellectual around her, showing off. But I Skie would probably just giggle, considering him to be 'a funny old gnome', much to Quayle aggrevation.

Safana : Hmm, they'd have plenty to talk about. Like Skie, Safana is a noble's daughter who has run away from home. In a way, Safana is what Skie might become.

Shar-Teel : They're not going to like each other, period. ;) Shar-Teel hates Eldoth and will probably look down on Skie for hanging around him so much.

Viconia : Same as Shar-Teel, Viconia will probably not like Skie because of her worship of Eldoth. Viconia might try to convince Skie to take a more active role in her relationship with Eldoth, but I don't think Skie will bite.

Yeslick : They'd be friendly, I think, but Skie will mostly feel sad for him that he's lost so much.

Xan : I think Xan's pessimism will clash nicely with Skie's idealized view of adventure. Comedy potential there. ;)

Xzar : I don't think Skie'd want to be anywhere near this guy. Hell, I wouldn't like to be anywhere near this guy. ;)

Biography.

When asked about his past, ELDOTH speaks as though his every word should impress and dazzle. He really seems to enjoy talking about himself. He is apparently from the island kingdom of Ruathym, though he left as a teenager for the city of Waterdeep. His natural affinity for song and poetry was honed to perfection while he trained at the musical college of New Olamn, supporting himself with gold borrowed from any one of his given lovers. It would seem that his skill in music is mirrored with his talent in the manipulation of others' emotions. He skims over explaining how he came to leave Waterdeep, but it was apparently the result of an attempted tryst with Aleena Palidinstar. Piergeiron, lord of the city, discovered that his daughter was being used by a manipulative dilettante and likely became quite furious. Eldoth probably had to flee the city, deciding it was time to use his bardic skills elsewhere.

When asked about her past, SKIE bubbles that she is the daughter of Entar Silvershield, one of the Grand Dukes of Baldur's Gate. Her admittedly sheltered life has consisted mostly of learning ballet, history, and languages. Being exceptionally agile she has become a very proficient dancer, though this natural dexterity has mainly allowed her to better sneak off on sojourns away from the estate. She says she finds the nastier areas of Baldur's Gate exciting, though she seems naive about the dangers. On one of her escapades she met up with the debonair Eldoth, and thinks that he can help her live the life of adventure that she craves. She trusts him implicitly, perhaps too much so.

Character Sheet.

Eldoth: male, human, bard, neutral-evil.  Str 16, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 16.

Skie: female, human, thief, neutral-neutral.  Str 11, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 15, Wis 08, Cha 13.

Special(s): Eldoth has a once/day create poisoned arrows ability (5 arrows).

Eldoth.

It is  a surprise to find such beautiful people wandering these woods.  All of you look rather weary, down on your times I might say.  Why don't we all rest and I'll treat you to some refreshments, perhaps some Berduskan amber wine?

Sorry if I seem out of breath, but I had to retreat from a battle.  I was ambushed by a dozen gnolls farther back on the trail.  I handily dispatched them but thought better of fighting their half dozen ogre friends.  I think I've evaded them for now.  Would any of you care for a drink of some fine Selgauntian brandy?

I must take my leave now.

Well, you needn't be so rude, I apologize for offering my hospitality.

All right, lets go about this again.  Join me for a drink.

I hope you are enjoying your liquor, it is some of the best you can find.  All of you are probably wondering why I'm being so generous, 'obviously not from the kindness of his heart' you think. Well in a way I am.  You look like the type to be on the outlook for ways to improve the quality of  your life.  Well, I have a proposal that could help you in that endeavor.  You see, there's a girl, my lover in fact, who desires to escape her father and live on her own.  Her father is Entar Silvershield, one of the Dukes of Baldur's Gate.  This, of course, makes her desires more difficult than that of the average city girl.  However, with your assistance we could help her escape the tyrannical clutches of Entar.  Here's the punch line: since Entar's going to be hunting us anyway we can blackmail him for hordes of cash and not worry about our captive escaping.  After all, we're doing it all for the sake of Skie.  Now we needn't go about this right away, in fact I'll help you with whatever you're doing until you decide to head up to Baldur's Gate.  Just think of it as one favor deserving another.

You're missing the opportunity of your life.

I'm glad you're all savvy enough to recognize a good opportunity when it comes.

I have to make a visit to the Blade and Stars tavern to pick up the ransom money for this week.  I'll be right back.

Please don't bother me, unless of course, you've changed your mind about my proposal and desire my companionship.  We can discuss it over some Aluryath wine.

Do you remember our agreement?  You had agreed to help me kidnap Skie from the estate of Entar Silvershield.  Well, I think this is the perfect opportunity.   I could take us to the estate right now.

You had agreed, if you're not going to live up to your part of the bargain, I'll find someone else who will.

Just follow me.

Aren't you coming?

This is the estate right here.  Skie has told me that there is a secret door in the northern section of the wall.  I'll find it.

We should sneak in and find her room.  Once there, we'll sneak her out.  We shouldn't kill any guards, as that will bring the wrath of the Flaming Fist down on our heads.

When the word stupidity was introduced to the language, they must have had you in mind.  I'm not going to be a part of this group.

Skie!  It's good to see you again, we're here to get you away from this place.  These people with me are friends of mine; we're what you might call adventurers.

Let's get out of this place as soon as possible.

If you won't have Skie, then there's no place for me with you either.

I've got in contact with one of Entar Silvershield's agents.  Seems dad is quite worried about his little girl.  He's so worried that's he's willing to pay good money to make sure no harm comes to her.  Every two days we're to go to the Blade and Stars and meet with someone named 'Elkart'.  Elkart will give us the ransom money, and we can be on our way.

I'm back!  I hope you all missed me dearly.

I would rather travel alone than spend a second more with you boorish oafs.  Goodbye, and good riddance.

I would rather travel alone than spend a second more with you boorish oafs.  Goodbye, and good riddance.  Come along Skie.

It is a pity.  Our time together has been thoroughly charming.  Perhaps we will meet again?  Come along Skie.

I thought you would be crawling back.  Don't be ashamed, I am quite used to it.  Shall we continue on together?

I thought as much.  Lead on, and wake me whenever we get wherever it is we are going.

Really?  So be it.  I'm sure I'll be somewhere around here if you wish my company.  I'll try not to make you look to hard.

Well, as your best friend I can tell you a few things.  There's been some economic troubles in Baldur's Gate.  There's been a lack of iron, and with the tensions between Amn and Baldur's Gate, this has been causing some concern.  A mercantile organization called the Iron Throne has been making some headway within the economic circles of Baldur's Gate.

Skie, my little angel, a woman should know her place. [ELDOT27]

Skie, don't bother me right now. [ELDOT28]

Be silent Skie, it's not like your opinion is worth anything. [ELDOT29]

Shar-Teel, your lot in life is to bake cookies and bear children, now shut up. [ELDOT30]

Stop your whining wench. [ELDOT31]

The first duty in life is to be as artificial as possible.

Only shallow people don't judge by appearance.

There is no good or evil, only the charming and the tedious.

[ELDOTH 1] Gentlemen, gentlewomen, may I introduce myself, I am Eldoth Kron.
[ELDOTH 2] Better a coward than a dead man.
[ELDOTH 4] I am glad to be associated with such a fine group of gentlemen.
[ELDOTH 5] This party's direction seems to be somewhat misguided.
[ELDOTH 6] I don't know how much longer I can bear the company of so many fools.
[ELDOTH 7] Goodbye now, hope to never see you again.
[ELDOTH 8] I take this responsibility knowing I am best suited for it.
[ELDOTH 9] I think it would be well to stop and rest.
[ELDOTH 10] If I wanted to live a life of tedium, I would have become a monk.
[ELDOTH 3] If we must.
[ELDOTH 11] Help, my injuries are grievous.
[ELDOTH 17] You're so dull.
[ELDOTH 18] What's your worry.
[ELDOTH 19] Don't bore me.
[ELDOTH 20] As you command.
[ELDOTH 21] Certainly.
[ELDOTH 22] This is so tedious.
[ELDOTH 23] There is no evil but stupidity.
[ELDOTH 24] There is no good or evil, only the charming and the tedious.
[ELDOTH 25] Only shallow people don't judge by appearance.
[ELDOTH 26] The first duty in life is to be as artificial as possible.
[ELDOTH 27] Skie, my little angel, a woman should know her place.
[ELDOTH 28] Skie, don't bother me right now.
[ELDOTH 29] Be silent Skie, it's not like your opinion is worth anything.
[ELDOTH 30] Shar-Teel, your lot in life is to bake cookies and bear children, now shut up.
[ELDOTH 31] Stop your whining wench.
[ELDOTH 36] Try to keep quiet and speak only when spoken to.
[ELDOTH 37] You must be the most uninteresting person I have had the honor of knowing.
[ELDOTH 35] Perhaps we could talk over wine tonight.  I've never met a lady such as you and am desirous to know you better.
[ELDOTH 40] Too bad.
[ELDOTH 41] The wench had it coming.
[ELDOTH 33] I knew that.
[ELDOTH 32] Your wit is somewhat lacking.
[ELDOTH 34] Don't try my patience.
[ELDOTH POST]  Please don't bother me you ignorant savages.

Skie.

Eldoth!  I thought I'd never see you again. Who are you?  What are you doing here? [SKIEE01]

Who are you?  What are you doing here? [SKIEE01A]

Who are you?  Help!  Help!

I won't leave unless Eldoth comes to get me.

Help!  The estate is under attack!  Help!

Okay, but I'm not going to leave until he's here.

Thank you for your help!  I am so happy to be away from that horrid place.  Eldoth told me that you were adventurers.  Perhaps you would let me join your party?

Thanks, I'll be the best adventurer you've ever seen!

I'm not a brat, Eldoth you tell them.

You...you don't want me anymore?  But...but where will I go?  Oh, this hasn't worked out like I'd hoped at all.  You'll come back for me...right?  Eldoth, you'll stay with me, won't you?  Please?

Fine!  I was going to leave soon anyway!  You're really not the kind of people I should be travelling with.  Eldoth is better company than you anyway.

Thank goodness you've returned!  It's just not safe for us to travel separately.  Please, can we rejoin?

If...if that's the way you want it.  I guess I'll just...wait here then?

Thank you so much!  I was so scared.  This is nothing like life in the city.

My father never let me out much.  I don't think there is anything I could tell you that would help you.

Eldoth, why do you treat our companions so badly? [SKIEE27]

I love you Eldoth. [SKIEE28]

Why do you always have to make fun of me!  I hate you!  Get away from me! [SKIEE29]

I'd love to hear your music Garrick. [SKIEE30]

Eldoth is a kind man.  He cares about me Garrick. [SKIEE31]

[SKIE 2] Please, heeeeeelp me!
[SKIE 5] I don't think what we're doing is morally right.
[SKIE 6] All of you are such pigs.
[SKIE 7] I can't take this any more, I'm going back home.
[SKIE 8] I don't know if I can handle this leadership thing, but I'm going to try.
[SKIE 9] I'm getting tired, couldn't we take a rest soon?
[SKIE 10] I'm so bored.
[SKIE 11] Ahhhh, I'm hurt.  Heeelllppp!
[SKIE 17] Can I help you?
[SKIE 18] I broke a nail.
[SKIE 19] I've mussed my hair. 
[SKIE 20] My feet hurt.
[SKIE 21] I have a cold.
[SKIE 22] I have a headache.
[SKIE 23] Do you like my perfume.
[SKIE 24] It's been so long since I've had a hot meal.
[SKIE 25] Lets go shopping!
[SKIE 26] I want to go home.
[SKIE 27] Eldoth, why do you treat our companions so badly?
[SKIE 28] I love you Eldoth.
[SKIE 29] Why do you always have to make fun of me!  I hate you!  Get away from me!
[SKIE 30] I'd love to hear your music Garrick.
[SKIE 31] Eldoth is a kind man.  He cares about me Garrick.
[SKIE 35] You're a good friend.
[SKIE 36] I feel safe with you in the party.
[SKIE 37] I think you're a beautiful person.
[SKIE 40] 'sniffle' I can't believe he's dead.
[SKIE 41] What am I going to do 'sniffle', you can't die Eldoth, you can't.
[SKIE 34] Th-thank you, you're very kind.
[SKIE 32] I'm sorry, did I do something wrong?
[SKIE 33] Eldoth, tell them to stop being so cruel.

Character Czar: Turkish Delight.

Tiax.

SKETCH/HISTORY:

The demented little Gnome who today calls himself 'Tiax' was always a bit egotistical, though his madness is a recent phenomenon. His true name is Telliax Goldstone, a Gnome hailing from Athkatla, capital of the nation of Amn. Gnomes aren't uncommon in Athkatla, but among them Telliax's father, a poor blacksmith by the name of Keslen Goldstone, stood out. Not content with the poverty his family lived under, he was constantly attempting to improve his lot through wild schemes for quick money. Most of these schemes failed miserably, and what little there was of his family's wealth was often squandered on crazed ideas for 'Automatic Turnip-mashing machines' and the like. He became somewhat of a joke amongst the gnomes of the slums for his get-rich-quick schemes.....until the discovery of Maztica.

For once accurately smelling opportunity, Keslen gambled his family's entire savings on one of the first expeditions to the New World, for which he earned a sound verbal thrashing from his enraged wife and the opportunity to sleep away....far away.... from his household for the next week or two. When his greed has cleared and his senses had returned, he felt intensely guilty over his actions, and was about to return and promise his wife that he would cease his foolhardy schemes once and for all, when the expedition returned. The ships were nearly weighted down with gold and jewels, enough for a king's ransom and more than enough to propel the Goldstones overnight from paupers to one of the wealthiest families in the city.

Keslen's dreams came true, and he was overjoyed. His confidence boosted, with one success came another, and he invested his share of the expedition's returns in setting up his own Jeweler's shop in Waukeen's Promenade (a fitting occupation for a gnome, he believed, and one bound to bring him a fortune.) He was a natural at the trade, and soon became the Jeweler of choice for the rich and famous (generally the same thing in money-conscious Amn), making him disgustingly wealthy and earning him a prominent place in the city's elite. Before long, he had made powerful friends, and quite a few of Amn's wealthiest citizens owned him favors, including (if rumor is to be believed) at least one of the Council of Six.

It was in these pampered conditions that Telliax Goldstone was born. Vowing that his son would not suffer from the poverty that had plagued his own youth, Telliax was given virtually anything he wished as he grew. He wanted for nothing, and his parents doted on him constantly. By his adolesence, he was quite the little brat, obnoxious and rude to anyone he felt to be beneath him, quick to temper tantrums when he didn't get what he wanted, largely sheltered from the outside world, and suffering from the common problem among those with too much wealth: he had nothing to do.

With endless amounts of free time on his hands, Telliax began to 'slum', spending his evenings by the dock stealing from passersby for the thrill of it. Before too long he actually grew quite adept at his chosen 'hobby'.....something which did not go unnoticed by the rulers of the Docks. One evening he went too far; he tried to riffle the pockets of a leading Shadow Thief, and soon found himself pressed against an alley wall, with a blade poised rather dangerously close to his neck. He was given a warning to either join the Shadow Thieves or be tortured horribly until his death. Fortunately for Telliax, the identity of his father wasn't known by his assailant, and so he was left an evening to consider his decision rather than ending up bound and gagged until a huge ransom could be delivered.

His decision was to mock-tearfully confess his entire sordid criminal career to his father, and beg him to do something about the death sentence hanging over his head. His father was enraged at first, but when he calmed down he was terrified. Even he had little influence over the Shadow Thieves; the only option he could present his son (other than, of course, joining the Shadow Thieves) was to flee the city. Calling in a favor from an old friend, a cleric of Baervan Wildwanderer notorious for his wanderlust who was in Athkatla at the time, Telliax hastily became an apprentice cleric and just as hastily fled Athkatla with his new mentor. Privately, his father had been planning just such a move for some time, hoping that the cleric's path might teach his child some humility, but Telliax was not informed of this.

The cleric, who travelled under the simple name of Belgin the Wanderer, was not especially happy in his new 'babysitting' role. Especially for the first few years, the sheltered Telliax had little clue how to respond to the outside world, and got the pair into a great deal of trouble during their travels, as well as quite vocally complaining about anything and everything. Nevertheless a love-hate relationship began to develop between the two. When Telliax was learning the ways of the Cleric from his mentor, the two could get along quite well for hours of lessons at a time, only to have their relations break down when Telliax reminded Belgin that he was simply a "glorified beggar" and that Telliax was being gracious in tolerating his presence at all. There were some times that it was all the cleric could do not to accidentally "lose" his charge in the wilderness, an act he knew was contrary to his beliefs but which sorely tempted him all the same.

His unexpected chance came just north of Daggerdale, when the caravan the pair was travelling with ran afoul of a group of evil bandits. Belgin didn't expect Telliax to fall and twist his ankle when he tried to run, nor did he expect that he alone would escape the notice of the bandits while the rest of the caravan were either massacred or captured. Yet, that was exactly what happened. Belgin didn't cause Telliax to be captured.....but, unsurprisingly, when the bandits left he made little effort to try and save him. He was not an evil Gnome, so he felt intensely guilty when he began walking away from the wreckage of the caravan with an uncontrollable grin on his face and a new spring in his step, feeling as if he were free for the first time in years.

Meanwhile, Telliax was taken to be sacrificed by a Priest of Cyric attached to the bandit group. They wished to offer thanks to their dark lord for such a successful raid, and as such sacrificed one out of every five captives they took, with the remainder to be hauled to Zhentil Keep or Mulmaster and sold into slavery. It was here that Telliax's life took a fateful turn; as Telliax was brought before the smug Priest, standing over a makeshift shrine made newly wet in the blood of sacrifices and holding a razor edged blade caked in dried crimson, he neither begged, nor pleaded, nor offered money or services for his life. He might have been spoiled, but he was no coward! He would gladly have thrown his life away rather than degrade himself before the eyes of commoners!

He calmly mounted the steps, sneering at the gathered bandits, and stared fiercely into the eyes of the Cyricist. Without a word, he lay on the slab and prepared for his end, showing no signs of fear or worry, offering his captors no emotion to gratify them other than his cold contempt. Nevertheless, he couldn't hide his astonishment when the Cyricist first started to giggle, and then broke into uproarious laughter; neither, for that matter, could the bandits watching the proceedings.

"This one lives. He's got spirit! The Prince of Lies has need of servants such as you, gnome! Find another slave to sacrifice; this one is now mine."

Telliax had found a new mentor. Over the next few months, he would abandon Baervan Wildwanderer for his new faith with extraodinary zealousness; he had never been much of a scholar anyway, while brutality and cruelty came to him with extraordinary ease. He hunted with the bandits, following them as they moved from Daggerdale to the Sword Coast, capturing many slaves and offering many sacrifices to his new lord and master. His mentor met with a convenient "accident" (the bandits never investigated why the bolts the Flaming Fist fired ended up in the Cyricist's back; must have been a crossbowman hiding in the woods), and Telliax was to become the new cleric for the bandits, who dared not travel and raid without a divine protector. Finally, the night came when he was to perform the rites which would induct him into the Priesthood, giving himself wholly to Cyric.

It was an incredible coincedence that his moment of glory happened to coincide with Cyric reading the Crynishad, which drove the God mad and made him believe he was the one and only true god in Aber-Toril. One's induction into any priesthood involves a brief connection with the essence of the God him/herself; without it, a priest would never be able to call upon the power which fuels his spells. Thus, when Telliax called out for Cyric to accept him as his humble servant, what he received in return was a heavy dose of the madness and megalomania which flowed through his dark god at that moment. Dark power flowed through him, but so did a heavy dose of insanity. On that night Telliax died, and all that was left was the lunatic Gnome named Tiax.

He fell into a catatonic, rapturous state, one which the bandits dared not disturb. When they awoke the next morning, Tiax was gone. He had a greater calling; Cyric himself had spoken, saying that Tiax was to be his most favored priest, future ruler of all Aber-Toril! Tiax would be as a giant among ants.....a giant with a magnifying glass.

Since then, Tiax has become one of the more amusing sights along the Sword Coast, wandering from city to city preaching the message of Tiax's greatness and of Tiax's destiny to rule all. Tiax's faith in his eventual destiny as ruler of all Aber-Toril is absolute; after all, CYRIC, the only true God in the multiverse, has declared it to be so! Though he seeks to gain greater power that he might be that much more fearsome a ruler, and as such is willing to travelling with an adventuring band until his dominance is assured, there is no doubt in his mind that he will one day be master of everyone and everything he surveys. Those who help him towards that goal will be rewarded in time, if only by being appointed to latrine duty in his greatest palace....truly an honor indeed!

CHARACTER OPINIONS:

here's Tiax's view on the other NPCS.

First of all, let me state my belief that Tiax will never lash out violently at another NPC; after all, why kill them now when you can torture them for eternity once you rule all? Tiax will share harsh words with quite a number of NPCs, but I just can't picture him violently lashing out; after all, as he states, death is a way of ESCAPING his rule, and why would he grant his enemies such escape? It's not like anyone can actually DO anything to prevent him from ruling all, so he doesn't actually consider any other NPCs a threat. Of course, this doesn't prevent others from attacking him....

Ajantis - Ajantis is a Paladin. Tiax is Chaotic Evil. Thus, quite naturally, Tiax will view Ajantis as opposing his ascension and paying homage to false gods who teach a false doctrine. He isn't a threat; there is no such thing as a "threat" to the inevitable. However, Tiax will most likely mull over what horrendous tortures will be meted out to Ajantis once he rules all. Until then, Tiax won't pay much mind to Ajantis, save perhaps to try and convince him to accept his eternal servitude to Tiax with a bit more enthusiasm.

Alora - Bleh. Tiax's world view ("everyone is Tiax's miserable, insignificant little slave; they just don't realize it yet") and Alora's world view ("Happy happy, joy joy!") aren't a good match. He'll react in a quite natural way; he'll try and chip away at her sugary sweet optimism with lurid descriptions of whipping the faithless and slaughtering the heathen. Not in a cold, calculated way, of course; too crazy for that. More in a spiteful, "if you won't worship me then I'll make your life a living hell!" way.

Branwen - Since Tempus is a false god who will someday come to be Cyric's slave, so Branwen will one day discover that the only war worth fighting in is a war to spread Tiax's power to the four corners of Aber-Toril. Until she openly recognizes his rule, she will have to remain a mindless pawn rather than a willing slave. Otherwise, he has little interest in her.

Coran - Tiax may be crazy, but he's still a man (errr, dwarf.) As such, he'll be terminally jealous of Coran's ways with the women. Tiax will one day have hundreds.....no, THOUSANDS!!!....of wives, but until that day it will drive him nuts that he, the future ruler of all, is entirely ignored by women while Coran is able to dash from one wild affair to the next. Coran will regret one-upping Tiax when Tiax rules all!

Dynaheir - Dynaheir and Tiax won't get along. Diametrically opposed alignments and all that. He'll contemplate forcibly extracting any information he might need for when his soon-to-be-mighty legions swarm across the borders of Rashemen and absorb the barbarians of that land into Tiax's soon-to-be-growing empire. Not yet, but soon....soon....

Edwin- Edwin will most likely freely ridicule Tiax, and Tiax doesn't take ridicule very well. As with Dynaheir, he'll mull over plans to torture him for information about the defenses and terrain of his homeland. If the Red Wizards surrender quickly, perhaps he'll allow them to spend the remainder of their lives as his pet wizards due to the widespread acceptance of Cyric in Thay, but Edwin has earned himself an eternity of pain for his insolence.

Eldoth Kron- Like Coran, but unlike Coran, Eldoth is likely to treat Tiax pretty badly (just how long would it take before ranting about world domination goes from entertaining to tedius, after all?) Tiax will treat Eldoth's verbal abuse in the same way he treats verbal abuse from anyone; remain silent and plan for the day when they will be screaming for forgiveness from their new master.....

Faldorn- Tiax has little love for the forests, and no desire to see demi-humanity extinguished. If everyone's dead, what will Tiax rule? Tiax likes her violence, but hopes it will be redirected in a more progressive fashion (like, say, making him ruler of all.) Until then, he has little like or hate for the Shadow Druid.

Garrick- Too cheerful for Tiax's taste, but not enough to irritate him to the extent of Alora. He can't feel the same hate for Garrick that he can for Coran, but he will recommend that his songs become a bit more to his liking (i.e. hymns to his greatness, songs celebrating the stupendous intellect and charisma of the great Tiax, odes to the glory of Cyric and his chosen champion, etc.)

Imoen - Imoen doesn't take Tiax seriously. Tiax hates not being taken seriously. Most likely, their relationship will consist of Imoen poking fun and Tiax trying with little success to make himself appear intimidating and powerful to her.

Jaheira- As with Faldorn, he has no idea why Jaheira would bother with something as transitory as nature. The forests will one day burn or grow at Tiax's whim; if she wishes to save her precious forests before that day comes, she should be worshipping HIM, not nature itself. Jaheira is....unlikely to respond well to this logic.

Kagain- Kagain has the right attitude, but the wrong motivation. Tiax will soon have treasuries filled to bursting with gold and jewels; if Kagain will pledge his servitude to him, some of that might come Kagain's way, but noooo, Kagain just tells him to shut his yap. The two don't hate each other, but they believe each other to be fools and so largely ignore each other.

Khalid- There is no room for weakness in Tiax's New Order, but his spineless blubbering (as Tiax views it) will serve him well as a galley slave or a coal miner. One good lash of the whip will set his type to work with incredible enthusiasm, and Tiax likes that from prospective servants.

Kivan- Tiax believes Kivan, like other NPCs with strong beliefs not centered on his divinity, is misguided in his obsessions. If he spent half as much time praising Tiax's brilliance as he did obsessing over Tazok, he might have a place in the world, but as it is he's a one-trick pony who, Tiax believes, should be put to pasture once Tazok his dead and his usefulness is ended.

Minsc- Tiax is insane, as you might have noted. So is Minsc. Despite their opposite alignments, they will share one thing in common: Tiax is plagued by the fear that Minsc isn't lying, and that in fact Boo really IS a Miniature Giant Space Hamster with incredible powers. When Minsc is sleeping, Tiax will whisper to Boo, and try to woo the Miniature Giant Space Hamster to his side so that his reign of terror will be unstoppable. Boo's apparent rejection of these demands won't make Tiax a very happy camper.

Montaron- Tiax will take a surprising shine to Montaron, despite the fact that Montaron probably won't like Tiax much. In Tiax's mind, Montaron is to be groomed as his personal assassin, a dedicated killer answering only to Tiax. The revelation of Montaron's Zhentarim connections will deflate these hopes somewhat, but Tiax will still view Montaron as a future tool to be groomed and set loose when the time is right.

Quayle- Quayle thinks he's so damned smart. Quayle has a special dislike for Tiax. Quayle seems to think Tiax is too stupid to rule the world, and never misses an opportunity to remind him of this. Again and again and again. Unsurprisingly, Quayle and Tiax will not get along. Not at all; it's like having Edwin and Minsc in the same party in BG2. If any character will drive Tiax to the edge of attacking straight out, it's Quayle. Sooner or later, one or the other is going to have to leave the group.....

Safana- If Coran is in the party, Tiax will sit back and laugh as Safana verbally thrashes him within an inch of his life. If Coran isn't in the party, Tiax will see little point in Safana, and will inform that his/her lot in Tiax's regime would benefit if Safana were to be ditched somewhere in the wilderness. She serves little purpose towards his reign....and besides, unlike Coran, he doesn't find her that attractive.

Shar-Teel- Tiax won't understand her logic. Tiax is male and Tiax is destined to rule; thus, females can't be better than males, otherwise Tiax would be female. They won't talk much, but when they do, Tiax won't understand her in the least.

Skie- Since he himself comes from a spoiled rich kid background (only dimly remembered by this point), Tiax will be surprisingly mild with her. His most lucid moments will be spent with Skie; he might even relate a little of his past to her, while the rest of the party looks on dumbfounded to see Tiax talking about something other than world dominance.

Viconia- A perfect agent for the coming conquest of the Underdark! She might not worship Cyric....yet. However, she abandoned one God for a surface deity of evil; the step from one evil goddess to an evil god shouldn't be very far. When they speak, he will try to convert her to Cyricism, and she'll most likely slap him down hard.

Xan- He'll find Xan to be among the most enlightened NPCs. Xan recognizes that everything that is done is essentially hopeless; in the end, regardless of which villains are smited or whatever, Tiax will rule all and the world shall despair at his power. He'll be less amused when Xan tries to challenge his beliefs in Cyric, beliefs which are unshakeable and will only prompt an irritated rant. There is but one God, and Tiax is his prophet. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Xzar- Two fellow evil nutcases, both infatuated with themselves. For the most part, Tiax leaves Xzar alone, and tries to withdraw from any conversations the madman starts. Tiax's global dominance of all life can only be hindered by lunatics like Xzar.

Yeslick: Tiax will view Yeslick the same way he views Branwen or Viconia; as a poor, deluded fool who has not yet realized that whatever god he serves is simply another tool for the will of Cyric, and thus another means by which Tiax will rule all. He'll try to convince him of the wisdom of this fact, but since the two are of directly opposite alignments relations will likely be rough.

Biography.

When asked about his past TIAX ignores you entirely, preferring instead to loudly proclaim what is in store for his future. He obviously worships Cyric, but also seems to share a touch of his madness. Tiax unquestioningly believes that he is destined to rule the world, and his fervor makes him blind to the ridiculous nature of the goal. He seems harmless enough for now.

Character Sheet.

Tiax: male, gnome, cleric/thief, chaotic-evil.  Str 09, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 09.

Special(s): Tiax has a once/day summon ghast ability.

Tiax.

Glorious Cyric has foretold of our meeting when thou wouldst join with me.  'Tis thy duty...nay, DESTINY  to stand by Tiax as the world kneels before him!....er...us.  To this end I would travel with thee and do thy bidding.  Later, however, your power shall add to mine and great Tiax will ascend to the highest office in the land.  What say you?  Yea or nay to the grand scheme? 

Thou would'st presume to speak to Tiax the great?  Thy bravery is oddly tempered with foolishness.  Still, Cyric has decreed that I seek out the services of one such as thyself.  Tiax himself...myself will aid in your quest.  In return, when the time is right, your might will forge the way for my ascension to power.  Do you accept this honor? 

Have ye no ears to hear?!  It is as Tiax said!  DESTINY!  Cyric himself will lift Tiax "on-high," hurtling me to my rightful place when the time comes!  You shall all be as ants before my grace, though slightly larger ants than the norm if you help me.  

Tiax the Grand has no time for your impudent prittle-prattle. 

What? Fate decrees the world to thine hands and you flout her as a common wench?  Are ye cup shot?  Mutton-headed foole, you and your natty lads will be fallen away from a horse load to a cart load whilst Tiax  puts the world to bed with a shovel!  'Twill be a squeak for your life then ye duke of limbs, stir yer stumps and begone! 

'Twas fated by Cyric to be so.  Let us go forth and make short work of your tasks, for greater things will need attendance. 

JOURNAL I have met and joined with a gnome named Tiax.  I am to help him rule the world (though I quite think he is off his rocker).    

WHAT!?  You know not of the glory of Cyric?  Tiax can but barely comprehend this!  Is destiny to link Tiax with such a dullard?  No, it does not matter.  Tiax can make use of such fodder regardless of their belief or understanding!  Join with me, and I shall compensate for your stupidity! 

Oh this can not be!  Tiax will not be saddled with such a milk-sopped dullard!  Begone, and beware my inevitable rule, ye bandie-legged clapdragons!   

Tiax is destined to lead, though he grows to enjoy your company.  Perhaps you shall be spared his wrath, and appointed to more than sewage detail. 

What?!  You galley-whipped short-knickers!  Tiax the grand will not stand to be cast aside!  He shall ascend without your bumbling sneakery!  The Great Tiax, betrayed on all sides by those seeking to undermine his coming rule, casts aside the refuse he once called his slaves! Mindless fools!  Breathe deep and fill your ill-fated lungs with the salty airs of your sorry destiny! 

Yes, yes, the all-seeing Tiax thinks that his leaving would be best.  He must finalize his stratagems and consult in secret with Cyric. You shall, of course, meet the Great Tiax again, at which point I will make my grand ascension and appoint you to your rightful place as whipper of the slaves and faithless. 

Have you come to your senses and decided to have Tiax join your motley group? 

As was foretold at the beginning of all, so the wayward brainless children have returned to the bosom of their intended celestial nanny.  I, Tiax, welcome you back to your eternal glorious servitude. 

Your continuing delusion of leadership will serve Tiax well in the long run.  Lead on for now, but eventually Tiax rules! 

It would seem you are not truly ready to accept your roles as the eternal steppingstone of Tiax the ponderous.  It is of little concern.  In time you will realize your place.  Tiax will wait. 

Tiax is destined to lead, though he grows to enjoy your company.  Perhaps you shall be spared his wrath, and appointed to more than sewage detail.

Where will your learning get you when Tiax rules?  Duke of manure at best! [TIAXX27] 

Sure you be smart, but none are grander than Tiax! [TIAXX28] 

Thou would'st mock me?  Ye stiff-rumped foole! [TIAXX29] 

All the world will tremble beneath the feet of Tiax! [TIAXX30] 

Tiax and his greatness shall squash you as a bug, you...you...insolent BUG! [TIAXX31] 

Tiax WILL rule ALL! 

Tiax does as ye will, but one day...BOOM!  He rules! 

[TIAX 1] You!  Tiax would speak at you, for 'tis destined to be so!
[TIAX 2] Tiax will rule . . . from a distance!
[TIAX 4] Tiax is impressed with this group!  You will continue to serve him once he rules
[TIAX 5] Tiax fails to see how this will aid in his ascension!
[TIAX 6] Continue with this . . . unprofitable behavior, and Tiax will seek his destiny elsewhere!
[TIAX 7] You are unworthy to sit at the feet of great Tiax!  I shall find another for that exalted spot!
[TIAX 8] As it should be!  Tiax was destined to lead!
[TIAX 9] Tiax needs rest if he is to rule!
[TIAX 10] We get no closer to world domination just standing about!
[TIAX 3] Tiax will smite thee!
[TIAX 11] Destiny had best hurry.  Tiax does not feel well at all.
[TIAX 12] When Tiax rules, this forest will be lumber for but a leg of his throne!
[TIAX 13] When Tiax rules, the stones of this city shall build his castle!
[TIAX 14] Why must Tiax traverse this dank hole?!  Cyric said nothing of soggy boots!
[TIAX 15] Tiax must squint in the sunlight!  One day . . . revenge shall be his!
[TIAX 16] Night would DARE hamper the sight of Tiax?!
[TIAX 17] Who dares prod Tiax?!
[TIAX 18] Tiax hears you.
[TIAX 19] Soon Tiax rules!
[TIAX 20] Tiax is as Tiax duz.
[TIAX 21] Tiax WILL rule ALL!
[TIAX 22] Tiax moves.  Make way!
[TIAX 23] Ya lil' monkey-spanker.
[TIAX 24] When Tiax rules, breeches shall not ride up so wedge-like!
[TIAX 25] Tiax does as ye will, but one day'BOOM!  He rules!
[TIAX 26] The day comes when TIAX will point and click!
[TIAX 27] Where will your learning get you when Tiax rules?  Duke of manure at best!
[TIAX 28] Sure you be smart, but none are grander than Tiax!
[TIAX 29] Thou would'st mock me?  Ye stiff-rumped foole!
[TIAX 30] All the world will tremble beneath the feet of Tiax!
[TIAX 31] Tiax and his greatness shall squash you as a bug, you . . .  you . . . insolent BUG!
[TIAX 35] Your goals are petty in comparison to the wonder of Tiax!
[TIAX 36] Do as ye will, but 'tis for naught!  Tiax must rule!
[TIAX 37] Has Tiax mentioned he's going to rule?  'Tis inevitable.    
[TIAX 40] Blast you!  Escaping the inevitable rule of Tiax by dying!  Coward!
[TIAX 41] Ha Ha HA!  Smart guy dies, and Tiax goes on to RULE!
[TIAX 32] Your insults carry little sting.  Tiax knows he will rule in the end.
[TIAX 33] Ye cup-shot muttonhead!  Tiax will slap you silly . . . when he rules!
[TIAX 34] Give thy tongue a holiday!  Tiax so commands!

Character Czar: Hendryk

Kagain.

Imagine a less interesting Korgan with a voice recycled from some old mob movie and you have Kagain. Um...any Kagain fans out there? At least his personal quest can be made more interesting. Oh, and he doesn't get along with Yeslick.

Biography.

When asked about his past, KAGAIN stresses that the questioner should just mind their own business if they want to keep their teeth. It is apparent that he runs a rather shady mercenary company and that he is quite obsessed with wealth, but any information beyond this he is content to keep to himself.

Character Sheet.

Kagain: male, dwarf, fighter, lawful-evil.  Str 16, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 15, Wis 11, Cha 08.

Special(s): Not really a special, but it should be noted that Kagain naturally regenerates, due to his high constitution.

Kagain.

Greetings, I'm Kagain, what can I do for you? 

I run an escort business.  I hire mercenaries to escort caravans on route from Amn to Baldur's Gate.  Right now I'm lookin' for some strong sword arms, and I'm willing to pay high.  It seems that one of the caravans under my protection never arrived at Baldur's Gate, and I need ta know what happened.  You look like a strong group of warriors; interested in a job? 

That's good.  I've been having a lot of problems with bandit activity lately, but they've always only taken the cargo and let the caravan go afterward.  I've been catching flak from the family of some of the passengers of this caravan, after all it was the job of my mercenaries to make sure everyone got safely to Baldur's Gate.  Normally I wouldn't give one damn about some stupid whiner, but one of the passengers was the son of Entar Silvershield, and in this part of the world, his word is law.  SO do you want the job or not? 

I'll pay each of you 30 gold per head, plus a share of any booty, if there's no one left alive to claim it. 

I'll pay 15 gold per head, as well as equal opportunity to loot any of the dead bodies the bandits may have left behind. 

I'll give each of you a share of whatever booty we take off the bodies of those poor caravan passengers. 

Well that's fine, I can always find myself some more reasonable warriors. 

Hey, I'm glad you guys have some sense in your heads.  I have an underling who can take care of business here while I'm gone, so let's get a move on. 

JOURNAL We've joined up with Kagain, a dwarf who wants to find a missing noble.  The missing noble is the son of Entar Silvershield, and so he's really desperate to find the kid.  

Well if you're not here for a job, and you don't need an escort, why don't you get the hell out of my face? 

Well, look what I found; this is the body of Silvershield's son.  Guess I'm in a lot of trouble now.  With him dead, I'll be a wanted dwarf. From what I've gathered so far, all of you are after them damnable bandits.  Well, since my reputation is now mud how 'bout I help you gain revenge on those scum bags. 

Stupid chumps, your loss. 

I don't have friends, so I don't get why you've suddenly come into my life.  Well friends, if I had something to tell ya, I would, but I don't. 

Get outta my store!  You're not wanted here, unless of course you've changed your mind about my previous offer. 

Heh, my reputation's probably calmed down by now, anyways. See ya around, ya lumps.  

You've got hardy hides, folk. If you ever need a little more dwarven muscle around, you've got it.

It's about time you got back!  Some nerve yous barrelheads have, leaving me standing here for so long.  It's a wonder I suffer your company at all. 

Straight to the point, I respect that.  Let's go. 

So be it.  I do like your style, though.  I'll be 'round here somewheres if you do have need o' some extra muscle. 

I don't want to rush you mutton-heads, but I have a caravan to find!  Get a move on! 

I'm getting nowhere with you useless chumps!  I'll find my lost caravan on my own, and yous can all just get bent! 

I'm tired of looking fer the damn caravan.  We'll never find it among all the other dead caravans we've been coming across.  Let's just forget about it and keep to whatever you wanna do.

You're the stupidest dwarf I've ever met, you're an embarrassment to dwarves everywhere.  [KAGAN27] 

Yeslick, your stupid mine is what started all this trouble. [KAGAN28] 

Yeslick, shut your lousy mouth and git outta my face.  [KAGAN29] 

You're an imbecile Yeslick.  If you piss me off one more time I'm going to rip yer head off. [KAGAN30] 

Ya lousy excuse for a dwarf, I'm gonna rip you a new arse. [KAGAN31] 

[KAGAIN 1] Greetings, I'm Kagain, what can I do for you?
[KAGAIN 2] This isn't worth dying over.
[KAGAIN 5] Ya buncha chumps, what the hell do ya think you was doing.
[KAGAIN 6] Do gooders always make me wanna vomit.
[KAGAIN 7] That's it, this dwarf is leaving.
[KAGAIN 8] As leader, I plan to make us stinking rich.
[KAGAIN 9] Even a dwarf's got a limit to his stamina.
[KAGAIN 10] Waiting around ain't gonna make us any money.
[KAGAIN 3] For the love 'o money.
[KAGAIN 11] This dwarf's not feeling too good.
[KAGAIN 12] Damn forest, always reminds me of pansy elves.
[KAGAIN 14] I like it here, where the gold grows.
[KAGAIN 17] I don't wanna talk.
[KAGAIN 18] Go pester someone else.
[KAGAIN 19] I need an ale.
[KAGAIN 20] -buuurp-  sure.
[KAGAIN 21] Alright.
[KAGAIN 22] Why me?
[KAGAIN 23] The only thing better than gold'.. is more gold.
[KAGAIN 24] You pugs are starting to piss me off.
[KAGAIN 25] Gold runs the world kid, faster ya learn that, the better life will treat ya.
[KAGAIN 26] If I had a copper for every moron I've run across, I could buy Baldur's Gate.
[KAGAIN 27] You're the stupidest dwarf I've ever met, you're an embarrassment to dwarves everywhere. 
[KAGAIN 28] Yeslick, your stupid mine is what started all this trouble.
[KAGAIN 29] Yeslick, shut your lousy mouth and git outta my face. 
[KAGAIN 30] You're an imbecile Yeslick.  If you piss me off one more time I'm going to rip yer head off.
[KAGAIN 31] Ya lousy excuse for a dwarf, I'm gonna rip you a new arse.
[KAGAIN 35] Are you some kind of a moron, what do ya think you was doing?!
[KAGAIN 37] Ya dolt, shut yer trap before it gets you into trouble.
[KAGAIN 36] Altruistic moron!
[KAGAIN 40] Better them than me.
[KAGAIN 41] Stupid dwarf was going to die sooner or later.
[KAGAIN 32] You should shaddup.
[KAGAIN 33] Keep on talking that way and I'm gonna stuff yer mouth full 'o horse dung.
[KAGAIN 34] Shaddup and show me the money

Character Czar: Turkish Delight

Shar-Teel.

I have to say that I get a kick out of Shar-Teel also. Her character is perfect, but she'd be fun to expand upon. Definite possibilities here concerning her father Angelo. Also, what's behind her man-hating? She could be a very cool character to work with.

Biography.

When asked about her past, SHAR-TEEL has very little to say.  From the little she speaks of it can be gleaned that she is an orphan. She also seems to harbor an intense dislike for Flaming Fist mercenaries, as well as an obvious disrespect for men in general. She seems to have something to prove, and likely her childhood was not of storybook quality.

SHAR-TEEL BACKSTORY

When the New World of Maztica was discovered, Duke Eltan of the Flaming Fist was among those intrigued by the discovery. He had long read of the final voyage of Balduran; how the mighty seafarer, rich and famous from the city he helped found, sailed west to find the legendary lands of Anchorome. It was a voyage he never returned from, and many afterwards dismissed his final expedition as a fool's quest. Eltan wasn't so sure, and his curiosity got the better of him. He gathered together a mighty fleet of the finest sailors and Flaming Fist mercenaries, and sent them west, where some sailed to Chult and others sought Anchorome itself. The Chult expedition was moderately successful. The Anchorome expedition was an unqualified disaster.

Facing disease, fierce storms, rampaging Sahuagin, savage Elven warriors, and even an attack by whale-like beasts on their ships, the ragged survivors of the expedition fought their way free of Elven territory and established a besieged settlement at Fort Flame. Of the more than 500 hardened mercenaries who had sought out Anchorome, less than 100 remained. Among their number was a Commander who distinguished himself in battle against the Sahuagin, a man by the name of Scar. Another man in the expedition was a little known private by the name of Angelo Dosan.

Angelo had distinguished himself in battle. By the time the expedition had reached the site of Fort Flame, he had personally slain a Sahuagin and three Elves. When the initial Elven surprise attack had fallen like a hammer on the already weary remnants of the Flaming Fist expedition, he had been one of the few to hold to his position while many of the other battered and demoralized Flaming Fist soldiers broke and fled. In the end, his position held, a counterattack routed the Elves, and all who had manned their posts became heroes. Scar himself led the counterattack, and took down the names of the defenders for later commendation. Angelo's future seemed bright indeed.

When some of the expedition's survivors launched from Helmsport back to Baldur's Gate, Angelo and Scar were among them. When they returned, they were greeted as heroes, and Angelo was recommended personally by Scar for promotion. Within a week of his return, Angelo had gone from being a forgotten nobody living off a pitiful soldier's pension to a respected war hero and lieutenant in the Flaming Fist.

Alas for Scar and the Fist, Angelo's physical bravery did not mean that his moral sense was particularly strong. He soon gained a reputation on the street; he was a man for sale, and anyone with enough money could buy his silence. He recruited similiarly corrupt men (though not women; he prohibited women Flaming Fist members from serving in his sector of Baldur's Gate) and was soon quite well-off through his dealings. He had many secret friends; corrupt merchants who wanted their slave trading or drug dealing kept quiet, members of the Thieves' guild, and politicians who didn't want their boozing or whoring to become public knowledge. All of them proved more than effective at keeping Angelo at his post. Angelo became a powerful man in Baldur's Gate.

It was during this period that Angelo built a 'family.' He married a former whore named Verana from the Undercellar whose company he had frequented and whom he had accidentally impregnated during one of their late night trysts. Since she threatened to go public with it if he didn't marry her and get her out of her despicable conditions, and he was intensely physically attracted to the woman anyway, he agreed and used his connections to keep her true past strictly 'hush-hush.' He paid little attention to her outside of the bedroom, but she was mostly concerned with spending his money anyway, so a mutually satisfactory 'relationship' developed between the two.

Verana bore him three children. The first two were sons, which filled Angelo with joy. He named them Azar and Sask, and they were his pride and joy, to whom he taught his warrior skills, and to whom he accidentally passed on his lack of moral fiber and contempt for the 'weaker sex.' The last child was a girl; during the delivery of this child, Jerena died from birth complications, and a young Shar-Teel was thus born into a house filled with nothing but bigoted, corrupt, violent men....including a drunken father who frequently held the little girl responsible for the death of his wife.

Naturally, her youth was not exactly ideal. Her father, filled with nothing but love for his sons, showered contempt on her, constantly reminding her that she had 'murdered her mother' and was a throughly contemptible mockery of a human being. When she reached an age where she could survive more than verbal abuse, he beat her frequently for the slightest infractions, or sometimes for no reason at all. Her brothers completely ignored her, only acknowledging her when they wished her to do some menial task they couldn't be troubled with.

Yet, Shar-Teel was born a strong-willed soul. Others might have crumbled before such treatment, becoming self-hating cowards and spineless weaklings, but Shar-Teel held on through all of it, though it could be said her soul did not. Her tough home life hardened her, giving her a heart of stone and a pragmatic morality unhampered by compassion or mercy, but ruthlessness cannot compensate for weakness, and her father had no desire to let her join her brothers in learning how to fight. She remained a little girl with few skills save cooking and cleaning, and no education to speak of (while meanwhile her brothers attended the finest school in Baldur's Gate and regularly practiced with some of the most talented weapons masters on the Sword Coast.)

All this changed quite by accident. At the age of twelve, she was sent to the market to buy groceries and stumbled into a warrior woman, dressed in plate armor pock-marked and dented from battle, with long stringy white hair and a set of the most piercing blue eyes Shar-Teel had ever seen. The woman snarled, and grabbed the girl by her arm, lifting her up and slamming her against a wall.

"Little brats shouldn't get in the way of their betters. Run away quickly, and perhaps I won't break your arm for your impudence. Go on, get out of here!"

A wicked smile crossed her face, and she hurled Shar-Teel into the street, barely paying her another glance. It was an act of wanton cruelty which meant little to the woman, and everything to Shar-Teel. The little girl stared after the woman, wide-eyed and admiring. All her life she had grown up seeing the MEN do such things, have such control over her, and now she had encountered a woman with that same strength of spirit; the will and strength to deal out abuse as she saw fit. Shar-Teel followed her.

When the woman noticed she was being tailed, and hid to see who was following her, she was enraged to discover it was the little girl. She leapt out of the shadows and wrapped her fingers around Shar-Teel's skinny neck, lifting her in the air with one hand and gazing malevolently into her eyes.

"You filthy little urchin! Didn't I tell you to run along home!? If I have to tell you again, I'll break you in half! What are you, a pick-pocket? If I find anything missing, I'll cut your stinking little...."

"Can I train with you?"

The woman was taken aback for a second. Shar-Teel was straight-faced and seemingly unafraid. The woman stared in wonder.

"Why would I bother training a scraggly, weak little girl like you?"

Shar-Teel stared at her directly in the eyes, her gaze every bit as fierce and determined.

"Because I want to have power, I want to have control, and most of all I want to kill every man who has ever disrespected me!"

The woman, in spite of herself, couldn't help but smile. Perhaps she saw something of her own youth in Shar-Teel; perhaps she was simply bored and wished to humor the girl for her own amusement. Regardless, Shar-Teel found herself the apprentice of Ysena, an infamous mercenary deeply involved in banditry, slave raids, and all the worst aspects of her chosen profession.

Character Sheet.

Shar-Teel: female, human, fighter, chaotic-evil.  Str 18/58, Dex 17, Con 09, Int 14, Wis 07, Cha 11.

Special(s): Not a special, but Shar-Teel's ability scores allow her to dual-class to thief.

Shar-Teel.

Hold travelers, I challenge your best warrior to a duel.  I don't fight women, so only men should step forward.

I win and you give me 20 gold.  In the unlikely event that one of you bests me, I'll pledge my sword to your cause.

Will your champion step forward? I only fight men, so your women will have to be satisfied with just watching.  Don't entertain any thoughts about cheating.  If any of the rest of you try to interfere in this fight I'll kill them outright.

Will your champion step forward?  Don't entertain any thoughts about cheating.  If any of the rest of you try to interfere in this fight I'll kill them outright.

Do you want another try?  If you've such a desire to have the snot beaten out of you, then I'll be happy to oblige.

I can't believe this, I'm beaten, by a man no less.  I guess I must keep my word.  I pledge my sword to your cause, however stupid it may be.

When I first saw you, I took you for cowards.  I guess I was right.  Good riddance.

If you're too stupid to see my worth then that's your problem.

Of course I'll prove my worth! It won't be too hard in this group.

Why are you doing this Angelo?

Your daughter is who speaks to you Angelo, or have you somehow forgotten?

You don't have the money!?  I guess I'll have to take it out of your hide.

Well, that was pathetic, but then, men are the weaker sex.  Thanks for the easy cash.

You're the most sickly group of adventurers I've ever laid eyes on.  Get out of my sight before I throw up.

A party of women, is it? Well met. Hey, if you ever happen to have a man tagging along with you, bring him down this way. I'd love to rub his nose in it, a little.

I told you, I only fight men!  You'll regret hitting me woman, you and your entire party!

Why are you doing this Angelo?

Your daughter is who speaks to you Angelo, or have you somehow forgotten?

Damn it, you lose one well-fought duel to an oafish lout of a man and you get attached. I almost hate to say it but you've earned my respect.

Ah, I'm finally released from this infernal duty! I swear by every god in a million pantheons that I will NEVER lose a duel to another overly masculine thug in my life.

You have returned.  That is fortunate, as I do not feel I have truly paid my debt to you just yet.

Make no mistake; I follow you only because of your prowess in battle.  When that falters, so does my loyalty.

Do not try my patience!  I will wait for a time, but I have no tolerance of ungrateful winners.

Say another word Eldoth, and I'll cut out your tongue. [SHART27]

Your impudence will one day get you killed Eldoth. [SHART28]

Eldoth, you're an impotent, degenerate lout, who has delusions of male superiority.  [SHART29]

Watch your mouth Eldoth, or I'll end your life where you stand. [SHART30]

You were warned Eldoth!  Now reap the consequences. [SHART31]

Sometimes the smell of a man makes me sick to my stomach.

Men never think with their minds.

Men are pathetic.

[SHAR-TEEL 1] Hold travelers, I challenge your best warrior to a duel.
[SHAR-TEEL 2] Discretion is the better part of valor.
[SHAR-TEEL 4] It seems that this party isn't as pathetic as I first suspected.
[SHAR-TEEL 5] This is the kind of stupidity we get with male leadership.
[SHAR-TEEL 6] I can't take much more of this male imbecility.
[SHAR-TEEL 7] Forget our deal, I'm leaving.  
[SHAR-TEEL 8] I'll lead this party better than any man could.
[SHAR-TEEL 9] Some rest is in order.
[SHAR-TEEL 10] This is such a waste of time, or should I say men are such a waste of time.
[SHAR-TEEL 3] Eat steel, scum.
[SHAR-TEEL 11] I don't have time to bleed.
[SHAR-TEEL 17] Men are pathetic.
[SHAR-TEEL 18] If it bleeds, I can kill it.
[SHAR-TEEL 19] I love bloodshed.
[SHAR-TEEL 20] Okay.
[SHAR-TEEL 21] Really?
[SHAR-TEEL 22] I'll do it.
[SHAR-TEEL 23] Life is made fun by crushing your enemies.
[SHAR-TEEL 24] Sometimes the smell of a man makes me sick to my stomach.
[SHAR-TEEL 25] Steel is the only thing that a woman can depend upon.
[SHAR-TEEL 26] Men never think with their minds.
[SHAR-TEEL 27] Say another word Eldoth, and I'll cut out your tongue.
[SHAR-TEEL 28] Your impudence will one day get you killed Eldoth.
[SHAR-TEEL 29] Eldoth, you're an impotent, degenerate lout, who has delusions of male superiority. 
[SHAR-TEEL 30] Watch your mouth Eldoth, or I'll end your life where you stand.
[SHAR-TEEL 31] You were warned Eldoth!  Now reap the consequences.
[SHAR-TEEL 35] Useless male dung heap.
[SHAR-TEEL 36] I spit on your manhood.
[SHAR-TEEL 37] Don't think yourself second to any man.
[SHAR-TEEL 40] More carrion for the vultures.
[SHAR-TEEL 41] The swine had it coming.
[SHAR-TEEL 32] Flattery will get you nowhere.
[SHAR-TEEL 33] You're a funny man, that's why I'm going to kill you last.
[SHAR-TEEL 34] How would you like my sword tickling your innards.

Character Czar: Merja.

Edwin.

With his never ending sarcasm and muttered comments, Edwin caught my eye in BG2; so much has his sweet accent gone to my heart, that I bought BG1 exclusively for his interactions. Never had I thought I'd get a chance to contribute to them

At the time of BG1, his declared goal is that of killing Dynaheir, and I am strongly inclined to believe he is on an affirmation quest of his own. Perhaps he is a very new Red wizard, or still apprenticing (although he'd never let that slip, heh) His last name is not an indifferent one in Thay, which might account for some of his haughty behavior. Even if he might not be direct kin of the Tarchion of Surthay, Homen Odesseiron, I think he is in somewhat of a close relation, as he positively reeks of pampering and expensive education. Quite possibly he thinks the task beneath his capabilities, and is eager to get it overwith as soon as possible.

His relationship with his homeland is still strong, and he does not dispaly any of the uncertainties he sometimes lets slip in BG2. I picture him a great conaisseur of wine and women, a man who is almost addicted to his luxuries, and feels that his opinion on every subject is to be held in highest regard.

For however boisterous and rash, Edwin proves he can be subtle, and very capable of silent deceit and blatant flatery when his interests call for it. The past and lineage of the main character would not leave him indifferent, but his interest would be less than scholarly. Once he gets past the inevitable jealousy, he will try to find ways in which to use the power PC posseses to his own interest.

Edwin is a strong individualist; it is probably part of his education, and much like Viconia he trusts no one but himself. He won't try to establish any connections with the other members of the party. If anything, he will strive to demonstrate his superiority at every turn. This might be superiority of magic over physical weapons, of mage over mage, anything as long as he is recognised. Being lawful evil, he regards the moral limitations of good characters a setback and will not shy away from stating it out loud.

Other NPC likes and dislikes

He despises Dynaheir and Minsc for being Rashemeni, Jaheira and Khalid for being Harpers. Although he is not the most balanced of individuals and tends to display some schizophrenic tendencies, he will find Xzar utterly insane and Montaron not worthy of attention. Love (at least in its spiritual form) is not among his values, therefore Kivan will appear as weak and whiny in his eyes.

From Yeslik he will keep a respectul distance, both because of the dwarf's age, and because of his -well, I find it so- calm dimeanor. Yeslick is polite, and I think Edwin appreciates manners.

He'd appreciate Coran for womanizing- it takes one to know one, heh, and he will try to ridicule Ajantis at every step, much as he does with Anomen.

Garrick will receive the same harsh treatment as Haer'Dalis...I wonder why Edwin doesn't like music. Edwin will not take lightly to Quayle, as he thinks himself the only one entitled to arrogant comments, and will think Xan a complete coward.

Eldoth will disgust him far more than Garrick; I think Eddie considers the barter of charms only acceptable for women. Both him and Tiax will suceed in angering the Red Wizard more than once.

Although he does appreciate Kagain's fighting skills and lack of scrupules, edwin is not a supporter of highway robbers, he preferrs his eveil dilluted and subtle. Not being the bravest man on the face of Faerun, he'll probably slip in some two sided comments, and quickly withdraw if Kagain notices the irony.

And now to the ladiez...

I picture Edwin for the type of man who will marry a woman averge in both looks and intelligence, for fear she might outshine him. In other words, a woman who will not get off a burning chair unless he tells her to.

In spite of this, he thinks gathering, err...experience with the fairer sex a prerogative, but will secretly (or not so secretly) regard the beautiful women as objects and nothing more...anyone who dares tell Viconia 'Hush, dear, nonsense.' must be either very brave, utterly insane, or think women of all races and types mere appendages. Alora tires him with her vivacity, for women should not talk unless asked to. Shar Teel is completely out of the question - they would not stand each other for obvious reasons, even if they are both evil aligned. Safana would be the type to make his head spin(rich boy falls for cabaret singer, LOL), but he'd recover quickly. Imoen is nothing more than a pestering child (Hah! In Thay, she would not be allowed out of the house at this age! )

Viconia, eh, Viconia is to him like the lamp to the moth. Dominating such an exotic creature would prove his sensuous skills and intelligence once and for all.

He is quite incapable of in-depth feelings, so all he would seek are trophys.

Skie, on the other hand, I think would arrouse his interest. Not feeling wise, but reason wise, she is ver pleasing; a spoiled rich girl, in severe need of pampering and looking after and therefore easily manipulated would be quite to his taste. The ease with which Eldoth can dominate her only serves to prove any half intelligent man could do the same. And, as we all know, Edwin is far more than half intelligent.

LOL, for the harshness of my statements you might think I completely dislike Edwin. Not so. I think he is a very intelligent man, sometimes even entitled to his arrogance. I don't think he's insane (I like to refer to his little habit as thinking out loud, and not talking to himself, mind you), but I believe he is trying to mask a lot of insecurities. Erm, in fact, I like him so much I will have to hold myself back from letting him get the last word in every time

Biography.

When asked about his past, EDWIN sneers that he has no intention of revealing such information and that it is none of your business. He further states that you are lucky enough to simply share his company, and then mutters something about leaving whenever he wishes. He obviously cares little for the camaraderie of others, and seems to take more pleasure in speaking to himself than in interacting with the party. His attire brazenly displays the colors of the Red Wizards of Thay, though why a member of that organization would come so far west is puzzling. Edwin does not seem forthcoming with any information.

Character Sheet.

Edwin: male, human, mage (conjurer), lawful-evil.  Str 09, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 09, Cha 10.

Special(s): Edwin has a special amulet (gives one extra spell, per level, per day).

Edwin.

I am the wizard Edwin and I require you! (Yes, they will do nicely.)  I would have you kill a witch, the witch Dynaheir.  She is treacherous, but with your participation I foresee no difficulty.  Will you assist?

(Is this what I have to work with?  Pathetic, but it will have to do.)  I am Edwin, and I would have you work for me.  It is but the simple chore of killing the witch Dynaheir.  Do you accept the task?

(Hmmm, not the best specimens, but perhaps a more "bestial touch" is what my plan requires.)  I would hire you to kill a treacherous enemy.  Understand?  She Dynaheir.  She bad.  You Kill.  Stomp your foot once for yes, twice for no.

Frankly, yes.  It is no concern of yours.  You need but perform the act with no questions.  What is your answer?

The prize I offer would surely be beyond measure in your meager understanding.  Either take the job or not!

One would think that any reward is better than none at all.  No matter, I shall seek out others who know their place.

JOURNAL I have met a man named Edwin near Nashkel, and I refused his deal to kill someone named Dynaheir.  I shall have to be on the lookout for both of them.  EXIT

Hmmm.  Seems I shall have to find others more...accustomed to confidential work.  Begone!  I have no time for this!

No?  No matter, others will do just as well.....Are you still here?  Begone.

Of course you will, it is as expected. (I will lead them to her and she cannot hope to prevail.)  I will travel with you until the deed be done.  I last heard of her travelling to the west of Nashkel, close to the gnoll stronghold located there.

JOURNAL I have agreed to kill a witch named Dynaheir for Edwin, for a price yet to be determined.  She is somewhere to the west of Nashkel, in a gnoll stronghold.  EXIT

Greetings!  I am Edwin and I wish to.......Oh my.  (She has allies already!)  It would seem that the quarry I would have hired you to find, is already within your midst!  Dynaheir is not to be trusted and I urge you to cast her from your party.  If you will not, at least allow me to join you as well.  I am a Wizard of some renown, and as such I will not fall prey to the deceitful guile of one such as she.

My grievance with her is beyond you.  Suffice to say that she must be watched by someone who....understands her ilk.

Wise, if cowardly.  Begone, that the witch and I might settle our differences!  (Now she is mine to be sure!)  You'll have little protection now, witch!

You shall be the harbinger of your own destruction.  (Fools, they know not the danger.)

JOURNAL I have met a man named Edwin near Nashkel, who hates Dynaheir for some reason.  I shall have to be wary of him.  EXIT

A wise decision.  One can never be too cautious dealing with...her kind.  (Yes, I shall watch her carefully.)

So the witch Dynaheir is dead!  I would have thought her more formidable to be so far from her homeland.  Why then was she here?  Her demise is not the check-mate I had hoped for, merely the check.  What?  What do you want!?  (Oh yes, the matter of payment, although I begin to doubt whether their input was all that vital.  Still, something for their trouble is in order, if only to appease them.)  As we never fixed a price your payment shall be one year of my services as a wizard.  I am sure you agree that my guidance will be far more valuable than any monetary sum.

Why do you stay the killing blow?!  Kill her!!

Listen not to the witch's lies!  We had a deal!

(If they'll not do the deed then our deal is forfeit!)  You side with the witch then you will die with her!  Beware my return!

JOURNAL I have severed my alliance with Edwin, as I do not wish his kind of influence within my party.  EXIT

Nothing changes with the distance!  You are wychalarn of Rasheman, I am a wizard of Thay!  That you are here means I must be as well!

(I'll not suffer her insults!)  Die as you should!

(Their desires lack vision and originality.)  If simple coin be all you wish, perhaps I would rather travel with more "adventurous" adventurers.  Take what I have, and remember your choice when it is long since spent.

(She is dead!  It is as it should be!  Rasheman fools tramping about the realms, did they expect to escape the eye of Thay?  All that is to be determined is what they were doing here.)  You!  <player name>!  I would travel with you until I know what she was up to.  Do you agree?

As it should be.  We travel together then, (and I shall return unto Thay a hero, in time.)

JOURNAL Dynaheir is dead, as Edwin wished her to be.  Success of a sort, I suppose.  EXIT

Then you will eventually face the same fate as she!  Farewell, and good riddance.

I warned you that I would return, and now it is time for you to face my wrath!  I see you no longer have the witch with you.  Well no matter!  You will die for your association with her!

Fools!  I foretold that I would return!  Now I shall take your lives for the glory of Thay, and dispatch whatever paltry goals you and your witch collaborator have!

(Her power is nothing without the will to use it!)  Step from behind your excuses and let us end this here!

So the witch Dynaheir is dead!  I would have thought her more formidable to be so far from her homeland.  Why then was she here?  Her demise is not the check-mate I had hoped for, merely the check.  What?  What do you want!?  (Oh yes, the matter of payment, although I begin to doubt whether their input was all that vital.  Still, something for their trouble is in order, if only to appease them.)  As we never fixed a price your payment shall be one year of my services as a wizard.  I am sure you agree that my guidance will be far more valuable than any monetary sum.

(Their desires lack vision and originality.)  If simple coin be all you wish, perhaps I would rather travel with more "adventurous" adventurers.  Take what I have, and remember your choice when it is long since spent.

I have hired you for a purpose and expect results.  If the witch is not found and dealt with soon I shall be forced to sever our relationship (gladly, I should think).

(If they'll not do the deed then our deal is forfeit!)  You have taken too long and wasted my time.  I shall find more active lackeys to do my bidding.  Good Riddance!

Why do you stay the killing blow?!  Kill her!!

Listen not to the witch's lies!  We had a deal!

Wise, if cowardly.  Begone, that the witch and I might settle our differences!  (Now she is mine to be sure!)  You'll have little protection now, witch!

(Her power is nothing without the will to use it!)  Step from behind your excuses and let us end this here!

Nothing changes with the distance!  You are wychalarn of Rasheman, I am a wizard of Thay!  That you are here means I must be as well!

(I'll not suffer her insults!)  Die as you should!

(If they'll not do the deed then our deal is forfeit!)  You side with the witch then you will die with her!  Beware my return!

It is about time you returned!  If I had waited another moment you would surely have regretted it!  Let's get moving!

Save your pleasantries.  (I will suffer their company merely because they are useful.)

You would cast me aside yet again?  Do not press me further!  I will wait here, but do not tarry!

You would have me leave the group?  I agree to do so, but only as it serves my purposes for the time being.  (I will wait here, but I am not a patient man.)

You would cast me out as though I were a servant?  (They will all pay for their insolence!)

This witch deceives you with her lies!  I tell you she is evil! [EDWIN2]

There is no protection if you goad me further, witch!   [EDWIN28]

Her power is nothing without the will to use it!  Step from behind your excuses and let us end this here! [EDWIN29]

'Tis welcome you find no fault with one such as I.   [EDWIN30]

Her company is refreshing but I am surprised I find it so. [EDWIN31]

[EDWIN 1] Go no further!  I require the services of your group.  (Yes, they will do nicely.)
[EDWIN 2] Enough of this!  Let these fools lose their own lives!
[EDWIN 4] A rare display of intelligence, undoubtedly fleeting .
[EDWIN 5] I thought I could think no less of this group, but with THIS behavior...
[EDWIN 6]  I can stand no more.  This idiocy must stop, or I will be forced to take my leave.
[EDWIN ] Our deal is void.  I cannot stand your continued waste of resources.  We are at odds forevermore!
[EDWIN 8] They finally realize my true place!
[EDWIN 9] I'll not keep this pace without a rest soon.  
[EDWIN 10] Inactive outward, inactive inward.  Why do I suffer these fools.
[EDWIN 3] Your worthless lives end here!
[EDWIN 11] Strange, I . . . I do not feel so well.
[EDWIN 1] Again you disturb me!
[EDWIN 18] You are so irritating.
[EDWIN 19] WHAT is it NOW?!
[EDWIN 20] My actions are yours.
[EDWIN 21] As directed, for now.
[EDWIN 22] If I must.
[EDWIN 23] I do not understand this "mouse magic" that makes me do your bidding!
[EDWIN 24] Elminster this, Elminster that.  Give ME 2000 years and a pointy hat and I'll kick his arse!
[EDWIN 25] Please don't disturb me while I plot to overthrow you!
[EDWIN 26] They continue under the delusion that I care at all.
[EDWIN 2] This witch deceives you with her lies!  I tell you she is evil!
[EDWIN 28] There is no protection if you goad me further, witch!  
[EDWIN 29] Her power is nothing without the will to use it!  Step from behind your excuses and let us end this here!
[EDWIN 30] 'Tis welcome you find no fault with one such as I.  
[EDWIN 31] Her company is refreshing but I am surprised I find it so.
[EDWIN 35] This group be a damn sight better off without you!
[EDWIN 36] Must you crowd so close?  'Tis bad enough I must walk with you chimps.
[EDWIN 3] Typical response; I wonder if they will prove useful at all.
[EDWIN 40] Pawn discarded.  I'll have to find another group if this keeps up.
[EDWIN 41] Checkmate!  At last the witch dies!  
[EDWIN 34] Your words please, though I know not their motive.
[EDWIN 33] Watch your words when addressing me, lest they be fed to you on the end of my boot!

Character Czar: Dan_Co9

Viconia.

The Viconia that we see in BG 1 is quite different from her BG 2 persona, mostly due to the fact that she's only just left the Underdark. She's nowhere near to the world-weary, self-assured, and mature woman that we see in Shadows of Amn. (Her wisdom boost between games is an example of that. By BG 2, she's learned the ways of the world she's in, and how to best exist within them.) The sudden shock that her life has undergone -- the way her world in Menzoberranzan just came crashing down all around her -- has left Viconia shaken to the core, and very unsure of what she can do with herself now. Everywhere she goes on the surface she meets a wall of opposition in the form of racial prejudice and fear (neither of which is entirely unjustified, as Viconia would probably admit), and behind her lies even greater danger from her former kindred, now turned fully against her.

Yet Viconia possesses a strong tenacity and knack for survival, due in part to her nature as a drow. It's carried her this far, and means that she's not likely to roll over and die any time soon. Being taken into the party is a very lucky thing for Viconia, which she may attribute to either her own charm or to divine guidance of Shar, but regardless it's a situation that she plans to use to her full advantage. Being lost on the surface as she is, she needs shelter, she needs allies, and she needs a stable situation in which she can regain her footing. Viconia's aware that life on the surface goes much differently than it does in the Underdark, but she hopes to develop a grasp on the surface ways that is just as strong as -- if not stronger -- than her understanding of drow customs and politics. She knows it's necessary for her survival, and also necessary if she ever plans to regain a social stature as powerful as what she once had in Menzoberranzan. (However, the former is the most immediately important to her.)

In regards to her companions, it would seem that Viconia's first priority is to try to forge an alliance with them, an alliance of necessity, in order to gain much-needed security and knowledge of surface ways. It's important to bear in mind, though, that Viconia's inner machinations still operate on drow politics. No bond she forges is made with the intention of being permanent. Should the situation arise when betrayal best aids her, she will have little qualms with sticking the proverbial knife in the back of a "friend." This is undoubtedly a sign of the drow way of thought that's still very strong within her, as she's not too far removed from that dark atmosphere of intrigue and self-interest. (On the same note, we'll very often seem Viconia fall back on her drow ways when all else fails, i.e. pulling out drow vocabulary, and making references to the subservience of males.) But as a part of her acclimation to surface life, she might become amused by and even interested in the notion of genuine companionship. She might observe this in relationships like Imoen and the PC, or Khalid and Jaheira. The concept is still very alien to her, though, and at this point her only interest in it is how it might benefit her motives. She might pick up on a method of "bonding" with her companions only to wrap them around her finger (Imoen again comes to mind).

As for the PC, I think she might feel a sort of obedience to him much like she would to a matron mother. She recognizes that he/she is in charge, and therefore that his/her favor is very important to her. She'll likely make plays for the PC's favor, which might seem very strange to him/her, but seems only natural to Viconia. The PC is, by far, Viconia's most valuable ally.

Biography.

When asked about her past, VICONIA reveals (quite proudly) that she is a dark elf from the Underdark city of Menzoberranzan. She says very little about her reasons for leaving that sunless realm, though separations of such a nature are never gentle. She does claim to no longer worship the spider goddess Lolth; a change that even you know is often fatal. Her new faith is in the night goddess Shar, an appropriate choice for a drow, though this is not a firm indication that she has given up the brutal ways of her people. She finds the laws of the surface world quaint and more than a little strange, but this is simply because of her lack of experience. Likewise she seems a bit naive about how her race is viewed by surface dwellers. Many will not give her the chance she seems to expect, and even being seen with her may affect how people think of you. You know that as a drow, she has resistance to magic, both benificial and harmful.

Character Sheet.

Viconia: female, elf, cleric, neutral-evil.  Str 10, Dex 19, Con 08, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 14.

Special(s): As a drow Viconia has magic resistance (50%).

Viconia.

Help me! If you don't help me, they'll kill me.

My name is Viconia, I....I'm not from around here, thank you so much for helping.

I should have expected that from craven surface dwellers.  May you rot in all the hells.

They lie, I've done nothing wrong.

Just like surface dwellers, traitorous scum!

I thank you for risking yourselves on my behalf.  I know what you are thinking, you see my dark skin and won't trust me for it.  I am a dark elf, but I'm an outcast, I need your help.  I no longer receive my powers from the spider gods you surface dwellers fear so; the Goddess Shar grants me wisdom, and she is a surface divinity. If you'd let me join your group, I would be most grateful.  I have no where else to go.

I thank you.  I know you may not be willing to give me a chance because of my dark skin.  I am a drow, but if you give me a chance you won't regret it.  Can I join with you?  I need friends, now more than ever.

I thank you for your help, but more will be on their way, perhaps our paths will cross again.

You surface dwellers are so weak, I should be glad that you turned me down.

I won't disappoint you, I promise.

I am sorry to be so nervous, but the surface is so large, unending when compared to my homeland.

You have been very kind to me in this strange and lighted world. Perhaps you are right, though. The drow were meant to be a race apart... Take care of yourselves, alright?

A welcome release.  Your weakling surface ways have left a bitter taste in my mouth.  Perhaps I should seek shelter back under the cover of the earth.  I understood my fellows there.

Shar has crossed our paths yet again.  I would welcome your company, as I have found little purchase among others of this land.

I could ask for little else.

That is your choice to make.  I shall likely be hiding somewhere near here, if you decide to change your mind.

I come from the city of Menzoberranzan.  My family was slaughtered, and I was forced to flee to the surface.  When I reached the realms of light, the traitor Lolth abandoned me.  I would have been lost had it not been for the divine Shar!  She took me in and gave me the will and strength to survive!  It makes me so happy that I have found friends such as you to make my acclimation to the surface a little easier.

Greetings darthiir, I know that you look upon me as an enemy, but perhaps we could ignore our differences. [VICON27]

Iblith!  If that is how you want things, then so be it. [VICON28]

I worship Lolth no longer. [VICON29]

Don't threaten me Kivan, it shall only lead to your death. [VICON30]

If you wish to die, I am pleased to assist. [VICON31]

[VICONIA 1] Help me! If you don't help me, they'll kill me.
[VICONIA 2] We must run!
[VICONIA 4] Shar looks upon us with favor.
[VICONIA 5] Surface dwellers can be so stupid.
[VICONIA 6] I am disappointed by our lack of progress.
[VICONIA 7] I have no desire to remain in the company of the witless.
[VICONIA 8] With the guidance of Shar, we shall prosper.
[VICONIA 9]I must rest.
[VICONIA 10] The drow are never this idle with their time.
[VICONIA 3] Lil alurl!  For Shar!
[VICONIA 11] Shar!  Save me from the spider queen's vengeance.
[VICONIA 12] Your forests seem very strange, and yet somehow familiar.
[VICONIA 14]  'Tis akin to my home, but home does not welcome me.
[VICONIA 15] The light, it burns.
[VICONIA 16] There is no roof to this world.
[VICONIA 17] Jal Khaless?
[VICONIA 18] Nightsinger, give me power.
[VICONIA 19] Oloth Zha?
[VICONIA 20] Nau natha.
[VICONIA 21] Khaless Nau!
[VICONIA 22] May darkness prevail.
[VICONIA 23] I pity you for your short life span.
[VICONIA 24] I am born of a noble race.
[VICONIA 25] Shar is a goddess of conviction and purpose.
[VICONIA 26] I'll go where you wish, if you keep me from the accursed sun.
[VICONIA 27] Greetings darthiir, I know that you look upon me as an enemy, but perhaps we could ignore our differences.
[VICONIA 28] Iblith!  If that is how you want things, then so be it.
[VICONIA 29] I worship Lolth no longer.
[VICONIA 30] Don't threaten me, Kivan, it shall only lead to your death.
[VICONIA 31] If you wish to die, I am pleased to assist.
[VICONIA 36] In the Underdark, you would be fodder for the Kuo Toa.
[VICONIA 35] You are one of the few among us whom I can respect.
[VICONIA 37] Male, fetch me something to eat.
[VICONIA 40] Death is not something to mourn.
[VICONIA 41] It is sad that Kivan and I never understood each other.
[VICONIA 33] I am.......... flattered, thank you.
[VICONIA 32] I will not accept such arrogance from a male.  On your knees. 
[VICONIA 34] Never again speak to me in such a manner.
[VICONIA POST]  Get away from me surface scum!

Stray thought on Imoen's bio.  As unlikely a fellow as Bernard in the Copper Coronet knows the Harpers; might Winthrop have been a sort of Harper fellow traveller also?  That way, in the days when he was still out and about, he'd have gotten the word to look out for stray orphans with uncommon vitality (or whatever characteristics).  Thus having him bring Imoen to Gorion at Candlekeep wasn't pure chance, even if his settling there himself probably was.

##########

##########

Funny. I just finished up the "Winthrop meets Imoen again" dialogue when the party returns to Candlekeep late in the game.

That's an interesting idea. Sounds like something that should be added to a BG2 mod. :-) Really, BIOs handling of Imoen is just plain sloppy. I'm not a big fan of "Imoen as Bhaalspawn" anyway, so I don't worry too much about fixing that particular BIO plot hole.

In modern times she'd be someone who shoplifts for kicks and swipes stuff from the office. On the other hand, she wouldn't steal from friends, people she liked or people who are not well-to-do. She'd only steal from people with, at least, a shady reputation, very wealthy (snobs) or from 'entities' (like a trading company or store); she'd rationalize that those people 'wouldn't miss it'.

They say all humor is cruel. This is esp. true when it comes to practical jokes, making fun or teasing: all things Imoen likes to do. A little spark of cruelty exists in her, even if it's outweighed by her basic good-nature. Her easygoing manner and natural charisma make the butt of her jokes laugh with her more often than feel hurt or insulted.

She's not one to be inclined to go out of her way to help people. (I'm drawing from BG2 here a lot, btw.) She does say that "we should at least try to be decent to people" but she also doesn't seem very concerned with the plight of others either (see 'Demin, conversation with' where she's more interested in getting CHARNAME's soul back than in helping the elves and 'Saemon, conversation with in Spellhold' where she's not concerned about the other party member's uneasiness (e.g. Aerie) about entering the underdark, but rather, again getting her and CHARNAME's souls back). Speaking of Aerie, while she can't make herself hate Kalah even after all the pain he's caused, Imoen is more than willing to tear the heart out of both Irenicus and Bodhi's chests for hurting her and CHARNAME.

Imoen is also not one for 'heart to heart' conversations with NPCs. The closest she gets to that is with Jaheira and Minsc in BG2 when she finds out about Khalid and Dynaheir's fate. Even in ToB, after having traveled for a long time with the other NPCs (assuming she wasn't summoned by the Fate Spirit), she hides behind jokes and flippancy. And of course, when Sarevok digs too deep she backs away quickly but that could be considered a special case. In comparison, she's completely at ease with CHARNAME. This is not to say that she's indifferent to the other NPCs, but it's (kind of) a case of Her and CHARNAME to one side and all the rest of the party to the other.

I'm not trying to make everyone's favorite Bhaalspawn sis into some bad person here, but I am trying to give her some depth by accentuating some of her (perceived) flaws.

I'll put this up in her Character Sketch entry. Let me know if you think I've got something wrong. It's still fluid. ;)

##########

##########

Very nice info, Blucher. For the most part, I think it's perfectly right. biggrin.gif

But (there's always a but, heh) I think it's worth pointing out that your examples of Imoen not wanting to go out of her way to help others all come from when she doesn't have a soul. That should factor into our evaluation of her somehow, right? If she doesn't have a soul, she's probably not acting totally like herself. Maybe that explains why she's inclined to so single-mindedly pursue Irenicus and Bodhi, and why she's willing to give into hatred toward them. On other occasions, maybe it's just her natural thing not to be led to hate (ie. Kalah). There's always Rielev, too ... I remember her giving a little speech about what a poor creature he was. She seemed very sympathetic, there.

Not that I disagree with the whole thing. wink.gif I do think Imoen's less inclined to "crusade for the right" like a Minsc, Jaheira, Anomen, etc. That's probably because her sense of moral absolutes is pretty loose (like you say, she does steal stuff!).

##########

##########

I'd say it's also worth noting that whenever she's not concerned or sympathetic to someone else, it's because she's focused on CHARNAME.

##########

##########

Every cynic is a wounded optimist trying to recover....

I'd say that she's so bitter in BG2 because in BG1 she was incredibly happy go lucky and just didn't really THINK about how her actions could hurt people, or how other people might be able to hurt her. She just seemed to coast, not fully realizing the consequences of her behavior. And then reality finally catches up with her and smacks her around a bit, and she takes it badly and is thus disillusioned as hell.

I'll have to agree with Kish and Dan here... her unsympathetic behavior isn't necessarily typical of her, she's just so focused on how she and Charname has been hurt that she's finding it hard to focus on anything else at the time. I'd say that self-pity is one of her flaws in BG2, but not in one... it took a lot to break her fairy tale outlook on life.

Agree on the rest of the outline, though. Great stuff.

Some info I had tucked away for my fledgling Eldoth character concept:

Sociopathy is chiefly characterized by something wrong with the person's conscience. They either don't have one, it's full of holes like Swiss cheese, or they are somehow able to completely neutralize or negate any sense of conscience or future time perspective. Sociopaths only care about fulfilling their own needs and desires - selfishness and egocentricity to the extreme. Everything and everybody else is mentally twisted around in their minds as objects to be used in fulfilling their own needs and desires. They often believe they are doing something good for society, or at least nothing that bad. The term "sociopath" is frequently used by psychologists and sociologists alike in referring to persons whose unsocialized character is due primarily to parental failures (usually fatherlessness) rather than inherent features of temperament. However, this may only describe the "common sociopath", as there are at least four (4) different subtypes -- common, alienated, aggressive, and dyssocial. Commons are characterized mostly by their lack of conscience; the alienated by their inability to love or be loved; aggressives by a consistent sadistic streak; and dyssocials by an ability to abide by gang rules, as long as those rules are the wrong rules. Some common sociopathic traits include:

Egocentricity; Callousness; Impulsivity; Conscience defect; Exaggerated sexuality; Excessive boasting; Risk taking; Inability to resist temptation; Antagonistic, deprecating attitude toward the opposite sex; Lack of interest in bonding with a mate

From here: http://faculty.ncwc.edu/toconnor/401/401lect16.htm

Not all, obviously applies to Eldoth ("They often believe they are doing something good for society, or at least nothing that bad" and "ability to abide by gang rules, as long as those rules are the wrong rules" for instance), but much of it, imo, is spot on.

EDIT: and to a lesser degree, some stuff possibly useful in regards to Skie:

Dependent Personality Disorder and Psychopathology: http://mentalhelp.net/psyhelp/chap8/chap8j.htm

We're getting a good education in psychological disorders for this mod, aren't we? ;) Khalid has post-traumatic stress disorder, of course; Xzar is clearly schizophrenic, and Minsc has an acquired brain injury. Any more? ;)

##########

##########

Tiax is a megalomaniac - and the only czar I'm sure of, myself, I'm sure is also nuts.

##########

##########

Quayle is a bit of a classic narcissist (egomaniac?). Alora is a kleptomaniac. Xan and possibly Viconia are depressed.

Who else? ;)

##########

##########

I'll just do a pre-emptive strike here and say that Safana is NOT a nymphomaniac.
I present to you Alora, in the style of the 2nd Edition Heroes' Lorebook

aloraL.jpg

Alora, Halfling female 4th-level Thief

ARMOR CLASS: 7

MOVE: 12

HIT POINTS: 14

THAC0: 19

NO. OF ATTACKS: 1

ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Good

STR 8, DEX 19, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 7, CHA 10

Weapons Proficiency: missile weapons; small sword

Thief Abilities: PP 45, OL 45

Equipment: Typical Thief's gear, including Studded Leather Armor and a Dagger.

Magical Items: She always carries around a Lucky Rabbit's Foot, which has a minor luck enchantment. While she currently doesn't have any other magical equipment, she would be absolutely thrilled to get her hands on some.

Combat/Tactics: Whatever the player decides, although her personally preference is to backstab the nearest enemy, run away and start firing arrows until everyone's dead.

Allies/Companions: Obviously her main allies are the PC and the rest of her current group; her parents, Jolle and Estel; the Halfling communities of Baldur's Gate, Iriaebor and to a lesser extent Berdusk would also help her out if she was in trouble; she's also made friends with a handful of other Thieves in Baldur's Gate.

Foes/Enemies: Alora is too likeable to have any real enemies, but as an independent Thief, the Baldur's Gate Thieves' Guild isn't particularly fond of her; a few nobles in the city would be very "interested" to learn who was responsible for certain robberies; she holds a strong dislike for the Zhentarim, although it's doubtful that anyone in that organisation would even know who she is

Personality: Cute, lively and outgoing, Alora generally seems more like a playful, affectionate and sometimes mischevious human girl than a grown up Halfling woman.  Life as a Thief doesn't seem to have adversely affected her at all - if anything, she's thriving off of it. 

She has yet to have had any real romantic relationship, and she is often just as flirtatious and cheeky around women than she is around men.  Perhaps one day someone will take advantage of this innocence and naievity, but she's so likeable that it seems unlikely.

Locales Frequented: Alora spends most of her time in Baldur's Gate, but may make the occassional foray to a nearby town or city.  She has yet to return to her home city of Iriaebor, but it seems likely she may feel the need to sometime in the future.

History: Alora is originally from Iriaebor, a city to the east of Baldur's Gate which is more-or-less halfway between there and the infamous city of Westgate.  There she had a relatively normal childhood, living and later working in the inn her parents, Jolle and Estel, owned.  While Jolle had himself grown up in the inn (which has been called the Sign of the Dreaming Dragon for as long as anyone can remember), Estel was a priestess of Eldath and a retired adventurer; as such, the young Alora had a habit of pestering her for tales of her great deeds and heroic adventures.

Alora wasn't the only member of the family to take interested in such tales, however.  Her eldest brother, Erone, had no desire for adventure or travel; he listened intently only to the stories involving the more shady side of the adventuring trade: the backstreet meetings, the secret deals, and so on.  Eventually he fell in with Iriaebor's thriving criminal underworld, performing all manner of unseemingly tasks for the semi-legal merchant houses of the city.

Inevitably his parents learnt of his actions, and desperately tried to make him rethink his chosen lifestyle.  Their words fell on deaf ears, however, and when Erone somehow managed to get involved with a local Talosian cult, Estel was forced to make a choice between her god and her son; she chose her god, and the family disowned Erone.  Nothing has been heard from him since.

Soon after her 15th birthday in 1361, her mother's legacy proved too tempting, and Alora decided it was time to make her own way in the world. She first travelled north to the nearby town of Asbrawn, and from there she continued west to Berdusk, where she stayed with two former companions of her mother's, who like Estel had decided to settle down and start a family.

A couple of months later, Alora headed northwest to Elturel, and from there  west to Baldur's Gate.  Although she had originally intended to travel all the way to the fabled Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate intrigued Alora enough for her to make it her home.

The local Halfling community welcomed her readily enough, but she soon began to find that she still didn't feel content.  At first she thought that the wanderlust had returned, but a chain of events led her to discover her future profession: thievery.  Whether it was pretending to be an innocent human child and picking the pockets of gullible passers-by, or picking locks in some rich noble's house, Alora had discovered what she considered her true calling in life.

In 1364, Alora was extremely distressed to learn that her childhood home of Iriaebor had been captured by Zhentish forces.  She wanted to return there to help her friends and family (if they hadn't already been sold as slaved or even killed) but, concerned for her safety, her friends in Baldur's Gate managed to persuade her against it.  The fact that an evil Zhent warrioress now ruled the city was bad enough, but there were rumours of an ancient evil stirring beneath the city.

Since then Alora has been content to live the life of a Thief, although recently she's begun to embark on more dangerous and rewarding burglaries.  This has earned her the attention of the local Thieves' guild, who had previously been content to allow her carry on as her pickpocketing and minor robberies weren't seen as a threat. 

Motivations/Goals: Simply living life, and having as fun as possible whilst doing it.  Also, encouraging others to do the same.

She didn't begin adventuring at that age, just travelling :(.

The aging difference isn't that much anyway. A 45 year old human is the equivalent of a 50 year old halfling, a 60 year old human is the equivalent of a 67 year old halfling, and a 90 year old human is the equivalent of a 100 year old halfling. So judging by that formula, a 12 year old human is the equivalent of a 13 year old halfling.

Archived